8 weeks in. Weight loss stalled

Options
lemmonie21
lemmonie21 Posts: 11 Member
So I’m 8 weeks in. 1200 calories a day. Ultimately I have lost total of 9lbs. So 1lbs a week. I wanted and hoped to lose more but I’m also happy with it. But last theee weeks weight hasn’t budged. I’ve stayed the same. Why?!
Exercise is the same. 2-3 45 min circuit training, 1 weight lifting session, 1 spin class and three hour long walks a week.
Food I don’t always eat my exercise calories that day but will go into them at the weekend although I’m not a drinker so don’t use them on calories

Any help or pointers I will be very grateful for

Replies

• BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    To be blunt, you're not actually eating 1200 calories. Your diary indicates you're not using a food scale. You're eating more than you think. Buy a scale and weigh your food.

Yep, time for a food scale!
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've had similar stalls, even weighing my food, but it's still a good idea to do it. Accuracy helps make sure you are getting what you think. Just don't let the stall get to you. It's perfectly normal.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    So you actually lost 9lbs in 5 weeks? Thats an awful lot
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    To be blunt, you're not actually eating 1200 calories. Your diary indicates you're not using a food scale. You're eating more than you think. Buy a scale and weigh your food.

Im not sure its the weighing that is not being done, there is weighing, I think its the logging because there are some suspect entries like 3g of salad cream or .13 of a tin of beans, there are lots like that which seem typos to me or entries that are not checked properly. 3g of salad cream is like a pea size I would imagine, god knows how many beans you would get out of just over a tenth of a tin.
  • lemmonie21
    Options
    No I am weighing!! Definitely not guessing!
    I count it all.
  • lemmonie21
    Options
    Some of the amounts like a tenth of a tin of beans are because I’ve made a meal for the whole family with lots left to freeze and I’ve guessed as I’ve had a fraction of the meal once made
  • lemmonie21
    Options
    Yeah sometimes I cook the family a meal then I end up having a couple of tablespoons of it whilst it’s cooking so guess at the meat/beans/tomato/sauce etc. I would choose a 0.2tin of beans for that one!!
    Perhaps I need to avoid cooking dinners like that for me so ensure calories are easier to check and stop picking at their meals!
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    lemmonie21 wrote: »
    No I am weighing!!

No, you're not.

Non-weights from your journal = steaks, sticks, slices, sizes (small banana), volumes (tbsp), cans...

And your weights are too spot on-100 grams, 160 grams, etc.-which leads me to believe you may not actually weigh anything.

If you are trying to eat 1200 calories and lose weight, you are not losing weight because you are not eating 1200 calories.
  • lemmonie21
    Options
    I’m not sure I follow. I use the barcode scanner to scan the packet. For example fish sticks today. Then I choose how many I had.
    Pasta I find the food from the list and it told
    Me how many calories were in 100g so I weighed out 100g worth and ate it
    Ham sliced are because I take one slice and on the pack it says 39 calories a slice
  • lemmonie21
    Options
    and even if the banana I ate was actually 15 more calories than the small one I choose surely I’m not consuming 800 extra calories a day to take me to 2000 where is perhaps what I would eat to maintain?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure I follow. I use the barcode scanner to scan the packet. For example fish sticks today. Then I choose how many I had.
    Ham sliced are because I take one slice and on the pack it says 39 calories a slice

100 grams of pasta dead on? not 103 or so?
    As for packaged items, you still need to weigh those as 1 fish stick may weigh 20% more than the package says.
    and 15 cals on one item isn't much, but if you are off by 15 cals on each and everything, that adds up

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure I follow. I use the barcode scanner to scan the packet. For example fish sticks today. Then I choose how many I had....Ham sliced are because I take one slice and on the pack it says 39 calories a slice

Sticks and slices have different weights as between each other.

A label might say something like: "Serving Size: 5 Slice (52g)"

That means the calories are for 52 grams and there are roughly 52gs in 5 slices, however 5 slices may actually be 60gs, or 40gs. The same applies for all non-weights (pieces, cans, tsps, etc.).

Buy a food scale-they're less than $10 on Amazon-and weigh your food.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Make sure the entries you're selecting in the database match the information on the box/package of food you're consuming. There are tons of incorrect entries in the MFP database because they're user-generated. Additionally, packaged food can actually be wayyyyy off. Sometimes up to 40% by weight. Even if the package says 10 fish sticks = 80 grams, put 10 fish sticks on your food scale and see if that's accurate. I had several WTF moments after I started weighing most of my packaged food. Throughout the day and week, those small 30-100 calorie differences add up. Let's say three of your packaged foods per day were 50 calories more than the info claimed. That's an extra 1,050 calories a week. Doesn't seem like a lot, but that's equivalent to over a pound of fat a month.