Can I just count calories?

Options
80_pound_journey
80_pound_journey Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2019 in Motivation and Support
I start over and over again and I think it’s because I try and make it too hard for myself. I try and eat clean, stay within macros, make food from scratch etc etc. But ultimately, I fail because I run out of steam. Logistics of life get in the way.
So..... is it enough to just count calories? Does it matter if i dont eat completely clean as long as I stay within calories?

I need to make this as easy as possible for myself otherwise I’ll never sustain it.

Anyone lost weight by simply counting calories and not worrying too much about macros, eating clean etc?

Replies

• Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yep. Calories are the main thing I care about. I do try to eat food that keeps me full longer and keeps cravings at bay, but everyone is different in that regard, so do what works for you and is sustainable. Good luck!
  • EmBeatie
    EmBeatie Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I had to google clean eating and macros so yeah, I'd say you are over-complicating things! I don't know what you eat, but I've lost 4 stone mainly by slashing my sugar intake, so that's quite a simple diet.

Sometimes trying new foods can help. I've got much more into cooking, and try new recipes instead of eating the same old boring stuff. For example I ate porridge for the first for years yesterday morning. But it wasn't the old ready brek I had as a kid, it was quaker oats, with chia seeds, flaked almonds, raisins, and half an apple and a tablespoon of honey (about 500 calories), the sort of food I used to turn my nose up at, but it was the most filling thing I've even eaten, and I didn't start to feel hungry again til about 12 hours later, and it wasn't a busy day. So I only ate 800 calories all day, and I didn't go hungry at all.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Creating a calorie deficit is literally the only thing necessary for losing weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Calories are king :smiley: .
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just count calories. The more requirements you put in your plan, the more difficult it is to follow.

An issue with “clean” eating is that different people have different definitions. I found that that to keep losing weight my eating became “cleaner” over time. I wasn’t really paying attention to that aspect. I was just trying to feel satisfied with fewer calories.
    You’ll find you get more bang for your calories with fresh fruit and vegetables, lean protein and whole grains. You’ll pay a calorie premium for refined sugar, alcohol and processed foods in general. Does that fit your definition of clean eating?

Just try to stay within your calorie number and get a sustainable downward trend at the scale. Take a long term view. Give yourself a couple of months for the calorie counting learning curve. Don’t beat yourself up over missteps or lapses. It takes time to adjust to it, but calorie counting works.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    absolutely! weight loss is just math. calories being lower than calories out regularly over time.

lost 100lb (twice) just counting calories.

macros can help for feeling full and you can eventually keep an eye on minimums for heatlh (enough protein for example) but you can, if you want, add that later.

it also doesn't have to be all or nothing. you can, when you have time, bring in more "clean" and/or home made foods IF YOU WANT with having to make all or nothing. just a meal here or there.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    That's all I do, 50 pounds down now. I only eat vegetables I enjoy, and I do it mainly to bulk meals up so I'm satisfied. If I don't have an appetite one day, I'll eat ice cream for dinner. I don't consider my diet very nutritious, but that's not a barrier to weight loss.