Self Control Issues

Options
124»

Replies

• dreamingbluebird
    dreamingbluebird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Okay, first off, congratulations on being normal. Black and white rigidity with eating is nothing new in a culture when we consider some foods to be “good” and others to be “bad.” I have found it helpful to remind myself that I am allowed to have a treat or that favorite forbidden food every once in a while. As long as you make space for these extras in your macros, calories, etc., I don’t see the harm. And then remind yourself to jump back to nutrient-dense foods. One treat doesn’t screw up the day, it’s simply a way for some of us to stay sane while dieting.
  • Dmgjama
    Dmgjama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This thread is enlightening. Haven’t taken a step to consider OA but know my problems with self control and sabotage are critical.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Snacking.... Thankfully I have managed to stop myself from snacking/eating on chocolate or sweets..... but crap like custard tarts, chocolate brownies...... :( I am ok if family do not buy them though......
  • TheAssyrian
    TheAssyrian Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I need to get in a better mind set. For some reason I get it in my head that if I eat one bad thing that the day is for nothing and just go ahead and eat what ever I want instead of just eating the one bad thing and continue with my healthier plan for the day. I feel like my will power really needs help. I really do feel like a drug addict that can't even think about food without wanting to go binge eat everything in sight. If any one has any pointers for me on how I can work with the way I think about food that would be great and appreciated.

Check out a program called 75Hard. It's a mental toughness trainer. It definitely sucks a ton but it's helpful.

Another thing, take control of yourself. If you want to go binge, go for a walk and get away from food or go outside to do something. Anything that gets you away from binge-snacking and into the right mindset.

Best of luck
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and love yourself. Buddhism has helped me immensely in my life and I say this a lot: try Maitri Meditation. Start with a positive foundation, don't force something on yourself and then shame yourself when you don't complete an unrealistic goal. Baby steps, small steps, tiny lasting changes, be patient and be compassionate.
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Baby steps, small steps, tiny lasting changes, be patient and be compassionate.

Truth. Better to make small changes you can keep up with rather than big ones that you can't.

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Behavioral therapy helped me immensely! Small easy goals, one at a time, can help you make huge progress.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Behavioral therapy helped me immensely! Small easy goals, one at a time, can help you make huge progress.

Agreed. I started seeing a therapist about a month ago and it has greatly helped.

edit: forgot I already posted about this!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just said to myself “is this really worth the rest of your life.” There’s nothing for it but digging deep and removing excess temptation. Allow yourself a treat occasionally and don’t have anything extra available so even if you crave more you don’t have more
  • lintvar85
    lintvar85 Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I use two mental tricks to keep my night time snacking under control.

1.) I eat one quest bar right before brushing my teeth before bed. That's how I know my day of eating is over, tasty protein bar.

2.) I keep spare fat free cottage cheese in the fridge. If I impulse eat, that's where I go. You can't do a whole lot of damage to a diet with that stuff. And it's filling.

This combined with the golden rule: "I only go to the store once a week with meal planner, I shop everything for the week at once since I know that if I go several times a week and by a few things I can lose myself and buy something I should not.