Shoulder press strength decreasing

Options
totem12
totem12 Posts: 194 Member
Hi everyone,

I do shoulder presses using adjustable dumbells as part of general circuit training/upper body supersets. In the last few months I've increased my weight dramatically on all other upper body moves (lateral raises, tricep extensions, bicep curls, pullovers etc) but the amount of weight I can lift for shoulder presses seems to have decreased. I used to be able to do maybe 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps using 5-6kg weight, but now (for months now) I'm struggling with anything more than 4kg and even that is difficult. Any ideas on what's happened? I don't think I'm doing anything differently.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your programming it's a krap shoot at best.

Post your w/o logs.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A weekly template of what your workouts look like would be most helpful. Also an understanding of your goals.

I understand you want your pressing strength to grow but if you're training primarily in a circuit fashion then that could be part of the reason your strength hasn't gone up lately.

There's a lot to account for here so don't take this as me saying circuits are bad or that they decrease strength. I'm just throwing stuff out there based on the limited knowledge I have of your program.

*Actually are you following a program?
  • totem12
    Options
    Not following a lifting program as such, no. I do shoulder presses as part of other workouts, which might be upper body lifting, HIIT/strength combinations. Workouts usually a combination of strength exercises and cardio exercises, but impossible to post a log as the workouts change.
  • totem12
    Options
    By other workouts I mean, workout videos.
  • totem12
    Options
    A typical week at the moment looks like:

Day 1: Lower body strength circuits - squats, deadlifts, lunges, bridges, some pilates moves added
    Day 2: Upper body strength circuits - presses, raises, rows, biceps, triceps, some bodyweight exercises like push ups
    Day 3: HIIT cardio and core
    Day 4: Running
    Day 5: stretch
    Day 6: Running
    Day 7: total body strength circuit, moves e.g. squat with shoulder press, lunge with bicep curl, that sort of thing

My goals for my arms were to specifically progress the weight lifted, so in these circuits I will often go up a weight (by 1-2kg or so) for one of the sets and really struggle, then drop down to my 'achievable' weight for the next circuits. I've achieved increased weight lifted on every move except shoulder press.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    totem12 wrote: »

Day 1: Lower body strength circuits - squats, deadlifts, lunges, bridges, some pilates moves added
    Day 2: Upper body strength circuits - presses, raises, rows, biceps, triceps, some bodyweight exercises like push ups
    Day 7: total body strength circuit, moves e.g. squat with shoulder press, lunge with bicep curl, that sort of thing

My goals for my arms were to specifically progress the weight lifted, so in these circuits I will often go up a weight (by 1-2kg or so) for one of the sets and really struggle, then drop down to my 'achievable' weight for the next circuits. I've achieved increased weight lifted on every move except shoulder press.

I would take out the linear progression you are attempting that result in "really struggle" set as a activation set.

Replace with 1-3 sets of "achievable" sets.

A LP of shoulder press is usually the first to stall. Added volume at the correct intensity will do you better than continuing to struggle on typical sessions. This fatigue adds up and isn't iptimal for long term.

This added volume can be the sets I suggested or eventually adding more frequency with a additional day of press which is also reasonable since it appears you are doing very little presses as a whole.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    totem12 wrote: »

Whether you're writing your own programs or following one written by someone else, progression is optimal so I understand the importance you've put on adding weight each week but a deload period could be in order?

I agree with the other suggestion made by Chieflrg as well. More volume at a given intensity will help ingrain that strength you're looking for.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It looks like you’re doing shoulder presses only once a week on day 7. You likely need greater frequency.