• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Libby283 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I talked about a balanced diet I was chiefly wondering out loud where you get your variety in proteins. Because if bored with chicken, then, variety. You’ve brushed by any suggestions to try tofu. Or ham outside Thanksgiving.

As you have brushed off with my suggestion to try pasta (eggless of course).

Variety does not equal salad. Veggies also come cooked. Like Spaghetti squash, or anything in the frozen veggie aisle.

Then there’s the fruits.

I have tried tofu, ham, actual steak, alligator, venison... I just don’t like it.

Don’t care for spaghetti squash either. Nor sweet potato fries. I have always been picky. This is making it way harder.

I can’t cook. Nor do I have a desire to do it. I know that seems crazy to everyone, but that’s how it is. I have packed a lunch of a salad every day this week from home. Monday I heated up black beans and turned them into petrified rabbit turds. Every day since I have thrown my salad away, and ordered something that I wanted to eat.
    I don't think what's in bold sounds crazy to many of us. What it sounds is foolhardy and like a really easy way to make your life miserable, shoot yourself in the foot, and set your children up for having no concept of cooking (which is quite for them). You're doing quite a lot of complaining about what you can't have and you have a lot of power to change that. That you don't want to is on you.

Both my 8 year old and 15 year old can cook and bake. My daughter has many champion ribbons. I don’t cook. And yes the biggest obstacle is I don’t want to. Growing up my brother started dinner, and I would choose to do farm chores and milk cows in lieu of cooking. He is an excellent cook. My hatred for the activity is strong. It is like sewing. My mother would make me make an outfit, after many long hours, I wouldn’t wear it because the sight of it aggravated me. Same with cooking. When I make something, I know longer want to eat it. The only cooking I do is heating up pizza or nuggets, frying or scrambling an egg. I consider frying bacon an event....

How do your kids get the food to cook and bake if you only go to the grocery store 3 or 4 times a year?

mph323 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if you never set foot in a grocery store, and don't cook at all, what do you feed your kids?

eta This is getting weirder by the minute...

As I said earlier, we eat out a lot. Mostly local restaurants. Sometimes pizza delivered to pool. Sometimes Chick-fil-a. We don’t eat at any other fast food places.

My fiancé stops into store to get basics like milk, coffee, tea, drinks, snacks. He cooks sometimes. Like throwing chicken on the smoker.
    Well and now my fiancé has given up cooking anything because it’s so hard to find things I can eat.

I never thought I would be stuck with eating grits for dinner. But when the choices are that or salad...

I ordered a cheesesteak for lunch, because I just could not do the lettuce, shredded carrots, mushrooms and spoon of black beans... of course I got a reaction. By theory it should have been fine.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    First you need to go to a doctor and get a proper allergy test done. It could be how the food is preserved or cured rather than the food itself. If it’s an intolerance then these can sometimes be reversed. Then have a dietician help you once your results are in.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    edited June 2019
    MikePTY wrote: »
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that home cooked meals - ideally made as a family - will be healthier for everyone in the household, what about the very real message you are currently sending your children?? Will it be ok for your kids to refuse to do homework because it is too hard? Will they be allowed to start & quit sports or music or student council because they hit a bump in the road? Dropping out of high school has to be easier than having to work hard or trying tutoring or developing new study skills...
    Your children are watching & waiting for your example of how to tackle the challenges ahead!!

That is quite the leap... I have accepted many challenges. One being buying foreclosures, fixing them and selling them by myself. I have always been a lower income single mom, but have put myself in a position that we live in a beautiful large house in an excellent area. I just put my teen on a plane to go to Italy. We belong to a country club. I an afford to eat out....We don’t live the normal single mom lifestyle. That was my how I chose to focus my energy. But you sit home and cook if that’s the lesson you want to give your kids. My son wants to own a Lamborghini at some point. He knows with hard work, he can achieve that goal.

Not sure what your alleged financial status has to do with anything? At one point in his life, my father was very weathly (sidenote he lives much more modestly now as wealth can be fleeting so it's not something that's the best thing to build one's self worth on). He ran a company with 5000 employees and lived in a house that wad 2 elevators in it. But even then, when he was around, he always cooked for his family. Cooking: it's not just for the poors.

But if you are of an upper financial status, that provides you with resources to help you tackle this, so your desire not to is even more of your own choice, and your circumstances are of your own making. You could pay for cooking lessons, to learn how to cook. You could pay for therapy/counseling, to address the issues from your past that are preventing you from making this simple and positive change in your life. So you do have plenty of options. But only you can actually do them.

Great idea! If you cant cook, and are independently wealthy, why not take cooking classes?