New programme from PT- does this sound legit

Options
Today as part of my new gym membership, I had a free consultation with a personal trainer. The whole experience was very unsatisfying- he didn't do any weigh Ins, asked me halfway through the warm up what I wanted to get out of this but didn't let me elaborate. Anyway, the plan he suggested for me is
1) full body workout three times per week. The same workout each time. It is mostly machines, and one or two cable exercises
2) 40 to 60 minutes of cardio on the other days

My question is- is it a good idea to do the SAME workout three times per week? Is this effective? It just seems monotonous and lazy to me

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If it’s full body - sure - you’ll stimulate the body by changing weights;

Why not try it for a couple weeks then adjust
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. Tell his supervisor. You deserve a real consultation, and they need feedback so they can provide it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Theres nothing wrong with what he recommended. Full body 3x is great especially for a beginner. My concern would be if you’re new to exercise, the weights PLUS 3x cardio @40-60 could be too much. You may need at least a few months to build up to that level of activity.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    fraklein wrote: »
    I agree with you 100%. Tell his supervisor. You deserve a real consultation, and they need feedback so they can provide it.

Why? It was a free consultation, not an in depth personalized plan. It sounds sufficient for what it was.

If the plan stimulates all of the muscles, there's no reason you need to switch it up. There is no benefit to "doing different things" besides finding it more enjoyable. But you can do 3 days a week of the same thing and continue to make gains.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Can’t comment on the quality of the trainer, but one of the biggest mistakes people make, esp beginners, is doing too many different exercises and changing them too frequently. The average person could see success with probably only 6-8 exercises, modified slightly (e.g changing wt/rep/set configurations, alternating incline press w/flat bench, etc), and followed for a year.

A beginner will improve with virtually any kind of lifting. And he didn’t give you a program for the rest of your life, he gave you a program for 3-6 weeks.