I think my metabolism is destroyed?

Hey, I'm 19 years old and due to a really strenuous exam year I put on around 60 pounds because I had no time to exercise and I binged a lot. Before that I weighed 120lbs and I were a synchronised swimmer, which ment 2+ hours of training a day, I also was eating too little (like stupid teens do) around 1000 calories a day. Now that my exams are over I am trying to get healthy again, but can't manage to eat more than 1000 calories, when a week ago I was eating more than 2000, and yet I don't lose weight. How much have I destroyed my metabolism? Is there a way to boost it?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I suggest building up slowly to minimum 1200 calories a day. This is easily accomplished with one cup of juice or soda, a bag of chips, a handful of hikers mix or a big cookie.

I think your metabolism is fine but your appetite might be out of whack.

Add some exercise to your day, maybe a long walk before supper to help jazz your appetite.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suggest building up slowly to minimum 1200 calories a day. This is easily accomplished with one cup of juice or soda, a bag of chips, a handful of hikers mix or a big cookie.

I think your metabolism is fine but your appetite might be out of whack.

Add some exercise to your day, maybe a long walk before supper to help jazz your appetite.

Yes... especially if she has increased protein and fibrous veggies. Both have been shown to spontaneously reduce caloric intake.
  • iamaceofcards
    iamaceofcards Posts: 3 Member
    Hey, thanks everyone, I am using a food scale, I can see that I might have been inpatient, it is just that I've never been that heavy and was always active so that's a big change in my stamina and body image. I will try to increase my calories and exercise more, thanks a lot..
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i would say your hunger signals (or lack there of) could also be attributed to stress - university/exams etc can be stressful and i know for me, stress (physical/mental/emotional) = not hungry
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Losing weight when you can focus 100% on yourself is hard. Losing weight when 100% of your focus is on something else is much harder!

You need to develop good habits that carry you through even when your attention is diverted. Habits like: I do not eat pizza, beer, and ice cream in the same evening. Stuff like that.