Need help ! Skipped meals, and gained 3-lb overnight.

Options
I love reading other peoples posts, success stories, etc..but i don`t really reply, because im taking ESL classes my English is still not very good yet.
Here is my problem..I had a very busy day yesterday, and i was running around all day, not paying attention the time and i wasn`t eating all day only late at night, and i couldn`t excercise .. A little bit about me...I am 43 years old, mom of three i am very short, only 5 `1 ..Starting weight was 153 -lb..And i was down to 143 lb . I weight myself every morning ( i know its not good, but i need to see that its working, its giving me the extra push )
So my weight jumped up to 146 ( 3-lb up ) overnight...Im wondering if anyone else ever experianced this.
I mostly eat 1000 cal a day, i know i should eat 1200..But im always affraid, what if i didn`t calculated something in, or under estimated my home cooked meals, and i`ll go over my daily allowance..Thanks for your help in advance..

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Like you said, it's not good to weigh yourself every day. Your weight can fluctuate for many many reasons besides fat gain/loss. If it distresses you a lot, then try not weighing yourself so often because it really isn't something you should worry about I think.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If you've gone up that much overnight, and you haven't consumed 9000+ calories, the chances are you're simply retaining water. If you were horribly busy, did you manage to drink much water yesterday? The food you did eat - was it salty? Is it possible you have PMS?

It's very unlikely to be a 'real' gain. Continue normally. Drink lots of water. Get your usual exercise, make sure you eat healthy for a few days. I would guess that by the next time you weigh in, you'll have lost the worst of it.

Incidentally, your written English is excellent - better than many native speakers! You should post more often. :-)
  • LaneAndKent
    LaneAndKent Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree that the scale could fluctuate for any number of reasons, but I would also warn to try and eat enough calories to keep your metabolism going. I have personally experienced a three-week stall from eating too few.

However, a three-pound gain overnight, especially after eating so few calories, is definitely a minor issue, such as water retention or not enough sleep or needing to go to the bathroom. Please do bump up your calories a bit, though, or if you are like most of us your body will rebel by dropping your metabolism and holding onto its fat stores. The weight loss won't necessarily STOP, but it will slow drastically and you will feel like junk in the meantime.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My weight varies from 2-4 pounds a day. I too weigh myself every morning, just to see where I am. I've done this for months. I would say its probably water weight. Since you were so busy, I doubt you had time to eat almost 9000 calories. Just go back to what you were doing, eating well, exercise and you should level out.

I agree, your written English is very good! :)
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Agree Meerkat! You're English is great. Also, to gain 1lb in weight from food you need to overeat by 3,600 calories (or undereat by 3,600 to lose 1lb) for the average woman. So, as you're eating 1,000 calories a day, there's no chance that you 'accidentally' overate all those calories! So, as Meerkat says - salt/water/hormones probably to blame here :-)
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everybody for your replies ..
    Yes..im not drinking enough,,On a good days i have ..3-4 bottles -day ( 600 ml each ) some days 1-2 .
    I will put my scale away, and will only weight myself once a week . And will eat 1200 cal a day.
    I always had a hard time losing weight, and have been yo-yo dieting half of my life.
    ( Its funny, because i was born2-mth premature and was underweight until i was a teenager..)
    Now i know losing weight is a life change, not a diet, and i can`t go back to the same eating habit after i`ve lost the weight.
    Thanks for the encouragement on my English as well ..( i will be starting level 7-ESL in a week) i`ll post more when i get more confidance lol..Thanks again everyone, and keep up the good work..