Going off of appetite-inducing meds

Hi,
Zoloft... can't live without it- or so it seems- for depression and anxiety...
Yet gained 40 pounds on it in 4 years. :(
Any tips of how and what to eat to not need the Zoloft?

Replies

• Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You should plan this with your doctor. It's not advised to take yourself off depression needs without medical supervision.

No food is going to deliver the same anti-depressant effects as Zoloft. You might consider trying a different med. But regardless, you should set up an appointment to discuss all of this with your doctor.

I agree strongly with this. I can't think of a single food or food combination that will increase serotonin or that will increase the ability of the neural receptors to receive serotonin. Please don't go cold turkey off your meds without discussing it with your psych.

Perhaps you need a lower dose to get around some of the hunger-increasing side effects that anti-depressants can have. This is definitely something you should get checked out.
  • Mom4diet
    Mom4diet Posts: 56 Member
    Thank you.
    It's just so frustrating to feel like up against a mountain- impossible to lose weight :(

So no miracle diets? 😌
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I went off anti-depressants cold turkey once, didn't realise at the time how dangerous it was. It was 3-4 weeks of pure hell, then, less than two months later, huge relapse and back on them at a higher dose.

This is a discussion to have with your doctor, there isn't food that will replace medication though (although some junks scientists disagree).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Mom4diet wrote: »
    Thank you.
    It's just so frustrating to feel like up against a mountain- impossible to lose weight :(

So no miracle diets? 😌

Sorry, but no. I've found magnesium supplements seem to help me and some people swear by fish oil. Exercise can also be helpful. But nothing is going to replace the physiological effect your AD has on your brain chemistry.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You should plan this with your doctor. It's not advised to take yourself off depression meds without medical supervision.

No food is going to deliver the same anti-depressant effects as Zoloft. You might consider trying a different med. But regardless, you should set up an appointment to discuss all of this with your doctor.

^^^ this
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Personal anecdote:

I gained 25 lbs in 6 weeks on a cocktail of Zyprexa and Wellbutrin due to viscious sugar cravings. The NP dropped the Zyprexa and doubled the Wellbutrin, and I figured I would drop the extra weight easily. Six months later, I had gained anouther 5 lbs. So I bought a new food scale and did it the most reliable way I knew how. Weighing my food consistently, and making better choices to satiate myself without feeling deprived. No magic. Unless changing your habits is magic, which it kind of is.