I'm failing Keto

Options
I am 61 years old and have multiple health problems (kidney disease, heart disease, COPD, pre-diabetic, chronic pain, etc.) that have resulted in 30 lbs of weight gain in 3 years and I can't seem to lose it. I am now 60 lbs overweight. Heard about Keto and after researching it decided to give it a try and started June 1st. I use a blood monitor and measure glucose and ketones about 1-2 hours after I wake up and 2 hours after meals. I used the Keto calculator and my macros are 1400 cals, 20g carbs, 79g protein and 112g fat and measure out my food and use MyFitnessPal to keep track. I am usually under all my macros except protein but am working on less protein and more fat. I have 1 T. of MCT oil and take BHB ketones once or twice a day.

Starting levels were ketones .4 and glucose 106, after 3 weeks ketones .4 and glucose 110. I measure out my food and keep track with myfitnesspal. I usually "fast" for about 12-14 hours between my last meal and first meal of the next day. I have lost 3 lbs but know that is water weight because I gain it back and then lose it again (my heart disease) so at this time it appears I have lost nothing but money. Have watched numerous videos and read lots of articles on no weight lost, stalling, etc. on keto but it appears I am doing everything right. My last resort is a several day fast but I have done that in the past and only loss energy and memory. I am discouraged and at a loss as to what I am doing wrong or need to be doing. Anyone have any ideas regarding a coach or resource that could help?

Replies

• nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    KADC57 wrote: »
    I am 61 years old and have multiple health problems (kidney disease, heart disease, COPD, pre-diabetic, chronic pain, etc.) that have resulted in 30 lbs of weight gain in 3 years and I can't seem to lose it. I am now 60 lbs overweight. Heard about Keto and after researching it decided to give it a try and started June 1st. I use a blood monitor and measure glucose and ketones about 1-2 hours after I wake up and 2 hours after meals. I used the Keto calculator and my macros are 1400 cals, 20g carbs, 79g protein and 112g fat and measure out my food and use MyFitnessPal to keep track. I am usually under all my macros except protein but am working on less protein and more fat. I have 1 T. of MCT oil and take BHB ketones once or twice a day.

Starting levels were ketones .4 and glucose 106, after 3 weeks ketones .4 and glucose 110. I measure out my food and keep track with myfitnesspal. I usually "fast" for about 12-14 hours between my last meal and first meal of the next day. I have lost 3 lbs but know that is water weight because I gain it back and then lose it again (my heart disease) so at this time it appears I have lost nothing but money. Have watched numerous videos and read lots of articles on no weight lost, stalling, etc. on keto but it appears I am doing everything right. My last resort is a several day fast but I have done that in the past and only loss energy and memory. I am discouraged and at a loss as to what I am doing wrong or need to be doing. Anyone have any ideas regarding a coach or resource that could help?

All of that sounds like a mensa test and seems to be adding more stress to your life (by the sounds of it).

Why dont you just commit 6 weeks to counting your calories alone, doing it properly by weighing your food and picking the right entries in the list. Then if you feel that this method is not working for you then you can say that you could try something else. But honestly keep life simple
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Keto works great for some people who find it a natural way of eating. Those who were probably already lower carb and found fat/protein more filling.

However, it isn't for everyone. there is no requirement that you do Keto unless maybe one has one of the short list of health issues it has been shown in some studies to benefit (and not for weight loss).

I agree with talking to a registered dietician to confirm what is good/safe for your heatlh issues. or your primary care doctor.

some links you may find interesting:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

ETA: nothing wrong with trying different ways of eating. but it's also ok to say one isn't for you if you've given it a good try.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to fail and forgive yourself if you do. Any venture founded in negativity is sure to end in negativity. It seems as if there is a lot of pressure in your life, I would suggest Maitri Meditation to help you find compassion and kindness for yourself. Blaming ourselves only makes yourself your enemy instead of your greatest ally. Be well and namaste! :)
  • PickledBeets8
    PickledBeets8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have tried just limiting my calorie intake, a low carb diet, Paleo, Mediterranean, DASH but since menopause and with severe limitations regarding physical activity, the Mediterranean/DASH diet was no longer working.

With this many approaches having been tried without success, it seems like maybe there could be some consistent factor that persists across a variety of dietary approaches that might be interfering with your ability to lose weight. I would put my focus on figuring out what that factor is so that it can be overcome.

One starting point would be checking in with your doctor to rule out any medical reasons that might be interfering with your ability to lose weight. Another idea might be looking into something like The Beck Diet Solution or talking with a therapist/counselor who might be able to help you identify and deal with any dysfunctional thought/behavior patterns. Participation in some type of support group can also be useful for some people.

• KetoKatee
    KetoKatee Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

If you're doing keto then your focus should be on one number-your carb intake. Everything else is background noise. It sounds like you're making things overly complicated by tracking all the other numbers and it sounds like you're just spinning your wheels at this point. What does an average day look like for you, in terms of eating? I'm keto and a typical day for me is (two cups) coffee with HWC in the morning, steak/beef and veggies for lunch and then supper is usually eggs with pork or fish. If I want a snack I eat Greek yogurt or something like beef jerky. I also cook everything in butter, ghee or avocado oil, to get in fat. At this point I'm no longer tracking anything because I have things figured out pretty well but starting out I did track my carb intake, that was it though. I keep things really simple.

If you haven't already discovered this-reddit is really the place that keto followers hang out at. The main keto group has over a million followers, so there's lots of like minded people sharing tips, successes and answering questions. My other suggestions would be Dr. Berry's youtube videos-they're short and cover a wide range of LC, Keto and carnivore questions/topics. Keto Connect on youtube is also a great resource-two 'regular' people who have been doing keto for over 4 years now and share recipes, food reviews and just their day-to-day lives being keto. There's a lot of people who have been doing keto for quite a while, and are great resources, you just need to know where to look for them :)

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have gotten approval from my doctors to give Keto a try. My calorie intake is what has been suggested by the Keto calculator and MyFitnessPal. To maintain weight would be over 1500 cal a day so I have been on a deficit. I do measure my food with a food scale and/or measuring spoons and cups. I have tried just limiting my calorie intake, a low carb diet, Paleo, Mediterranean, DASH but since menopause and with severe limitations regarding physical activity, the Mediterranean/DASH diet was no longer working. I picked the Keto diet, before I realized it was "popular", based on research I did and due to how sedate my lifestyle is at the moment. I will be having both neck and back surgery in the next couple of months and hopefully, that will get rid of the chronic pain and limited mobility. Was just trying to reach out to Keto users who maybe have or know of someone who has been in a similar situation and can give me some guidance.

Ok, here's something to try: don't use the spoons and cups but only the food scale for everything you eat, literally everything. Measure everything including cooking oil, condiments, veggies. See how that goes.

Also make sure you're selecting the correct database entries. Use raw ingredients and make an entry for everything that goes into your food. You can check whether entries are correct on the USDA website.

Are you having a lot of take away food? Usually what you get served is way more than the calorie information on the outlet's website.

Finally, if you want use to have a look at your diary to spot any other little pitfalls please put your diary to public so we can have a look. We're here to help.