WTF Is Going On?

Options
TouchofWrath
TouchofWrath Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2019 in Motivation and Support
I have been working out since November. I go 3-5 times a week (3 is usually during busy weeks); always do 30 min of cardio each time, and do weight every other time.
I just seem to be getting heavier and heavier (on the scale) and bigger and bigger (measuring tape). i may not eat like a nutritionist, but I certainly have been eating healthier (1200 calories).
I had my thyroid checked via blood tests and they say nothing is wrong???
I tried on my bridesmaid dress this morning and there isn't even a chance it's going to close anymore...
WTF is going on... why is this happening to me... why am i getting fatter and fatter?

Edit 1: Just want to add, I thought things were getting better. Some of my clothes (like my underwear and pants) were fitting way better...

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything (cheat meals as well) you consume? How are you measuring what you eat/drink? If you are gaining you are in a calorie surplus since at 1200 calories a day and the activity frequency you state you should lose.
  • TouchofWrath
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Are you logging everything (cheat meals as well) you consume? How are you measuring what you eat/drink? If you are gaining you are in a calorie surplus since at 1200 calories a day and the activity frequency you state you should lose.

When I do have cheat days, I don't log b/c I know it'll cause me to have a melt down... cheat days are supposed to be fun "day off" days for me. But I don't have cheat days every day, so I feel like that's okay. On the normal days I logged everything on a calorie app on my phone; I was usually just under or barely over 1200. I don't log drinks b/c all I drink is tap water, which is always zero calories.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

When I do have cheat days, I don't log b/c I know it'll cause me to have a melt down... cheat days are supposed to be fun "day off" days for me. But I don't have cheat days every day, so I feel like that's okay. On the normal days I logged everything on a calorie app on my phone; I was usually just under or barely over 1200. I don't log drinks b/c all I drink is tap water, which is always zero calories.

Are you using a food scale for all foods? not measuring cups or spoons but food scale?

How often are your cheat days? Would you mind describing one (a normal example of one?)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    "Calorie app" on your phone? Is it this site? Once you get a good food log have someone look at it and troubleshoot with you. Just guessing at portions and using barcodes is not always going to get you good (correct) numbers.
  • TouchofWrath
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

Are you using a food scale for all foods? not measuring cups or spoons but food scale?

How often are your cheat days? Would you mind describing one (a normal example of one?)

I try to limit my cheat days to once a week; that day usually consists of pizza or a big bowl of mac n cheese. Three weeks ago, I'll admit, I had two cheat days; one was my own, the other was a pizza party at work.
    I don't have a food scale, I rely on measuring cups/spoons.
  • TouchofWrath
    Options
    "Calorie app" on your phone? Is it this site? Once you get a good food log have someone look at it and troubleshoot with you. Just guessing at portions and using barcodes is not always going to get you good (correct) numbers.

It's not this site's calorie app, b/c for some reason my phone has trouble with the app. It's called Lose It! - Calorie Counter
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Odds are good you are eating more than you think you are . My #1 recommendation is to get a food scale and weigh all foods. Chose the entry in mfp carefully when logging as there are many errors.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

and log the cheat days. depending how much of either you may be (or not) wiping out any deficit you made in the week. only one way to know. both those foods in large portions can add up very fast.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you think your clothes are fitting better, I would recommend finding your tightest non-stretchy clothes, or ones that don't even quite fit, and try them on once a week. Don't assume yet you're not making progress.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

This as well as your cheat days is where the problem lies. Food scale, weigh everything for 4-6 weeks, log your cheat days, and go from there.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but Sheltie! Sheltie! Sheltie!!! Also, another Michelle. :)
  • morganjw1
    morganjw1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It has to be something with diet. You can't outwork a bad diet is what my trainer says. As several have mentioned, log your food every day even the bad days. You might be surprised at just what you're "really" eating. Also, when you have a cheat day make it a healthy cheat. For me, I love, love, love chicken wings. And fried chicken wings are just hard to beat. So my cheat is to grill some wings (6-8) and use a good low cal sauce if I want. Find a book titled "Eating Clean" by Tosca Reno. It teaches you how to eat and how to shop for healthy, clean foods. You're on the right path, you just need a few tweaks. Don't give up! You've got this!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,545 Member
    Options

This as well as your cheat days is where the problem lies. Food scale, weigh everything for 4-6 weeks, log your cheat days, and go from there.

I'd add this: You don't say whether you're eating back exercise calories on top of the 1200. If you are, it's also important to take care that the exercise calorie estimates are reasonable, not over-inflated. Many heart-rate-based devices will over-estimate strength training and interval training, and many exercise machines also over-estimate.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    MFP also over-estimates exercise calories.
  • KathySemon
    KathySemon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to ask what your thyroid numbers looked like...I was told for years that I didn't have a thyroid problem because my numbers were in a "normal" range .... It just wasn't normal for me! I ended up seeing an Endocrinologist - and found out I have Hashimoto's Disease! I DO have a thyroid problem .... The high end of the "normal" range was just too high for me - and caused me to gain weight for years!