Snacking at night destroying my good work!!

Options
Hello...
I’m about 4 weeks in after starting about 1million times before! But I really need to get my act together! I plan my evening treat - but then I pop back into the kitchen for a “little” something else and then suddenly I have gone over. Today I’ve written a list of 100 calorie snacks that I like and I will also be eating half my calories gained through exercise. Anyone else got any tips Or want to buddy up if you’re in the same boat? x

Replies

• dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Idk I’m with you. My problem isn’t going over on calories or anything but it’s me not eating clean a whole lot. Have you been logging everything even the late night stuff?
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Same habit here - fine till 11pm then eating as though for a seige. I should just go to bed but the munchies coincide with a last surge of awake feelings - and a feeling of deprivation - must be hormonal, it seems very common.
  • curlywurlie
    curlywurlie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    dlbohl1991 wrote: »
    Idk I’m with you. My problem isn’t going over on calories or anything but it’s me not eating clean a whole lot. Have you been logging everything even the late night stuff?
    I wasn’t but I have started and also weighed everything yesterday, even the carrot for for lunch! I did burn quite a lot yesterday as I did 2 dog walks and a session at the gym with a PT! Like you I reach for easy quick eats which aren’t clean. Which is why I researched ideas for 100 calorie snacks! I’m just annoyed at myself as if I stuck to it properly I could be half a stone down now!
  • curlywurlie
    curlywurlie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same habit here - fine till 11pm then eating as though for a seige. I should just go to bed but the munchies coincide with a last surge of awake feelings - and a feeling of deprivation - must be hormonal, it seems very common.
    I’ve known myself go to get something right before bed, then had a word with myself and put it back! Why do I need anything so close to bed when I’ll be asleep in 15 mins. Though this does t happen all the time
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I’ve found that the 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with the “mother” mixed with 8 ounces of water helps control my appetite. Maybe try that before bed?
  • SugaSugaNooo
    SugaSugaNooo Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. I'm now trying the "no more eating after 7pm" approach. So not one small snack (as these always roll into more) but none. Cup of Earl grey tea maybe.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    you are supposed to eat back a reasonable estimate of your calories though so that's actually good.

pre-log your day or log mid-day and account for the snack. take the portion, leave the kitchen and eat it. then go brush your teeth immediately or have a big glass of water.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I plan 2 evening snacks, 1 at around 8pm and a small 1 just before bed. Why the schedule? Delay. If find waiting for something that fits my plan a lot easier than just say no. I find closing the kitchen to be anxiety producing. Not something I need just before bed.

So I save about 60 calories for the very end of the day. Sometimes I skip that one. But it helps to have it available.

And maybe this- are your 100 calorie snacks a satisfying portion? My main snack is 120 calories of no sugar added ice cream.
    If that same 120 calories was cookies, it would be gone in a flash. Do you take any other factors into account besides the number? I want snacks that are worth it. If I keep to my plan, I keep getting ice cream.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    sounds like this is happening because you are under your caloric needs - especially if you aren't eating back workout calories
  • rosemeryhx3
    rosemeryhx3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m definitely on the same boat! If I’m out the house, I’m able to resist the urge to buy an unhealthy snack but once I’m home and I walk into the kitchen - I’m ready to grab the “quick & easy” which isn’t healthy and I always want to keep going. Sort of like binge eating; but I started to do what you’re doing - Made a list of snacks that have 100 calories (or less, depending) and I log in everything, so I usually save at least 120 calaron for that night time snack (like someone previously stated). So far, So good. I’d love to buddy up for some extra motivation to each other, etc ♥️
  • Bhaber7
    Bhaber7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning my foods and snacks has been the answer for me. I have today's foods pre-entered and I know I have room for a snack late this afternoon and tonight. My bigger problem is snacks earlier in the day - if I do that I won't have calories left for tonight. Pre-entering and knowing that I'm stealing tonight's snack if I eat it earlier helps me.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    switch your evening snack to a protein like grilled chicken strips or hard boiled egg whites.. or perhaps a few boiled shrimp. In short..dont snack on tasty 100 calorie bags of anything. and drink herbal tea. The ritual of eating a low fat protein and drinking some tea will at least take the place of eating munchy snacks that make it impossible to stop eating.