Off Topic. Not sure if allowed but...

Options
Not weight loss related. Where should one visit in Oregon, Idaho, Washington states? Am travelling in August with a male15 and female9 year old plus husband.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Places to eat?
  • liketoyak
    liketoyak Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Places to eat?

Sure! and visit? We are going on a road trip to Junction City for a Scandinavian Festival. Looking for outings and extremely special sights to see.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What’s your route? I live in Southern Idaho.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I’m from Idaho. Which part of the state will you be going through?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    If you get to the coast you could go out on a whale-watching boat or ship.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If you get to the coast you could go out on a whale-watching boat or ship.

^ Those are so much fun.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I have *very* limited experience with that area, but if you wind up in Seattle, do the Theo chocolate factory tour! https://www.theochocolate.com/factory-tours/
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If your headed to Portland and the kids like rides check out oaks park. They also have roller skating, go carts, mini golf
    Beach is always a great place :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I go to the Oregon Coast quite a bit. Great place. We stay in Lincoln City as it is a faily short drive from Portland and Newport is close by. .and rent a condo rather than a hotel so we can cook our own food. Oregon Dunes is a cool place to visit....Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport is a must see...sea lion caves.

Portland is a nice place also. We stay at the Double Tree Inn in Portland. It is right across from the big mall with a skating rink in it. Portland has The Oregon Museum Of Science And Industry....the Oregon Zoo. For adults seems like there is a brew pub on every block and way too many strip bars for a cirty that size (or so I am told).

Seattle has the space needle and Museum of Pop Culture (used to be called Rock and Roll Museum) almost side by side. There is a PInball Museum, Pike Place Market, giant ferris wheel by the water, Sky View Observatory in the tallest building in Seattle(great for pictures), go to a Mariners baseball game.....there is a hotel right across the street that we have stayed in with a pool on the roof and you can see partially inside Safeco Field from it. You can take day trips on the ferry sytem. You can also take a day trip to Victoria BC on the Seattle Clipper ferry (I live on Vancouver Island). Also you could drive to Anacortes and take a ferry to the San Juan Islands. I have been going there every summer for 40 years and stay in Roche Harbor although it is really expensive to stay there now. There is Lakedale Campgrounds on San Juan Island also it is in between Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor.

Boy I talk a lot.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I second OMSI for Portland - it's also interesting for parents/caregivers. The rose test garden is interesting but your kids might not want to walk around looking at a lot of roses. Powell's is a must if you like books and there is a very good street cart pod three blocks away. They will also ship your books to you if you. If you and your family like hiking, Forest Park has a number of hikes and is in the city - it's one of the largest urban forests in the US (it's 5,200 acres).

Skip Voodoo Doughnuts - it's not worth it (and I'm not even talking about calories), I personally prefer Sesame Doughnuts or Blue Star, but I've heard very good things from a number of people about Pips Doughnuts - this of course is assuming you really want doughnuts (you won't miss anything if you skip them). Portland has very good coffee (so does Seattle) so for the love of god skip Starbucks. One of my favorite coffee shops is Courier Coffee (which is down the street from the Powell's on Burnside) and on Saturday late morning-afternoon they typically have shaved ice - or they will in August.

The other question is what do you and your children enjoy doing? That would make recommending things a little easier. I will say, if you all like museums, do go to the Chihuly Glass Museum in Tacoma.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Mt Ranier, MtSt Helen's, or Mt Hood
    Oregon Aquarium in Newport OR
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Smith River and redwoods. Kellogg beach as well
  • liketoyak
    Options
    Smith River and redwoods. Kellogg beach as well

Thanks! Any particular place you'd recommend for the redwoods?
  • liketoyak
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I second OMSI for Portland - it's also interesting for parents/caregivers. The rose test garden is interesting but your kids might not want to walk around looking at a lot of roses. Powell's is a must if you like books and there is a very good street cart pod three blocks away. They will also ship your books to you if you. If you and your family like hiking, Forest Park has a number of hikes and is in the city - it's one of the largest urban forests in the US (it's 5,200 acres).

Skip Voodoo Doughnuts - it's not worth it (and I'm not even talking about calories), I personally prefer Sesame Doughnuts or Blue Star, but I've heard very good things from a number of people about Pips Doughnuts - this of course is assuming you really want doughnuts (you won't miss anything if you skip them). Portland has very good coffee (so does Seattle) so for the love of god skip Starbucks. One of my favorite coffee shops is Courier Coffee (which is down the street from the Powell's on Burnside) and on Saturday late morning-afternoon they typically have shaved ice - or they will in August.

The other question is what do you and your children enjoy doing? That would make recommending things a little easier. I will say, if you all like museums, do go to the Chihuly Glass Museum in Tacoma.

Thanks for all the info! I'm not really sure what we are looking for at this point. Interesting to ask that question an not know the answer.
  • liketoyak
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    I go to the Oregon Coast quite a bit. Great place. We stay in Lincoln City as it is a faily short drive from Portland and Newport is close by. .and rent a condo rather than a hotel so we can cook our own food. Oregon Dunes is a cool place to visit....Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport is a must see...sea lion caves.

Portland is a nice place also. We stay at the Double Tree Inn in Portland. It is right across from the big mall with a skating rink in it. Portland has The Oregon Museum Of Science And Industry....the Oregon Zoo. For adults seems like there is a brew pub on every block and way too many strip bars for a cirty that size (or so I am told).

Seattle has the space needle and Museum of Pop Culture (used to be called Rock and Roll Museum) almost side by side. There is a PInball Museum, Pike Place Market, giant ferris wheel by the water, Sky View Observatory in the tallest building in Seattle(great for pictures), go to a Mariners baseball game.....there is a hotel right across the street that we have stayed in with a pool on the roof and you can see partially inside Safeco Field from it. You can take day trips on the ferry sytem. You can also take a day trip to Victoria BC on the Seattle Clipper ferry (I live on Vancouver Island). Also you could drive to Anacortes and take a ferry to the San Juan Islands. I have been going there every summer for 40 years and stay in Roche Harbor although it is really expensive to stay there now. There is Lakedale Campgrounds on San Juan Island also it is in between Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor.

Boy I talk a lot.

Thanks! We are coming from Edmonton to San Fransisco and back up. I'll be sure to research your suggestions and run them by the family.
  • liketoyak
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    If your headed to Portland and the kids like rides check out oaks park. They also have roller skating, go carts, mini golf
    Beach is always a great place :)

They'd like that!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You asked about the redwoods. There are several state and national redwood parks in N CA. Any of them would be wonderful.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Stehekin. Sahale Glacier Camp. Harts Pass. The Hoe. Maybe the Elwha too, it was the largest dam removal project in history and nature is already recovering.

What are you interested in seeing and doing? What parts of Washington will you already be in?
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Crater Lake! Sea Lion Caves! Kid friendly wineries are all over if you like wine.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Driving along the Oregon coast. Hike at Cape Perpetua. Lewis and Clark NP. Mt. St. Helens. Crater Lake. Driving along the Columbia River with stops at some of the many beautiful waterfalls. In Idaho, stop at Twin Falls to see Shoshone Falls. Craters of the Moon NM. Sawtooth NF has great hiking.