Nearly a thousand calories in a dinner largely 'just' from vegetables

Options
nooboots
nooboots Posts: 480 Member
My tea tonight is a microwaved pot of cabbage 280g, 400g of pre prepared roasting vegetables, 80g of feta and olive mix, 100g of pickled beetroot and a handful of cherry tomatoes. I put 25g of grated cheese over the roasted veg.

Years ago I wouldnt have even considered the calories in that because its 'healthy'.

It will fill me up physically but I know that I will remain feeling 'empty' through the night. Im dreading it.

And Im dreading the resultant wind!

Replies

• nooboots
    Options
    Lorleee wrote: »
    Why eat it then if you're dreading it? :)

Because my plan was to eat one of the veggie sides with a burger or some chicken. But then i realised they both need using up, so thought I would have them both with a burger but then realised I cant 'afford' a piece of protein with them.

Never mind.

Anyway Im halfway through it now.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    If you're dreading it, I'm sure the leftovers will be fine overnight??
  • nooboots
    Options
    I suppose they must have. The cabbage says it has butter in the ingredients but I couldnt really discern any.

The roasted veg didnt appear very oily but did have oil in the ingredients.

My point was really about the fact that its easy to assume that because they are non starchy veg (cabbage, courgette, peppers, onion) they hardly count. Years ago I wouldnt have considered the intake from them but now I do. Obviously olives and feta are slightly more substantial but they didnt make up the most of the calories.
  • nooboots
    Options

What leftovers?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Since when does cabbage have butter? 😑
  • nooboots
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

I already explained, these are pre prepared pots of veg.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

What leftovers?

I guess I don't understand what you are looking for with this post.
  • nooboots
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Oh, well that's the difference. If you use fresh veg and oil and season yourself then it's not nearly as caloric. I think that's what confused me about your post but it makes sense now.

Yes, i was surprised myself at them as to look at them, they're not drenched in fats or oils to the eye. My point was just about how you must count everything and not assume that just because they are fairly watery veg that there wont be a lot of calories in them.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options

Sorry, I must have missed that. I just reread your initial post and still missed it. Must be my old eyes.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of veggies, over a pound and a half. And what, maybe $3? I certainly wouldn't overeat and run the risk of GI discomfort over a couple of bucks. But hey, to each his own.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Shows us that anything, even veggies, can be high calorie depending on how it’s prepared, and what’s on top of it. Preparing it ourselves, we can really control calorie count.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    OP Says she is dreading the resulting wind, not the pile of veg which on reading I thought sounded like a fab dinner ! I do love roast veg !

To your point OP, I would say the biggest change in eating for me from being right lardy to being 40lb less so is my use of of olive oil and butter. I have gone froms sploshing it around / slapping it on toast as I fancy to measuring / weighing it. I know fat is fat but somewhere along the line, I think I thought EVOO was somehow better but that stuff is just as calorific despite being all sorts of yummy !!

Finally, when faced with a pile of veg, I eat as much as poss and then keep the leftovers for bubble and squeak the next day - any veg will do ! Or it goes into a blender with veg or chicken stock to become soup (probably the better option).

Thanks for sharing OP - I think its a good reminder to be mindful about pre-prepared food.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Prepackaged foods are just not worth it, in my opinion. Even the most novice of cooks can roast veggies successfully.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I think I see OP's POV in that I just don't think it's that big a deal to force oneself to eat leftovers you aren't super excited about to avoid waste. Often I can find ways to get myself more excited about them, however. If OP feels like he/she will be hungry all evening or feel bad, that's different, but for me eating a slightly less filling dinner on one night is not going to be a big thing -- last night I had a leftover homemade cold vegetable soup (which I was excited about) and since I didn't have anything obvious to go with it and thought it wouldn't be that filling on its own (it was low cal), but I didn't feel like shopping or significant cooking, I just had some roasted potatoes. Not an ideal dinner in terms of protein, but satisfying enough (I think it ended up being less than 400 cal in this case, however). (I also agree that it can be common for people not used to calorie counting to just assume a "healthy" meal, like a salad or something veg-based, can't be high cal.)

(I also found that an easy way to cut cals in my own cooking was just using less olive oil or other added fats (not none), so in agreement with OoohToast on that one.)