What was your "time to get healthy" moment?

Options

Replies

• mnbell2013
    mnbell2013 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    It was just time.

This is what it came down to for me. I'd been gaining weight for months and had many false starts, but one day I knew it was just time.

• ekboh
    ekboh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Around the same time, I caught my reflection in a mirror and realized my outside didn't match my inside.

I love that. That's such a positive way to put it. I get really really down on myself and my appearance and that's a much better way to think of it! Congrats on all your hard work and success.

• jfdi6960
    jfdi6960 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Mine was just over 10 years ago a partner took a nude pic of me (:-0) and i realised I was officially 'plump'. Been up and down with it since then
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Aalps wrote: »
    @OooohToast We have a very similar outlook :D you've done amazingly! I never hit those markers but I suspect I would have done if I hadn't taken action before the checkup.

Sugar and pastry used to rule my life - I would crave them both and usually give in. Recording what I eat is the key to success. Even If I have a food I wouldn't normally eat it goes down on the diary. I can openly admit to having days where my first 400 calories was made up of a brilliant tuna salad with olive oil then there would be an 800 calorie "blip" of 6 Warburtons potato cakes to make up my food for the rest of the day. What is so good is that even if this happens I know I'm not out of control, I just need to rein myself in and carry on. My head won't fall off and I don't need to explain it to anyone. I am in control, and I'm making choices for me. It's taken 47 years to understand that!!

Same here - isnt it liberating ?!
  • Lynn_091819
    Lynn_091819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I resonate with all of the above, but mostly as life has been so chaotic around me, it hit me that I may not be able to control what happens around me, but I can control this, and maybe if I can start getting these pounds off again, just maybe everything else will kinda fall into place.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had to ask my s/o to paint my toenails because reaching them was too uncomfortable.
  • ekboh
    Options
    Five0Six wrote: »
    I have lupus nephritis and stage 3 kidney disease. After 3 years, I finally got some good news last week. My hemoglobin levels are up to a 9.7. My creatine levels are at a 1, which is right in the range of a healthy persons. And my phosphate levels are almost normal. I was elated.

A friend of mine said "Now that the meds are giving your body a bit of a respite, what else could you do to improve your health?"

I thought about it and the next day, revived my account here.

That's awesome. My dad used to be on dialysis and had a transplant, so I totally know about the struggles of kidney disease and how it can be related to many other things. Good for you for taking your own health into your hands! (I wish my dad would do the same... he could do a lot better!!)
  • ekboh
    Options
    Jamie2663 wrote: »
    Mine is petty. I don't have any health issues (yet) and I have always been pretty active. I am sure it slowed me down some but I have lived with carrying the extra weight for so long it is my norm. My moment was I didn't enjoy getting dressed up anymore. I didn't feel attractive and have always had low self-confidence, this made it worse. I hit my highest weight ever. I also know the older I get carrying the extra weight around will be harder on my body. I want to continue being active with my kids and I want to look in the mirror and not feel unworthy. So there is more to my journey then just losing weight.

I totally understand this, I am feeling the same. I feel so down on myself for my weight and appearance and it feels petty, but the emotions I'm feeling are real. I am hoping that some hard work will help turn it around.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    ekboh wrote: »
    Jamie2663 wrote: »
    Mine is petty. I don't have any health issues (yet) and I have always been pretty active. I am sure it slowed me down some but I have lived with carrying the extra weight for so long it is my norm. My moment was I didn't enjoy getting dressed up anymore. I didn't feel attractive and have always had low self-confidence, this made it worse. I hit my highest weight ever. I also know the older I get carrying the extra weight around will be harder on my body. I want to continue being active with my kids and I want to look in the mirror and not feel unworthy. So there is more to my journey then just losing weight.

I totally understand this, I am feeling the same. I feel so down on myself for my weight and appearance and it feels petty, but the emotions I'm feeling are real. I am hoping that some hard work will help turn it around.

So far I have lost 60lbs and I am now at my lightest weight as an adult. Damage is still done and I have a lot more work to do mentally and physically but getting there. Good luck with your journey ❤
  • kiarnajane31
    kiarnajane31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me it was seeing a video on YouTube called "recovering addict reacts to amberlynn reid" and realising that my mindset was exactly like that of an addict... to food. It really opened my eyes to how horribly I was living my life and how mentally and physically taxing it was.