Diet Sickess and Faint?

Options
Hi,

Everytime im on a diet the hunger pains dont bother me too much but then the loss of energy feeling sick and fainty makes me just want to quit because i dont want to feel that way. The most on a diet ive done is 1 month. Im not massively overweight i want to lose 2-3 stone. But recently have been diagnosed with celiac/coeliac disease which il be going gluten free next week and im scared to death! Il only be eating meal replacements etc as i hate veg and fruit and all the good stuff my diet consist of junk food but with food limitations now dont know what to do :(

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Yes agree with what @Panini911 said. A diet shouldn't make you feel sick and fainty. That means that you are likely not eating enough. Trying to lose your weight quickly leads you to losing your weight never, so it is better to go slower with a reasonable rate of loss.

There's A LOT of different foods out there, so even though celiacs will put some limitations on you (there are a lot of gluten free alternatives to items), there is still a lot you can eat. I would ditch the meal replacement shakes, and focus on figuring out what type of real foods you can like and eat as part of your diet. Meats? Dairy? Nuts? Beans? Fish? Seafood? There's a lot out there. And on fruit and vegetables, there are literally hundreds of different kinds out there. You just have to try to experiment more and find ones you like. I used to think that fruits and veggies was basically like "broccoli, carrots, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and apples and oranges", and I didn't eat very much of it. Now I eat mangoes and pineapple and avocado and mandarins and kiwi and passion fruit and rambutan and all sorts of fruits and veggies, some I had never even heard of before.

Eating a balanced nutritious diet with enough carbs, fats, protein and vitamins and minerals will also help you prevent this "diet sickness" you have felt during other dieting attempts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling sick and fainty, you're probably not eating enough calorie wise or nutritionally sound. A reasonable calorie deficit should be fairly easy to maintain with no symptoms whatsoever.
  • catsbfit
    catsbfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're feeling sick and fainty, you're probably not eating enough calorie wise or nutritionally sound. A reasonable calorie deficit should be fairly easy to maintain with no symptoms whatsoever.

I aimed for 1,200 and 1350 cals

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    catzzm9768 wrote: »

1200 is the bare minimum recommended for a sedentary female for basic functions. It's the most aggressive target their is...so no brainer here.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

If you don't have much to lose, you should set MFP to the slowest rate of loss available. Eat the number of calories MFP gives you for that setting. You should also be eating back your exercise calories.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

1200 is the bare minimum recommended for a sedentary female for basic functions. It's the most aggressive target their is...so no brainer here.

Which is MUCH too little based on your previous posts aying MFP recommends 1640 PLUS exercise calories. this is why you felt faint at 1200-1350.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10748516/need-new-friends-with-similar-stats-and-goals

ETA: you are right on the line between normal and overweight at 25.8. so yes a rate of loss of 0.5 is good. you could do max 1lb/week for a few more pounds then drop to 0.5.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I try two new foods per week, typically veggies. Why don't you give it a try? You can't say that you hate everything until you try everything. 😉
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Just my own experience :)

When I was first diagnosed with celiac disease, I felt the same way. My diet was heavy on packaged food and while I did eat whole foods, I wasn't particularly fond of them unless they were seasoned and/or sauced. I felt like I was doomed to an unsatisfying, boring diet for eternity, so depressing. Did your doctor refer you to a dietitian, or at least give you a list of foods you can/can't eat?

If you need to focus on gluten-free eating and don't want to change your habits all at once, there is a gluten-free equivalent of pretty much everything out there (except for San Francisco sour dough bread, and I'm bitter about that :)) . Flavor and texture will be a little different for baked goods (some are much better than others), and you may find yourself drifting naturally toward things that are inherently gluten-free (corn tortillas instead of alternate-flour, for instance). After a while, since I was preparing more food at home, I also drifted toward a more whole foods way of eating, though I still incorporate packaged foods. In the beginning, it's easier to look for the gf symbol on the package instead of going through the ingredient list looking for gluten - things like "natural flavors" can be derived from wheat, barley or rye, and there's no obligation to point this out on the label.

If you want to manage your weight at the same time, my advice would be to set a small deficit so that you're not battling on two fronts at once. In the beginning it may seem like the perfect opportunity to lose weight quickly because of the food restrictions, but in my experience, that typically results in an extended boomerang pity-party of overeating every new gf product you discover.

I found this site extremely helpful when I was starting out - you might take a look, there's tons of information.
    www.celiac.com

The very best of luck - it's absolutely possibe to have celiac disease, find plenty of nutrient-dense, delicious food, and lose weight (I've lost 50 pounds, not as a result of my diagnosis, but by monitoring calories).
  • catsbfit
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Which is MUCH too little based on your previous posts aying MFP recommends 1640 PLUS exercise calories. this is why you felt faint at 1200-1350.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10748516/need-new-friends-with-similar-stats-and-goals

ETA: you are right on the line between normal and overweight at 25.8. so yes a rate of loss of 0.5 is good. you could do max 1lb/week for a few more pounds then drop to 0.5.

I tried the 1640 but the weight loss was too slow felt like i tried so hard for nothing :(

• catsbfit
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

^^^Agreed. Without much more info on your stats (ht/wt/activity level, etc...) and your diary closed we can't offer too much more help.
    Il only be eating meal replacements etc as i hate veg and fruit and all the good stuff my diet consist of junk food

This is also a recipe for failure. It's time to start adulting and eating the right stuff. A balanced diet of fruits, veggies, protein, etc.... then you can mix in the treats.

How do i remove it from private so i can show you
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

^^^Agreed. Without much more info on your stats (ht/wt/activity level, etc...) and your diary closed we can't offer too much more help.
    Il only be eating meal replacements etc as i hate veg and fruit and all the good stuff my diet consist of junk food

This is also a recipe for failure. It's time to start adulting and eating the right stuff. A balanced diet of fruits, veggies, protein, etc.... then you can mix in the treats.

How do i remove it from private so i can show you

I believe:

Food > Settings > at the bottom of the screen make sure diary is set to public.

How slow was the weight loss that it was too slow?

Do you exercise and enter into MFP? Are you using a food scale or are you guessing?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

I tried the 1640 but the weight loss was too slow felt like i tried so hard for nothing :(

how long did you try?
    what is "too slow"?

you are very close to healthy weight so loss WILL be slow in order to be safe. and really isn't it better to go slow and stick to it VS undereat, feel sick and quit and never get to goal?

your are logging grams, so assuming you are properly weight and logging. Do you weigh the protein powder? that's one that should be weighed VS measured by scoop.
    your last few days have under 700 cals logged.

generally it's also recommended to weigh even packaged items (ex: 2 cookies) as the weight can be off. but this can be left for if all else fails.

while not related to weight loss, a vegetable now and then could be a good idea ;) nor would more protein.