Nike ad using plus size mannequins

Options
lurbo5zf0upr.jpg
So this image was posted on LinkedIn of all places, and I was shocked by the number of people who made terrible comments that Nike is promoting obesity. What is wrong with people?? I think it's great because how are people supposed to work out if they don't have clothes that fit?

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Did Nike always sell plus size clothing before this?
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    @vanityy99 Not always. It's relatively new, I'd say within the last couple of years or so.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What does "torrid" mean?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    What does "torrid" mean?

Hot, dry, possibly full of difficulty or strife. Different usages that usually work out the same through the context.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    What does "torrid" mean?

Hot, dry, possibly full of difficulty or strife. Different usages that usually work out the same through the context.

I take my comment back, this is correct.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    What does "torrid" mean?

I take my comment back, this is correct.

Ah - I didn't know it was used as a clothing brand! :)
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    That's odd. I didn't see the promoting obesity comments but I did see comments complaining that the mannequin actually wasn't plus size enough. There were comments that Nike is only inclusive of "small fats" and that this wasn't good enough. It's like nobody can win either way.

I think it's great that Nike is trying. The majority of the US qualifies as obese but that doesn't mean that they are the bulk of people buying Nike workout clothes so Nike doesn't really have to do anything. At least they're making an effort; I think being more inclusive is better than not even trying at all.

On the posting I saw on my feed on LinkedIn, there were more negative comments that positive, and all but one were made by men.