Need to loose 1.5 stone

Options
Gary25181320
Gary25181320 Posts: 13 Member
Is food scales important when calorie counting . On 1800 a day but find it hard to judge amounts in certain foods and portion control .

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    A food scale is critical in my opinion, I could not live without mine. At first it's a hassle but you get used to it. If you've never used one, you will be very suprised to find that you're likely way over eating
  • juliebroughton34
    juliebroughton34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes really essential, I agree with giancarlov1191 we totally underestimate our quantities. It’s also difficult to guess dried food/ cooked weights too x
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    so the majority of us here, it is absolutely critical yes
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale around 2 months after joining MFP and it has been a huge eye-opener. It’s actually one of the things that has helped me lose 37lbs. Prior to buying the food scale, I had been eyeballing my portions and using cups to measure my food. Those methods turned out to be highly inaccurate. One thing that shocked me was how much pasta I had been eating before I started weighing my food. It turns out my portions of pasta would feed 2-3 people! I’d say yes, a food scale is definitely a necessity.
  • Gary25181320
    Options
    Thank you a feel I too am making this mistake ave ordered scales will be here on Monday I'll let you know how I go.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I use mine for fruit and veg, amounts taken out of a bag like nuts or rice (dry weight), cheese if its not already portioned in little packets, bread if its a slice or I slice it up, I dont tend to weigh pitta breads or naans as they are already portioned to my eyes but I might need to do this as time goes on. I weigh out mayonaise, oil, spreads like jam or marmalade etc.

I dont weigh things that are already in a pot or something, say like if a pot of humous is 200g and I eat it, then thats what I count, same with my cottage cheese, or a chicken kiev, I count what it says on the pack it is.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Yes, even for pre-packaged food. I got some chicken sausage that said each one was 85 grams, 340 grams for the pack of 4, but each one was really 90-95 grams. It came out to an extra 100 calories for the pack. Especially for calorie-dense food it really adds up.
  • Gary25181320
    Options
    Thank you am a vegetarian so won't need worry about sausages but yes a think some Packages aren't very accurate and going buy guestimation isn't working for me .
  • sk1998mfp
    sk1998mfp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add :) let’s do this togther! 🙃