This is what happens if you don't weigh your food

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
I am sure it happens to everyone but I had a number of things going on in the kitchen and I failed to weigh my lunch lamb chops raw or cooked before I ate them. Going by the package it says there was 1.34 pounds. There wasn't. I am certain my package got the wrong label. I don't say this as wishful thinking. I have been logging food for 15 months now and I have developed a good feel for estimating weights.

So now I am sitting with 445 grams (bones deducted) of lamb shoulder chop sitting in my log at over 1400 calories. I am 94 percent sure that it should be closer to 290 grams.

So I will end up logging over my calorie goal today because I would rather leave it too high than take a chance that I am wrong.

It was really good so at least there is that.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    At least it was good!
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2019
    The weights on my fresh meat are routinely off allll the time! It's kind of irritating to buy 1.5 lbs to chicken breasts to only have them weigh 1.2 lbs when I portion it out. I think they do it on purpose because the majority of people don't weigh their foods to ever know they were shorted. So, I don't doubt that your label was wrong! I always prefer to overestimate in instances like this anyway.
  • NovusDies
    edited June 2019
    That is the other lesson here I suppose. You shouldn't put too much trust in labels because you may be overpaying.

I was preparing another meal for a family member who is not doing so hot right now and it has turned into one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" deals. I am especially annoyed because for about a month I have been losing weight faster than I want/should and I am trying to slow it down which I need my logging to be as close as it can be to accomplish. I am to blame though... I had 2 opportunities to weigh it. Mistakes happen though so now that I have ranted I need to let it go and move on.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    You had me at lamb chops :yum:

Sorry you're annoyed. That's a sucky feeling.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Labels are allowed to be 10% over or under with AU regulations. You’ll get someone saying 500g, but it could be 470g or 510grams. So long as they’re not 50grams under they can’t be pulled up in it.
  • NovusDies
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You had me at lamb chops :yum:

Sorry you're annoyed. That's a sucky feeling.

It passed quickly. It is kind of funny that routine is what makes us consistent but then it can also be the thing that gets in the way if you are distracted. I weigh my food by rote. I usually make a quick little note so I can move on and I suppose that yesterday I assumed it had been done when I started eating. Ah well. Life happens.