Not Getting Enough Nutrition/Calories?

Options
CMNVA
CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
Hi everyone. Well, I got back on the calorie counting almost one month ago.

I am a sedentary 55 y/o woman (office job, hurt ankle, so I truly am sedentary).

MFP calculated that in order to lose 1/2 pound per week, I should eat around 1450 calories. I think I've done pretty well with that. I've had a few days where I went slightly over, and I had some days where I hovered in the 1300s. That was generally by accident. For instance, last night, the rotisserie chicken I bought was overcooked and dry so I only had a few bites. Or maybe I didn't care for something I made so I didn't eat as much as planned.

So, after 4 weeks, I've managed to lose about 5 lbs (more than the 1/2 pound per week, happy to say). But what I've noticed in the last week or so is that sometimes, when I'm just walking around or cleaning, my muscles in my legs and arms just feel tired. Like they would feel if you really stressed them, but yet, you're not doing anything really. Just muscle fatigue I guess. They aren't sore or hurt, they just feel like I working through molasses.

I don't think I have any health issues. I've been recently and regularly checked for anemia, thyroid issues, anything you can think of and I'm okay, so I've chalked it up to not eating either or enough or not eating correctly. I will say that at 1450 calories, I think it's pretty hard to get all my "nutrition" in with the low quantities of food as well as the types of food I eat.

My diary is public in case you want to look at my food intake.

Thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Normally when people are concerned about hitting calories I recommend peanut butter. However, in your case, since you are concerned about adequate nutrition, I recommend more protein. I looked at your meals and a simple way for you to boost protein in your spaghetti and tortellini meals would be to always have frozen meatballs on hand and to add a few to those meals. I also find less spags and more protein more filling :)

How many pounds until you hit your goal weight?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Are you going low carb? I am not sure that matters too much with just light activity but worth a check I suppose.

Have you lost the 5 pounds somewhat evenly or was there a big drop the first week?

I might try a few things but if it doesn't feel better in another week or so I would schedule an appt with my doctor.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Normally when people are concerned about hitting calories I recommend peanut butter. However, in your case, since you are concerned about adequate nutrition, I recommend more protein. I looked at your meals and a simple way for you to boost protein in your spaghetti and tortellini meals would be to always have frozen meatballs on hand and to add a few to those meals. I also find less spags and more protein more filling :)

How many pounds until you hit your goal weight?

I started out at around 162. During that time I was absolutely gorging myself really. So I wavered between 162 and 160 (I think some was water retention). So I started at 160 really (I think). I didn't lose anything for a week or so, and then it seemed to come off about a 1/2 pound every other day, then I'd stay the same, then another 1/2 lb.

My goal weight is about 145, so I guess 10 more pounds. A little lower would be nice, but I feel okay in the my clothes and appearance at 145. Historically, at 5'7", I've weighed about 140 pounds for a LONG time. Crept up to 145 in my 40s, and then ballooned to 160 in the past year or so.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Are you going low carb? I am not sure that matters too much with just light activity but worth a check I suppose.

Have you lost the 5 pounds somewhat evenly or was there a big drop the first week?

I might try a few things but if it doesn't feel better in another week or so I would schedule an appt with my doctor.

Nope, not low carb. Just trying to find the best "value" for 1450 calories a day. I tend to be a volume eater so I look for things that take up volume but are lower calorie.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What you described with the 1/2 pound every other day sounds like water weight coming off. I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello OP and well done on the 5lb off so far ! Do you think you are drinking enough ? Light dehydration can easily be missed and thought of as hunger or tiredness ?
  • CMNVA
    Options
    OooohToast wrote: »
    Hello OP and well done on the 5lb off so far ! Do you think you are drinking enough ? Light dehydration can easily be missed and thought of as hunger or tiredness ?

I do think I am drinking enough. I don't log water, but I am drinking. It's funny because as the day wears on and I eat more, that muscle tiredness disappears. It went away after lunch today.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    OooohToast wrote: »

I do think I am drinking enough. I don't log water, but I am drinking. It's funny because as the day wears on and I eat more, that muscle tiredness disappears. It went away after lunch today.

That's interesting. Maybe it's electrolyte balance.