Anyone have any tips for Ketos diet?

Options
Or low carb foods??

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto or even remotely low carb, but those I know who do tend to build their meals around protein and low carb veggies all mixed with or cooked with a fat.

You might be interested in joining the Low Carbers group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • emmacraze
    emmacraze Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kimny I will have a look at the group sounds good. A bit fed up of low fat low calories .. when you have done it a number of times never works as well. Thank you
  • Reine2019
    Reine2019 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest joining the Keto groups on Reddit. There is r/Keto and r/XXKeto for women. Since mid-December, I have lost 56lbs.
  • DPDaphne
    DPDaphne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started with ruled.me to calculate my macros and get recipe ideas. There's also a "Keto for Beginners" FB group that can be helpful. (I say "can be helpful" because there are some Keto police in the group that aren't always full of grace, and if there's anything you need when starting out, it's grace! LOL)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First tip is to not start it unless you really know the diet. The big things are consuming between 20-50g of carbs or less per day, getting adequate protein (1.5-2.2g/kg of weight) and 3500mg+ of sodium.

In terms of food, concentrate higher on fatty cuts of meat, low sugar fruits (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries), low GI veggies and things like cheese. If you don't mind "dirty" keto, you can incorporate things like quest protein bars.

I would recommend starting with low carb and then bringing carbs down further to see how you respond.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    emmacraze wrote: »
    Thanks Kimny I will have a look at the group sounds good. A bit fed up of low fat low calories .. when you have done it a number of times never works as well. Thank you

good luck!
    Note that regardless of what you eat, you still need to eat at a calorie deficit regularly over time for weight loss.

what you eat can help overall health (eating a balance of all foods; fruit/veg; good minimum amount of protein and fat) and for feeling full (some find carbs filling so low carb doesn't work to keep them feeling full, others are the opposite and so low carb helps!) Some find low carb eating so filling they may not need to track calories for weight loss but i'd venture those are few and far between. Most still have to track total calories to ensure deficit.

and one can be high/moderate fat while not going low carb to keto levels either :) Lots of options.
  • PickledBeets8
    PickledBeets8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My tip for keto would simply be to remember that, for weight loss, calories matter. My husband is doing a lower carb diet, and on his first week, he had a much lower than expected weight loss because he was hyper-focused on counting carbs, thinking that was going to be the key to weight loss. I had to give him several reminders that eating too many calories, even if they come from foods with 0 carbs, is going to interfere with weight loss. While I can't get him to track his food, the reminders helped him to cut back on those excess calories enough that he had a much better weight loss the following week.

You may read some posts from people who are doing keto with claims that calories don't matter for weight loss as long as you limit your carbs to some magical number. While it can be true that there are people for whom limiting carbs causes enough of a reduction in appetite to be sufficient to result in a calorie deficit, my observations have shown me that is certainly not a universal truth. Be cautious, track what you eat honestly, and keep track of your weight as well to make sure you are making whatever adjustments you need in order to keep making progress toward your goals.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I started it about 2 months ago and although the weight isn't flying off, the scale hasn't gone up once since and I have lost 4 lbs on it with even a few days of refeeding carbs (cyclical Keto).
    Other diets left me feeling hungry (low fat vs. low carb) and I would always eat over my allotted daily requirement of calories and my weight would yo-yo.
    On Keto I can eat until I feel full, so I will admit I am more satisfied in terms of hunger. I do in fact eat about 500-700 calories more per day than I did on a standard CICO low fat diet hence the slow weight loss but i don't even count calories anymore, just carbs (for me 23g per day).
    If I were to restrict my calories on Keto I would likely lose a lot more weight. but for now at least I have more energy and my carb cravings are now almost non existent!
    I eat just non starchy veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, garlic) and only raspberries or blackberries (about one cup per day). My sources of fat are full fat dairy (heavy cream, no carb aged cheddar) Olive oil, coconut oil (both for cooking) and meat, fish, eggs and poultry. I occasionally eat pumpkin seeds and pecans as they are low in carbs and have a decent fiber and fat content.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I started eating keto a little less than a month ago. I just started adding coconut oil or olive oil to most everything I cook and eating a lot more eggs and cheeses. Already ate a lot of veggies, green leafy stuff, and proteins, so I just cut out baked goods, rice, beans, and potatoes.

I don't feel restricted at all. No cravings, (but I was never a big sugar-sweets person to begin with).

My boyfriend and daughter started with me. We never feel hungry, and we have to battle to keep calorie intake up.

The energy boost from eating this way is insane. I'm 45 and have not had this much energy since my late 20s-early 30s. Never feel bloated or sluggish!

I wish I had started eating this way years ago!!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Love keto! Done lots of research and have some physiology training from student nursing. Like the above poster/Emma, wish I had done this years ago. Haven't felt better for 30 yrs., lost about 100 lbs., have much clearer thinking/creativity, and a boost in energy and sense of humor. Although some are dissatisfied with him, I'm watched numerous Dr. Eric Berg Youtubes on many subtopics keto related. He' got about 3,000. Also watch Fung and Thomas Lauer (I think that's how you spell his name). Very passionate about it and have learned some of the important tweeks along the way to the point where I've opened a small business as a nutritional coach. Enjoy your journey and wellness. :)

Same here: studied physiology, human anatomy, chemistries, and nutrition for pre-nursing.

I also feel like I got my personality back after years of feeling like an irritable zombie!!

And in total shock how much my body has already changed! Already dropped several inches off everything! And clothes fitting again!

• Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options
    ... Sorry, Deleting comment, getting off forums, will find support and inspiration in real life.

Good luck to others doing the keto thing.