Help!!! Please :)

Hello!

I’m trying to grow my quads glutes and hamstring whilst losing fat.

I’ve made my self a training plan that consists of 3 legs day a week (1 hypertrophy, 1 quad, 1 glutes & hamstrings) then 2 days of upper and 1 day where I do a circuit class and spin. Plus I try and do at least 3 20 minute cardio sessions as well.

I’m 23, 72kg and 5’6.

I’ve up my carb intake to 180 grams a day, with protein at 130 gram and fats at 50 grams.

Does anyone have any advice on things I could change or do to grow my legs and reduce my body fat? I’ve got 12 weeks til I go on holiday and want to look good (who doesn’t!).

Thanks in advance

Replies

• waterhg
    waterhg Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2019
    You're unlikely to see any significant change trying to 'recomp' in 12 weeks, which is what you're suggesting by growing legs and reducing fat.

Stick to one or the other. Most would prefer to lose fat if you're going for a beach body look, as you lose fat your legs will probably look more defined. Having said that, you can't choose where the fat comes off.

If you want to cut fat eat at a calorie deficit to enable around 1 to 2lb a week weight loss. If you want to grow, eat at a surplus to enable around 0.25lb to 0.5lb a week weight gain. I'd suggest swapping some of those protein calories for fat. Whichever option you choose make sure you follow a proven progressive lifting programme.

Good luck!
  • Ashleebee1995
    Ashleebee1995 Posts: 24 Member
    waterhg wrote: »
    You're unlikely to see any significant change trying to 'recomp' in 12 weeks, which is what you're suggesting by growing legs and reducing fat.

Stick to one or the other. Most would prefer to lose fat if you're going for a beach body look, as you lose fat your legs will probably look more defined. Having said that, you can't choose where the fat comes off.

If you want to cut fat eat at a calorie deficit to enable around 1 to 2lb a week weight loss. If you want to grow, eat at a surplus to enable around 0.25lb to 0.5lb a week weight gain. I'd suggest swapping some of those protein calories for fat. Whichever option you choose make sure you follow a proven progressive lifting programme.

Good luck!

Thank you!

So if say I was to focus on the fat loss but stick to my training plan. Then have more fats as well, do you reckon this would help with the fat loss? And hopefully see some my definition on my muscles?
  • shayd742
    shayd742 Posts: 3 Member
    If you commit to that regimen I think you will see great results. Diet, training and good rest will be the keys. Don't get discouraged if you miss a day of training or just feel burnt out. Take a day or two off to allow body and mind to refresh. But don't give up completely. One thing I love to do and would suggest (maybe on a day you feel like switching it up a bit) is to throw on a backpack w some weight and take a relaxing walk. Maybe throw a gallon of water (8 lbs) in your pack and listen to music as you walk. I love this, did it a ton in the military and still do it at least 3+miles, 3X a week. This will bring out definition in your calves and legs in general. It will also work your upper body and core to a lesser degree. Stay motivated and have fun, Good luck!
  • waterhg
    waterhg Posts: 5 Member
    waterhg wrote: »

Good luck!

Thank you!

So if say I was to focus on the fat loss but stick to my training plan. Then have more fats as well, do you reckon this would help with the fat loss? And hopefully see some my definition on my muscles?

It depends on your training experience and fitness levels but I'd day that you are probably overdoing the amount of exercise. Unless you really know how to put a lifting programme together I'd stick with one of the existing proven programmes.

Remember, your muscles will only grow while resting. By overdoing it you will hinder recovery which means you will be liftng suboptimally during your workouts. A 3 day per week full body routine employing mostly compound exercises, combined with a couple of days light cardio, and eating at a small defecit will see you good.

Regarding the fat, it was just an observation that your protein is quite high and your fat is quite low. Fat is an important macro for good health and hormone regulation. It doesn't make you fat.
  • Ashleebee1995
    Ashleebee1995 Posts: 24 Member
    I’ve been training for around 3-4 years but mainly doing weight circuit training 5/6 days a week.
    I love being in the gym, so I’m usually there 6 times a week, unless I feel burnt out.

And yeah I get you. I’ve been on higher protein than that in the past and seen no fat loss or weight loss. (PTs advice). But after some research and calculations, that’s the numbers I’ve could out with.

I’m focusing more on Marcos than calories though
  • Joshr225
    Joshr225 Posts: 1 Member
    I would have to agree with the guys above, growing muscle with trying to loose weight through dieting and cardio is extremely unlikely, but lowering your body fat percentage can give the impression your muscle mass has increased. Focus on trimming the body fat right down, if after the summer your still determined to grow your legs, then take up a serious bulk. Start the dieting process same time next year and I'm sure you'll see those results your after!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Is this a training plan you made on your own? Unless you have quite a bit of experience I would follow an established program, something like Strong Curves is fantastic for the lower body.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also 12 weeks is not a lot of time, but you can definitely see results in terms of lowering your bodyfat % to help the muscle show more by eating in a small deficit and keeping protein up.