Shift work

Options
Hello all,I haved worked rotating shifts for several years now and still haven’t gotten a routine as far as an eating schedule and I feel this makes it tougher for me lose weight. Just curios if others have this issue and wonder how you do it.

Replies

• dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Absolutely i work 1 first shift 2 second shifts and 2 third shifts every week
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    Yep. Due to the nature of my work my schedule changes daily as far as the hours I work. It takes preplanning to make sure you prepare healthy meals ahead of time and making sure you always have nutritious snacks on you.
    It’s hard because shift work messes with your sleep and your overall system. But it’s do-able 😊
  • cruzheartlove
    cruzheartlove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with it messing up proper diet and weight loss. I leave tuna packets, protein bars and such in my locker so I have a go to snacks when I need it. If I am traveling I try to prepare something super simple.
  • mcfly216
    mcfly216 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have worked swing shift for nearly 6 years now. Days and afternoons I have a normal eating schedule. On midnights I eat my “lunch” at first break and have a snack/ pre work out food at the end of my shift. I’m not hungry on midnights but if I don’t eat I won’t be able to hit my goals for the day.
  • mcfly216
    mcfly216 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with it messing up proper diet and weight loss. I leave tuna packets, protein bars and such in my locker so I have a go to snacks when I need it. If I am traveling I try to prepare something super simple.

Protien powder, tuna, rice packets and protein bars are always kept in my bag. Never know when you’re going to stuck for a double.
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been doing shift work for at least the last 30 years and at the beginning, it probably was the reason I put on a lot of weight with having bad chouses and bad routine. Now I use it to my advantage by doing meal preparation when I am not at work for the week ahead. I prep all my meals lunch and dinner. I now tend to have a larger lunch and dinner so I only eat twice a day instead of three times and try to eat them within an 8h window and fast for the rest of the day/night. I keep on hand nuts or and seeds for picking on if I need a snake and I drink lots of water. That is what worked for me and helped me lose over 100lb I think its all about finding your routine in all the chaos of working on shifts.