Eating when drunk

Options
2»

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm the WORST eater when I drink. THE WORST!
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Eating when I’m drunk just messes up my diet every time but I just can’t figure out how to avoid it. I’ve tried not drinking at all in the past and it worked for a couple months but it’s a not a long term solution given that drinking is still clearly a part of my social life. I really need some tips or advice on this. I’m clearly eating enough throughout the day so that’s not the problem. And it happens even when I don’t drink too much i.e. just two small glasses of wine is enough to get me eating too much when I get home (I’m a lightweight).

Veggies and dip! Big hit at parties I have at my house. Filling, low calorie, nutritious!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Just a disclaimer - banking exercise calories is one thing, but purging with exercise is not mentally healthy or sustainable for a lot of people.

Oh, completely agree. I've been down that road before, and it's a bad, bad road.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you eat lightly to save calories for drinking/eating later in the day, you may be so hungry by then that you binge.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    OP, you mentioned that you have trouble not over-eating specifically at home after drinking. I like to keep those 100-calorie mini bags of popcorn handy. It takes a while to eat so I'm less likely to be raiding the fridge/pantry for one snack after another, and it makes me feel like I ate more than I actually did.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Keep in mind that if you eat lightly to save calories for drinking/eating later in the day, you may be so hungry by then that you binge.

and depending how lightly you eat can lead to some bad results with drinking. not eating and then drinking is a bad idea.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I eat about 300 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch and have about 3 glasses of wine with my dinner. It comes out to about 2,000 calories a day. I've been losing weight doing that. :)

Plus drink wine or vodka and stay away from beer. XD
  • alienseamstress
    alienseamstress Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All these responses that focus on drinking less, that is obviously the best route but you probably already know that. I grew up as a social drinker too and I totally understand the craving for tasty food and the care-free attitude that goes with it.
    I found it to be enough of a concern for me that I would always try to set myself up for some type of success if it were at my house.. like preparing a big veggie tray with hummus for everyone beforehand, something there would be leftovers of and that would be the most accessible later on out of everything else laying around.
    After drinking, you will probably be a lot more lenient and appreciative of things that are usually not so much. So don't leave chips, nuts or leftover pizza sitting around. Plain popcorn is great, or celery.
    If I am out somewhere else and can't just set myself up ahead of time, then I'll drink as slow, and as late as I can, so the alcohol munchies don't kick in until I'm home again or at least not at a club, bar or friend's bbq where bad food is readily available.
    If you are caught somewhere and totally screwed, just do what I do.. remind yourself that eating anything after drinking means it's time to start feeling blah, sluggish, red eyes, and ugh. It is usually a good failsafe for when I can't plan ahead.