Eating too much protein

elmiller9
elmiller9 Posts: 13 Member
Hey guys, I’m really struggling to not go over my daily protein intake. Will this affect my results? (Weight loss) n8xxsoz98poj.jpeg

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Calories are what matter for weight management. The default macros are just that...a default. There is nothing special about them.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Honestly you probably could use at least that much protein (I don't know your weight so can't give precise recommendations). If you are on 1200 calories, 20% for protein is pretty low, and won't give you enough protein for optimal muscle retention during weight loss. You may want to customize your macro percentage to 40-30-30 so you don't feel like you are "going over"
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    If anything protein will improve things. Its highly satiating and thermogenic. And at 83g, you are not that high.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    If you naturally eat more protein, then a 40/30/30 split (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat) make work better for you.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    29% protein is not too high unless your doctor told you to limit protein due to a medical condition. In general, unless you have a relevant medical issue, it's fine to go over any of the MFP macro defaults as long as you are still in a deficit.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2019
    Like you will totally become Ronnie Coleman-esque...hint English/wording = joking
    ey1zc9r4m56e.png

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    As stated, unless you have a medical condition or you are having so much protein it is crowding out other nutrients (which wouldn't stall progress weight wise but will be more about overall health and balance) you are fine. I usually have around 150-160g when in a deficit which is a lot higher than I probably really need but it helps keep me full and on track.
  • elmiller9
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Honestly you probably could use at least that much protein (I don't know your weight so can't give precise recommendations). If you are on 1200 calories, 20% for protein is pretty low, and won't give you enough protein for optimal muscle retention during weight loss. You may want to customize your macro percentage to 40-30-30 so you don't feel like you are "going over"

I’m 64.8kg. Thank you that makes sense!
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 479 Member
    ...god I wish I had this problem.

Protein is great! Tons of benefits to a high protein diet, and it will be better for muscle maintainence and growth if that's something you're interested in.

In other words, you're eating very well!
  • elmiller9
    ...god I wish I had this problem.

Protein is great! Tons of benefits to a high protein diet, and it will be better for muscle maintainence and growth if that's something you're interested in.

In other words, you're eating very well!

Thank you! Yes, that’s definitely one of my goals!
  • elmiller9
    Like you will totally become Ronnie Coleman-esque...hint English/wording = joking
    ey1zc9r4m56e.png

🤣