June 2019 Self-care Challenge

Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
“Self-care” is about doing things that help you feel less anxious, more Zen.

Self-care is something everyone needs.

Check in here to get ideas from this list and share how you’re working on feeling better about life. Reading posts from others also helps find ways to thrive.

Firstly, some suggestions for when we’re struggling:

https://themighty.com/2018/08/realistic-self-care-ideas/

Get out of bed.
Brush your teeth.
Wash your face.
Shower, even if you just get in and rinse off! The water might feel amazing for you.
Eat something. Even if it’s just a cracker or some bread. Just get something in your belly!
Walk out onto your back porch. Stand there for 10 seconds and then if you want, go back inside. Great job, you made it outside! If you feel like it, take a short walk. Get some sunshine!
Put on your favourite TV show or movie.
Check your email and clear your inbox. Respond to anything that is important.
Change your sheets.
Check your actual mail.
Stay hydrated. Fill up a water bottle and keep it close by.
Take your medication.
Stretch. This can be a small quick stretch on the couch or some yoga.
Check your text messages and answer those from people who are important or worried about you.
Pay any bills you might have to avoid late fees.
Change your clothes if you didn’t when you first got out of bed.
If you have a pet, make sure they are good on their food and water. Nothing feels worse than your pet having an empty water or food bowl and you not being aware of it!
Do a creative hobby that you like.
Open up the blinds to let the light come into your house.
Watch a funny video. Laugh.

Here are some ideas that might help you feel better:

Tidy a space – a table, a drawer, a cupboard.
Discuss what feelings or insights you both had today with a loved one, without gossiping.
Watch a TED talk or YouTube instructional video about something you wondered about recently.
Go outside for a walk or a bike ride, or to just sit, and enjoy the outdoors.
Enjoy your time on social media without feeling guilty or rushed. Use it as downtime and as a treat.
When scrolling on Facebook and you see something or someone that always annoys you, let it go and unfollow them.
Smile.
Edit a photo, draw a picture, write about your thoughts.
Do an exercise you love.
Breathe in for 3 seconds, hold for 2, then out for 3 seconds, hold for 2. Do this 10 times.
Try a new recipe.
Stretch.
Say no to something without feeling guilty.
Go to bed on time.
Give someone a compliment.
Contact an old friend and ask them something you’ve been wondering about them.
Go for a walk at lunch instead of sitting or shopping.
Make a sandwich or bring some leftovers to work for lunch for once if you always eat out.
See how much you can save one week/day by not buying coffee or eating out, and put that money in your retirement fund or savings account, even if it’s only a small amount.
Trim your fingernails and/or toenails
Make that medical appointment you’ve been putting off
Visit an online energy company comparison platform to see if you’re able to save on bills by switching providers
Meal prep or plan recipes for your lunches and/or dinners
Schedule a block of time on the weekend and plan some self-care or meetup with friends to look forward to.

Finally, some ideas for your list of “Absolute Nos”

https://psychcentral.com/blog/3-self-care-strategies-to-transform-your-life/

Don’t rush.
Don’t spend more on your credit card than you can repay at payday.
Don’t gossip.
Don’t answer the phone during dinner.
Don’t go to bed late and don’t sleep in.
Don’t buy things you don’t have space for.

Happy June!

Replies

• HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Yesterday I had a chill afternoon with a face pack, before going to see the comedian James Acaster which was fab & today I've been out weeding & potting new plants in the garden, which was tiring, but now we have a nice clear (weed free) front garden/drive with lots of lovely smelling lavendar.
    Tomorrow if the weather is dry I'll tackle some weeding in the back garden.
    Hope you're all starting June with a little (or a lot) of self-care x
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Took an online seminar on prioritizing and planning my month. Tonight my husband and I are going to Tacofest!! I'm looking forward to tacos.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    skram01 wrote: »
    Took an online seminar on prioritizing and planning my month. Tonight my husband and I are going to Tacofest!! I'm looking forward to tacos.

I would love to know what seminar you took!

A few weeks ago I took a chance and asked a couple of co-workers if they would like to walk one day on the weekend. (They are in a different department from me, but we sit close together and have formed a very unofficial Type 2 Diabetes support group.)

Two of us have been walking regularly. Last Saturday we walked 3 hours and 20 minutes; today we walked 5 hours! I'm so amazed and thankful that we were able to do this. We have a lovely county park system, a beautiful wooded area that follows a small river and runs through a number of towns. Today we did the entire system. We won't do it every time, but we both wanted to see if we could -- and we did. 🌲 🌞 🌼
  • HatherM
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I took a chance and asked a couple of co-workers if they would like to walk one day on the weekend. (They are in a different department from me, but we sit close together and have formed a very unofficial Type 2 Diabetes support group.)

Two of us have been walking regularly. Last Saturday we walked 3 hours and 20 minutes; today we walked 5 hours! I'm so amazed and thankful that we were able to do this. We have a lovely county park system, a beautiful wooded area that follows a small river and runs through a number of towns. Today we did the entire system. We won't do it every time, but we both wanted to see if we could -- and we did. 🌲 🌞 🌼

Wow well done that's brilliant going :)
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    @HatherM, thank you! 🌼

@FeelinFooFoo, I'm trying to get up the nerve to go for a mani/pedi.

Today's self-care:

50-minute walk
    Vacuumed my living room (can't admit how long it's been).
    Washed one litter box.

I count the above as self-care because they make me feel better about myself. 🐱

Final thought: I hope more people start posting in this thread; it used to be so active. I guess a lot of people moved to the Whole-of-Life challenge, but sometimes I feel like a thread-killer.
  • HatherM
    Oh i also went to a Mindfullness course that was offered by my workplace, it was really good and taught techniques of using the breath to relax and and being grounded, living in the moment instead of worrying. It was good but it's definetly something I need to actually practice on a daily basis.

We had an 8 week course in our work, it is great.... when I use it :)
  • wcollett60
    wcollett60 Posts: 188 Member
    For my self care I have been less attached to my electronic gadgets, which is good, but this means less postings. I have been focused on lots of walking and proper sleep. Have a great week everyone.
  • Orphia
    @RubyRed427 You didn't see my post where I said I started the June thread early. xx

I've been thinking of you and hoping what you're going through was eased by all you've learned and practiced.
  • Orphia
    wcollett60 wrote: »
    For my self care I have been less attached to my electronic gadgets, which is good, but this means less postings. I have been focused on lots of walking and proper sleep. Have a great week everyone.

@wcollett60 Me too, in a way. That sounds good!

I'm trying to use my gadgets for personal development (drawing, language-learning, writing, learning, connecting with thinkers and fellow volunteers).

I've been getting a lot better at catching myself as soon as I realise my attention has been distracted away from my purpose by headlines or other stories popping up as soon as I open apps. Yes, I'm looking at you in particular, Google app! :smiley:

But I certainly do spend a good amount of time walking and running.

Sleep is the big challenge that's led me to have naps when I didn't have any naps for about 20 years.
  • Orphia
    I brought one of my Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily) plants to work for my office today.

I'd realised we have a cubicle farm of about 22 cubicles and only had one plant!

I've been there nearly 9 years and could use some peace around me. :smile: I think it helped today. :smile:

(I'll swap it with another in a month or before if it looks like it's not getting enough light.)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Hi all! Just ran across this thread while looking for a new challenge. It looks like it hasn't been real active lately, but is something I could use. Is this a regular thing with a new self-care challenge posted at the beginning of each month? Anyone still here?

If so, I'll just post that I'm seriously focusing more on self-care just in the past few weeks. I have let worry and stress take me down a dark path of hopelessness and self-pity for quite some time, but I want to put that behind me. Yesterday I went to the dentist and had my teeth cleaned. Then I met a for dinner at a sushi restaurant. Afterwards we went to a metaphysical church service where the talk was about the summer solstice and the significance for different cultures throughout history. It was very enlightening!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Orphia wrote: »
    I brought one of my Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily) plants to work for my office today.

I'd realised we have a cubicle farm of about 22 cubicles and only had one plant!

I've been there nearly 9 years and could use some peace around me. :smile: I think it helped today. :smile:

(I'll swap it with another in a month or before if it looks like it's not getting enough light.)

So nice that you can have a plant at work! I worked in a cube farm for many years and we were allowed to have plants. Then we ended up with a fruit fly infestation (because someone went on vacation and forgot to empty their trash bin). Management made us take all our plants home. That was a sad day at work, but I found homes for them at home and my husband's office.
  • Orphia
    edited June 2019
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Hi all! Just ran across this thread while looking for a new challenge. It looks like it hasn't been real active lately, but is something I could use. Is this a regular thing with a new self-care challenge posted at the beginning of each month? Anyone still here?

If so, I'll just post that I'm seriously focusing more on self-care just in the past few weeks. I have let worry and stress take me down a dark path of hopelessness and self-pity for quite some time, but I want to put that behind me. Yesterday I went to the dentist and had my teeth cleaned. Then I met a for dinner at a sushi restaurant. Afterwards we went to a metaphysical church service where the talk was about the summer solstice and the significance for different cultures throughout history. It was very enlightening!

Welcome, @RaeBeeBaby !

Yes, it's still ongoing.

• RaeBeeBaby
    Self-care for today and tomorrow - Friday, June 21st and Saturday, June 22nd.

Went to the pool for aquasize class this morning. Leaving this afternoon to spend the night with two friends in the big town (Portland) for an evening of wine and tarot card readings. It is the summer solstice, so perfect time for intuitive readings for the remainder of the year. Tomorrow we are shopping at the farmer's market for fresh produce and other delights.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    My Self-care has been forcing myself to rest. I move & exercise a lot, and We went on our first vacation in over a year & had all kinds of plans to hike, etc. instead I slept, lounges, napped.

I got my first cold in 26 months (son arrived sick)

Now, as I’m still recovering, I’m finding myself more glum & sad. I realize how Hard I’ve worked to change all my habits & to do so every day for 1,269 (3 years 5 months), and it’s scary not to be exercising.

Now, I’m gearing up for my colonoscopy & the new prep eliminates pretty much all of the healthy foods I eat.

I’m looking forward to Wednesday, hopefully all well, post-colonoscopy (hopefully all good news there, too), and getting back to my healthy lifestyle.

The exercise keeps my spirits up! Great to know I miss it :) AND that I can feel how bad my body feels without the healthy foods I normally eat.

Self-care May be the Most Important Thing we do.
  • Orphia
    @MadisonMolly2017 Hugs!! :heart:

Good luck on Wednesday. Hope you get some helpful answers.

I'm resting a lot too. After a big 2-day hiking event 2 weeks ago I've been very tired but very mentally alert and not sleeping, so rest and sleep are the focus.

Been getting into Slow Fashion, the Circular Economy, and getting information out in town about where all our glass, plastic, clothing, e-waste etc recycling collection points are. Really enjoying this!

On Friday I started doing a challenge and I won't be buying new clothes for 2 months. Already I've mended hems on two pairs of classic pants, so that's "new clothes" from shopping in my own wardrobe.

Also signed up for a Futurelearn course on Fashion's Future: The Sustainable Development Goals about how fashion affects nearly all industries, people and the environment, and how the Fashion Revolution's goals tie in with the United Nations Sustainability Goals 2030.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    @Orphia Yes, it can be tough to change an exercise program that is working for us, but the rest has done me a world of good.

Thank you for your good wishes. It was a routine colonoscopy, but they did take a few biopsies. They will let me know in about a week, I think. My understanding is if there is anything, tilt will have been caught very early & this treatable.

Glad I have my creative art practice! I lose track of time & as silly as it sounds, it puts me smack dab in the middle of my Happy Place! I’ve made more art since mid-April than every before - daily & often several sessions a day of 1-3 hours. Am going through now through some “almost done” pieces to put the finishing touches!

Are you still making your art @Orphia?

One thing I have learned is if I do a blind contour drawing, sketch parts of a larger item in detail, do gestural drawings of larger shapes within the item, and then do my final drawings, they are SIGNIFICANTLY better!!! That’s now my approach!

Interested in what your Ah-ha’s have been lately for your art!!!

Thanks again,
    Maddie