Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

What to eat with a stomach bug

bjkoziara
bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I posted a few days ago with a question about weight fluctuations as they relate to stomach bugs, so my apologies if you're tired of hearing about it.

I'm currently on day way-too-many (day 6) of a stomach bug of some kind. It's way different than I've experienced before and it's torture. ETA: My doctor's office said if I'm not better by Tuesday to make an appointment.

Now that I'm past the everything immediately exiting my body portion, I'm at the part where I feel full almost immediately after I start eating. I had 2 pieces of toast for dinner and I feel like I ate a 4 course meal. I tried unsuccessfully to have a Gatorade simply for electrolytes and any calories I could get, but got halfway through before feeling uncomfortably full.

I am so super tired of bread and bananas and carbs in general right now and I feel like it's filling me up so quickly without providing many cals or nutrients.

What else do you recommend I try that might sit better or not get me as full so quickly? I plan on buying some Pedialyte tomorrow and perhaps some low-sodium chicken broth, but was hoping someone had other suggestions.
«1

Replies

  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,888 Member
    Peanut butter? :)

    I just recommend peanut butter to everyone who needs a lot of calories in a small amount of food.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Peanut butter? :)

    I just recommend peanut butter to everyone who needs a lot of calories in a small amount of food.

    This is the second time I've seen you preach peanut butter today 😂 Normally I would agree and have no problems, but my doctor's office also recommended avoiding fat and dairy. I have to assume they mean any fats right?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,819 Member
    I'd recommend peanut butter as well. I know fats can sometimes cause issues, but sometimes they are also fine. Toast with peanut butter is a pretty common thing on a sore stomach.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    This again?

    Kidding.

    It may not be that you are full it may be that your stomach is highly irritated. One time I was in really bad shape because even a sip of water caused me discomfort and I was close to needing an IV level dehydrated.

    If not. Ice cream. It has nutrients and calories.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,888 Member
    bjkoziara wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Peanut butter? :)

    I just recommend peanut butter to everyone who needs a lot of calories in a small amount of food.

    This is the second time I've seen you preach peanut butter today 😂 Normally I would agree and have no problems, but my doctor's office also recommended avoiding fat and dairy. I have to assume they mean any fats right?
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This again?

    Kidding.

    It may not be that you are full it may be that your stomach is highly irritated. One time I was in really bad shape because even a sip of water caused me discomfort and I was close to needing an IV level dehydrated.

    If not. Ice cream. It has nutrients and calories.

    Aw, ice cream was going to be my second option!

    If they mean avoid ALL fats, then you're down to carbs and protein. You may want to check to see if they want you to avoid all fat, or just try it in small amounts. As far as protein without a lot of fat, maybe baked chicken or baked tofu? Those both have some fat, though. TVP (dehydrated soy crumbles) has no fat, and you could rehydrate it in broth.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    bjkoziara wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Peanut butter? :)

    I just recommend peanut butter to everyone who needs a lot of calories in a small amount of food.

    This is the second time I've seen you preach peanut butter today 😂 Normally I would agree and have no problems, but my doctor's office also recommended avoiding fat and dairy. I have to assume they mean any fats right?

    Did they specify how long? Also, I wouldn't assume they meant no fat. That would make it hard to eat anything. I would probably assume they meant high fat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,465 Member
    If it’s absolutely no fat or dairy, I suggest you carry that Gatorade around with you and sip it all day as you are able.

    Soft proteins include eggs and soft dessert style tofu.

    Be friendly with your carbs. If it’s all you can eat right now, so be it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If it’s absolutely no fat or dairy, I suggest you carry that Gatorade around with you and sip it all day as you are able.

    Soft proteins include eggs and soft dessert style tofu.

    Be friendly with your carbs. If it’s all you can eat right now, so be it.


    Eggs have fat unless it is just egg whites.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,819 Member
    From reading your comment, it sounds like you called the doctors office, spoke to reception, and they gave you general boilerplate upset stomach advice. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. While some of that may be good general advice, it's not the same as an actual medical diagnosis, and much more "Dr. Google" than anything else. I wouldn't take it as gospel. You can experiment with a small amount of fat and see how your system reacts to it.

    As someone with IBS and frequent stomach bugs, I don't really have a negative reaction to fats, but do to fiber, so everyone is different.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,282 Member
    I had a persistent stomach bug last winter - ginger ale and saltines were about all I could do once the emesis and diarrhea stopped. Graduated to toast and broth - it was well over a week before I felt like I could eat anything and probably had a depressed appetite for two weeks. I don't get these bugs often but when I do, I basically let my body tell me what it will handle. Staying hydrated/properly electrolyted is the biggest thing.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    From reading your comment, it sounds like you called the doctors office, spoke to reception, and they gave you general boilerplate upset stomach advice. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. While some of that may be good general advice, it's not the same as an actual medical diagnosis, and much more "Dr. Google" than anything else. I wouldn't take it as gospel. You can experiment with a small amount of fat and see how your system reacts to it.

    As someone with IBS and frequent stomach bugs, I don't really have a negative reaction to fats, but do to fiber, so everyone is different.

    They have a messaging system in which you can communicate directly with the doctor or one of the nurses about your issues. Explained my symptoms and yepp, they pretty much gave me "eat bland food, avoid fat and dairy, call us Tuesday if you're not better". I don't have any diagnosed digestive issues except lactose intolerance thanks to a bout of sepsis when I was a teen, but I'm super prone to stomach flus and have figured out on my own that I'm sensitive to fiber.

    Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try some peanut butter for sure and see if that helps. Even a couple of spoonfuls directly into my mouth would help. I will try eggs as well - for some reason I forgot they exist for a minute I guess?
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I had a persistent stomach bug last winter - ginger ale and saltines were about all I could do once the emesis and diarrhea stopped. Graduated to toast and broth - it was well over a week before I felt like I could eat anything and probably had a depressed appetite for two weeks. I don't get these bugs often but when I do, I basically let my body tell me what it will handle. Staying hydrated/properly electrolyted is the biggest thing.

    I am a frequent flier with stomach bugs, but usually they're gone in 48ish hours. This one is a rough one though. I've been getting wicked headaches at the end of the day too. Can't tell if it's dehydration or lack of calories. Maybe both.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This again?

    Kidding.

    It may not be that you are full it may be that your stomach is highly irritated. One time I was in really bad shape because even a sip of water caused me discomfort and I was close to needing an IV level dehydrated.

    If not. Ice cream. It has nutrients and calories.

    Har har :tongue: I sure hope I'm not actually full, that would mean my stomach has reduced in size drastically. I feel like I'm almost at the point where even liquids make me feel full. It's just ridiculous is what it is.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    I had a stomach bug last November that lasted 4/5 days, I just ate/drank what I could when I could and didn't pay too much attention to the nutrition. I tend to go a bit easier on myself when I'm ill, especially when it's affecting my appetite. Lived mostly off of dry toast and sports-type drinks.

    I also couldn't eat properly for a couple of weeks after (smaller appetite and just generally afraid of getting it again!). I was so happy when I manage to eat my usual amount again!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 547 Member
    Chocolate almond/soy milk, fruit juice diluted with water, scrambled eggs, soup.

    Essentially anything you feel like you can tolerate just to get something in.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,888 Member
    How are you feeling?
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Maybe some applesauce? Or a very light soup or broth?
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    How are you feeling?

    Thanks for asking 💕 I kind of took your peanut butter suggestion and bought some of those peanut butter crackers! I ate a can of chicken noodle soup about 12 hours ago and then made myself snack on the crackers and some other things I picked up. I managed to get about 1000 calories today but feel uncomfortably full still. Hoping it gets better each day!
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Maybe some applesauce? Or a very light soup or broth?

    Yes, I tried soup today! I think the volume of liquids contributes to my feeling full so I might try more calorie dense things if I can tolerate them.
  • onepebble
    onepebble Posts: 22 Member
    Toast and vegemite is my fallback food when I can’t stomach much else. That probably doesn’t help non-Aussies though.
    Or toast and avocado, thinly sliced apple and cheese... really though, anything you can tolerate is fine at this point.
    If it’s hot where you are, look for some electrolyte icypoles- they can be a good way to stay hydrated and a bit balanced if not much else stays down.