slimfast

Options
How does everyone feel about slimfast? I am thinking of doing it to basically just get started or when on the run etc.

Replies

• MMMom2008
    Options
    How does everyone feel about slimfast? I am thinking of doing it to basically just get started or when on the run etc.
  • minceavie
    Options
    I did it a long time ago and it helped me eating in the mornings as my schedule was hectic...and I love chocolate...just make sure you eat some "real food" at some point of your day.
  • MMMom2008
    Options
    I was just looking on the site and the shakes look great but I noticed there is a tons of sugar intake in them. Is that really bad???
  • schoencn
    Options
    I love Slimfast shakes. They are really good, but honestly, they don't fill me up. They're supposed to hold you over for about 4 hours, but I always feel like I need to Eat some food, because just drinking the shake isn't enough.
  • GemFB
    GemFB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't stand the taste of them. I have a friend however that lost 30lbs doing slimfast and salads....Didn't seem healthy tho.
  • adelespears
    Options
    I have one for breakfast every morning,personally. I love them, and it's really good for me, because I wake up about 20 minutes before I have to leave (love my sleep) and I have a 20 minute walk to class, so it's easy o drink on the way to class while walking. Also, sometimes, if I'm craving something sweet at night and have some calories left over, I put a chocolate shake and a banana in the blender and blend them together. SO good.
  • MMMom2008
    Options
    Does anyone have any thoughts about the sugar??
  • adelespears
    Options
    I personally don't think it's too much... I don't eat things with a lot of sugar in them anyway, and I need that little bit in the morning to get me going anyway. I've never been over my sugar, unless it's a cheat day. Or today,w hen I treated myself to half a slice of german chocolate cake XD
  • loman13
    Options
    They are high in sugar and not very filling. Just eat some oatmeal in the morning and thats much better than a slimfast.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Slimfast DOES have a lot of sugar in it. Not something you want to do every day all day. It's probably ok as a once in a while thing, but I usually have a yogurt and a piece of fruit for breakfast, sometimes if I'm feeling extra hungry I add a piece of whole wheat toast in there. It's worked pretty well for me. It's enough to kick start my metaboism, but it doesn't make me feel overful.
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    I used to do a Slimfast for breakfast and lunch, with fruit and yogurt in between shakes. But I like to actually eat food, so I am now doing a shake for breakfast and a lean lunch...still having the fruit and yogurt for snacks...so far it is working.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a slimfast shake for breakfast with a banana. I've never been big on breakfast anyway so that's plenty for me. I've read so often that skipping breakfast is bad so I thought I needed to eat something to jump-start my metabolism. I'm not worried about the sugar since I'm counting calories and I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables in my regular diet. I do eat an actual lunch.
  • tettymurry
    Options
    The sugar is going to give you a quick boost but then u fall faster... they have one called Glucerna that is made for diabetics so that it is more sugar controlled... its not to bad.. but u are so much better off using real food.. your body needs fuel just like a car needs gas... and breakfast being the most important time of the day.. your body has been sleeping and without food for many hours... your car wont run on fumes and neither will your body lol... it is very worthwhile to take the time to have breakfast... like 3/4 cup of eggbeaters and toast (lite bread of course) and a piece of fruit... they cook fast and are really good... dont get the cheep ones get the real deal... much better if you have time add veggies to make it an omlet and your taste buds will love u...
    hope this helped
    rosie
  • Catherinex
    Options
    I bought a slimfast chocolate shake the other day just to try it along with the peanut and chocolate biscuit thing. I can honestly say the shake is the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted, and I made a special entry in my food diary note about it lol. Tastes absolutely chemically/unnatural... anyway get one to try as some people have said they like the taste. The biscuit was actually very tasty but at 190 cals I would only eat it again to finish upto the 1200 cals and not for a meal replacement.

Heh, anyway do get one to try, and please post and let us know what you think of the taste if nothing else^^.

Cath
  • amandacain1997
    amandacain1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would definately say that it needs to be an "every once in a while thing." The only time I drink a slim fast is if I'm running late in the morning and don't have time for breakfast. They definately aren't as filling as a bowl of cereal or yogurt and fruit; in fact, I usally find that by the time that lunch rolls around I am famished and am much more likely to eat more than I would normally. There is a lot more sugar in them than I prefer to take in, especially first thing in the morning. Also, there are actually several more calories in a can of slim fast than you would be consuming in a bowl of Special K or Curves Cereal. I prefer to go the cereal route whenever I can.
  • candys08
    Options
    I have a slimfast shake every morning because I don't like breakfast foods. But I drink the low carb one and it is not as yuky as the others.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    :laugh: oops
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing slimfast for 5 weeks now and Ive lost 10 lbs. I only have one a day though. I have one for breakfast and them some fruit or yogurt alittle later. Then a small lunch. Usually a bagel and cream cheese or eggs salad sand. A few hours later I have a smart snack and then a good dinner.

It seems to be working for me. And I dont stay hungry all day long like I thought I would.
    The chocolate is the most disgusting thing Ive ever tasted. Cappuccino is awesome and my Favorite is strawberry.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have one once in a great while. Put it in a blender with some ice. Makes a great chocolate (or whatever flavor) shake.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Whey protein has MUCH less sugar, more protein, and can be blended with yogurt, milk, fruit, water, and even small grain, like oat bran. Plus you can get a 2lb tub of it for $15, rather than just 6 little drinks. I think it'd be a better idea to buy whey/soy protein.