Time To Get Back in the Saddle

Options
Hey folks! I've been on this site for awhile, off and on. I had a really successful first run on here where I dropped 35lbs and just about got down to my goal weight, and then I let things slide. Since then, I've been trying to half-heartedly go about losing weight without really interacting with anyone on here, and without weighing and logging. Sometimes it's easier to just bite the bullet and go with what works.

So about me: I'm a 36 year old veteran with a lovely wife, two awesome kids, and about 60lbs too much weight. In the past, I had low blood pressure (borderline dangerously low), and a really low pulse (RHR was 38, yikes!), and now that's all gone the other way. If I don't make changes, my doctor is going to recommend blood pressure medication. I don't want that. I've spent most of the last two years going from one stupid illness to another. I don't want that, either.

Part of my plan for success includes one of the things that helped me the most the first time around. Finding other folks who are just getting started (or starting again) on their weightloss journey and supporting and being supported by them. Improving my approach to health gradually instead of trying to jump into it all at once. And for the most part, cutting out the damn beer!

So, if you're looking for more friends along this journey, and you've just getting started or have some ways to go, consider adding me. I'll commit to being an active and supportive friend, to logging every day, and to accepting constructive criticism if you'll do the same for me.

A few things you should know:

- I don't eat clean and I'm not into fad dieting. If you are, that's fine, it's not for me. I count calories. I'll be making some macro goals for myself, but until then, I'm mostly just trying to hit a protein and calorie goal.
- I want to try to avoid protein shakes and bars this time around. There's nothing wrong with them, I just don't enjoy them, and I'm more likely to stick with it if I enjoy the food I'm eating.
-I need to cut back on the beer. I don't know what that's going to look like just yet, but for now I'm cutting it out of my diet completely until I can get a handle on how it can fit in. It's not that it's empty calories, I just have no motivation the next day even when I've only had one.

Anyways, that's a lot of info, but that's where I'm at. If this sounds like the type of friend you want along for your journey, give me an add. If not, no worries and best wishes on your fitness journey!

Replies

• wsualumohsix
    wsualumohsix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I've been on the journey for the last few years, but more active into the community and log (try) everyday. I'll add you and let me know how I can help!
  • CastorOnline
    CastorOnline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I've been on the journey for the last few years, but more active into the community and log (try) everyday. I'll add you and let me know how I can help!

Hey, I appreciate it! Thanks for the add!
  • TheAssyrian
    TheAssyrian Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fellow veteran here. I'll add you and we can keep each other honest lol
  • CastorOnline
    Options
    Fellow veteran here. I'll add you and we can keep each other honest lol

Sounds great and thanks for your service, brother.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    It's good to see you back. I was wondering what had happened to you
  • CastorOnline
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    It's good to see you back. I was wondering what had happened to you

I'm glad you're still here!
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude and determination. I thank you for your service (mom of an Airman here). I am sending a friend request & hope to get to know you better and share support!
  • CastorOnline
    Options
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    I love your attitude and determination. I thank you for your service (mom of an Airman here). I am sending a friend request & hope to get to know you better and share support!

Hey, thanks for the request! I look forward to sharing support with you as well.
  • movgrl1
    movgrl1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, great attitude! I finally started just worrying about calories and trying to hit my protein goal like you said and I've lost almost 50 pounds since Jan. I've dieted for the last 20 years off and on and was miserable. Now I'm having a great time getting healthy, enjoy foods I like, finding fun workouts, and still getting to have some beer with my buddies. Sent you a request, great attitude, you got this!
  • CastorOnline
    Options
    movgrl1 wrote: »
    Yes, great attitude! I finally started just worrying about calories and trying to hit my protein goal like you said and I've lost almost 50 pounds since Jan. I've dieted for the last 20 years off and on and was miserable. Now I'm having a great time getting healthy, enjoy foods I like, finding fun workouts, and still getting to have some beer with my buddies. Sent you a request, great attitude, you got this!

Congrats on the awesome progress so far, and I will definitely add you. Thanks for the request!