Working out when ill

Options
ceiswyn
ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
Obviously if you have the 'flu or a really stinking cold or something, you shouldn't work out. But how about the convalescent phase, when you're well enough to be at work (say) but still feeling under the weather?

Is it likely to be in any way harmful to do a fairly intense workout as usual (say, a BodyPump class or similar, to pull an example completely out of thin air), or should you go light or maybe skip it completely?

Asking for a friend... :*

Replies

• OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello OP - I think it depends on what the illness was. I think if its a flu like virus then resting, nutrition and hydration are the priorities even through the convalescence stage. I say this from experience and getting back into a regime too quickly which essentially gave the virus the oppurtunity to have a round #2 at my expense !

Up until the point I had flu, I thought I had had it a number of times - not true ! They had all been various types of cold or chest infection up until that point.

How would I explain the difference ? If after 3 days of proper rest you are still thinking you might never feel well again / perhaps be dying, then its probably flu. I had it last year - was in bed / on the sofa for a fortnight, took another 6 - 8 weeks to get back to health with a relapse in the middle.

It was bad.

Colds, TOM, Gastro-doodahs etc - as long as you are hydrated and can keep food in, I think you can ease back in to the exercise regime.

Wishing your 'friend' imrpoved health !
  • 6raham
    6raham Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I go lighter with my workouts for example a low impact hiit for 20 minutes, I actually find getting a bit of a sweat on clears me out a bit, a hot shower afterwards and im good to go
  • ceiswyn
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Unfortunately I have only too much experience with the difference between the two; this was definitely a cold :)

When you say 'ease' back in, though, do you mean my, err, friend shouldn't go full-on while she's still feeling rough?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling ok and want to do something, like a walk for instance that would be OK, or something low impact. If it is a cold then personally I'd push through it, if its an infection instead, rest up.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Unfortunately I have only too much experience with the difference between the two; this was definitely a cold :)

When you say 'ease' back in, though, do you mean my, err, friend shouldn't go full-on while she's still feeling rough?

Yeah do not go full-on when you're still feeling ill, even the tail ends of being sick.
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Yeah do not go full-on when you're still feeling ill, even the tail ends of being sick.

I think my friend may currently be learning this one the hard way. But at least now she knows she's not just being somehow feeble in feeling like warmed-over death after a 5am start, a BodyPump class, and a day of work, and can hopefully cut herself a bit more slack next time...

Thankyou all!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I think my friend may currently be learning this one the hard way. But at least now she knows she's not just being somehow feeble in feeling like warmed-over death after a 5am start, a BodyPump class, and a day of work, and can hopefully cut herself a bit more slack next time...

Thankyou all!
    Good luck to your "friend" ;) I have a friend who is very similar - this past winter when we would work out together (coached rowing machine workouts) I may have given her some very pointed looks to remind her not to do too much.