What was your "time to get healthy" moment?

Options
ekboh
ekboh Posts: 53 Member
Just curious what spurred others to start getting healthy, losing weight, and joining MFP?

For me, I had been unhappy with my weight, looks, and size for a while. I had steadily gained weight over the past 2 years or so. A couple weeks ago I went to a concert and had an outfit picked out including new shorts I bought special. Those shorts got a stain on them right before we left, and I had no other shorts to wear because none of my summer clothing from prior years fit anymore. I had 1 pair of jeans that fit well and had to wear those. It really upset me, probably more than it should have, to have my outfit ruined and to have no other options.
That feeling of helplessly crying over shorts for some reason was my trigger to start MFP and get myself back to a place where I am healthier and feel positive about myself and my body. I've been spending a lot of energy hating my weight, my pants size, my body shape... time to make a change.

What about you?

Replies

• ekboh
    Options
    dregz wrote: »
    It's kind of embarassing and I hope doesn't offend anyone, but it's the truth.

LOL whatever works!! It's crazy how it works sometimes. I'm glad there was a turning point for you! The motivation is the hardest struggle if you ask me.

• ekboh
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    mine isn't as severe or depressing as the others in this thread (hugs to all!). i simply got stuck in the back of my daughter's car at her graduation. my fat a** couldn't move. the looks i got, and the look of horror on my poor daughter's face, gave me the kick i needed.

Good for you, whatever gets you here. I feel somewhat the same, like my push to get here was due to embarrassment I guess. But moreso my motivation is to never feel like that again!
  • Lindyloo54321
    Lindyloo54321 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Aalps wrote: »
    I've tried all the slimming clubs going but none stuck. I'd do well for a couple of months then start to resent the rules and overeat again. My husband got really ill, and when I was sat next to his hospital bed and the consultant told us it was a good job he was so fit and healthy before he fell ill otherwise he may not have made it, I realised I needed to change. I had a "general health" check coming up in 2 weeks at my doctors so also following I suspect the same "media" doctor as @Lindyloo54321 I lost a stone and a half before that appointment which meant all my markers for Diabetes, cholesterol etc were within normal limits. I'm now 2.5 stone down and continuing with MFP. I have to eat slightly less calories than maybe people would recommend as I have Hashimoto's and it is a hard slog but this is for me and I feel happy in my skin. About another 3 stone to go still, but it feels achievable this time as there is no pressure from anywhere to weigh every week or explain why I overate by half a chocolate digestive. MFP forums are truly inspiring too <3
    Wow! Well done you, for avoiding potential health issues found at your medical. Hope your husband is well now. I've also been down the route of slimming clubs- lost, then regained plus! Attendance at the clubs was mostly for vanity reasons, if I'm honest. This time it's different. After my diagnosis, my daughter immediately bought me the latest edition of a magazine called Top Sante, which had an article about reducing, or even reversing Diabetes T2. She also bought me a copy of 'the Doctor's' ( am I allowed to name him?) Blood Sugar Diet. Between them all, and the excellent MFP, my life is changing forever. Good luck.

• Aalps
    Aalps Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow! Well done you, for avoiding potential health issues found at your medical. Hope your husband is well now. I've also been down the route of slimming clubs- lost, then regained plus! Attendance at the clubs was mostly for vanity reasons, if I'm honest. This time it's different. After my diagnosis, my daughter immediately bought me the latest edition of a magazine called Top Sante, which had an article about reducing, or even reversing Diabetes T2. She also bought me a copy of 'the Doctor's' ( am I allowed to name him?) Blood Sugar Diet. Between them all, and the excellent MFP, my life is changing forever. Good luck.

Hubby is completely better now thanks! Massive well done to you for changing your life. I actually found the blood sugar diet pretty easy with no hunger and very few cravings (my downfall!) although I'm much more relaxed now and try to stick to lower carbs (not carb free, I still like the odd slice of bread or a bit of rice and I'm a sucker for a roast potato) eating good fat which is hard when all your life you've tried to do the opposite and plenty of protein and veg. Simply because it suits me!! I try to avoid sugar and pastry because if I start I can't stop...

Hopefully you can reverse your diabetes, good luck with the nurse appt. in August let us know how it goes!!
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Aalps wrote: »

Hubby is completely better now thanks! Massive well done to you for changing your life. I actually found the blood sugar diet pretty easy with no hunger and very few cravings (my downfall!) although I'm much more relaxed now and try to stick to lower carbs (not carb free, I still like the odd slice of bread or a bit of rice and I'm a sucker for a roast potato) eating good fat which is hard when all your life you've tried to do the opposite and plenty of protein and veg. Simply because it suits me!! I try to avoid sugar and pastry because if I start I can't stop...

Hopefully you can reverse your diabetes, good luck with the nurse appt. in August let us know how it goes!!

Hi both - I hit the T2 markers in February and also did the Blood Sugar diet - apart from still being fat :) my markers are now back in the normal range. Reversing T2 is not possible for everyone but it is possible, esp if you are relatively new to the issue.

I started at 800 calories NET and that got nearly 40lb off in 13 weeks without any issues around hunger or how I felt. If anything it showed me how I really did not need to eat all the time and/or in case I could'nt eat later.....

MFP showed me I clearly didnt have a scooby-doo about portions sizes - the content wasnt too bad, there was just waaay too much of it.

Now I shift between 800 and 1500 NET depending on whats going on with life to get the 'last' 40lb off and I also feel way better for this way of eating.

For those who want some reading on this, this link give a lot of info about the potential to reverse T2 as well as how a lower than the often quoted 1200 calories can be nutritionally balanced when adhered to under the appropriate circumstances (so not for those with ED's, who are pregnant, under 16's etc).

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#overview

P.S - I still think sugar and pastry are wonderful and evil in equal measure - just rarely worth the calorie 'spend'.
  • Aalps
    Aalps Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @OooohToast We have a very similar outlook :D you've done amazingly! I never hit those markers but I suspect I would have done if I hadn't taken action before the checkup.

Sugar and pastry used to rule my life - I would crave them both and usually give in. Recording what I eat is the key to success. Even If I have a food I wouldn't normally eat it goes down on the diary. I can openly admit to having days where my first 400 calories was made up of a brilliant tuna salad with olive oil then there would be an 800 calorie "blip" of 6 Warburtons potato cakes to make up my food for the rest of the day. What is so good is that even if this happens I know I'm not out of control, I just need to rein myself in and carry on. My head won't fall off and I don't need to explain it to anyone. I am in control, and I'm making choices for me. It's taken 47 years to understand that!!
  • ekboh
    Options
    Wow, these long term members like @alinoveau @neugebauer52 and of course many more are so inspiring!!