Keto on and off for a year, now confused!!

Options
Hi everyone I’m new here and would love some feedback. I’ve been on and off with Keto since last year of June. It absolutely sucks feeling that I can’t stick to it after I start to lose the weight only to then crave into dessert and start to pile back up the weight again. Before I ate at a 1200 calorie deficit and ate carbs such as whole grains, more fruit and brown rice. Ezekiel toast was my jam with almond butter and sliced bananas lol. I tried Keto after a few friends telling me about it and loved how I felt after the first week of going strict Keto. Loved being able to eat sausage, bacon, lots of protein with high fatty foods. But I’m such a dessert fanatic and truly miss it after some time. It’s just hard for me to maintain Keto I guess. Now I can’t help but feel I’ve confused my body lol and I just can’t seem to decide what to do to lose 25 lbs.

Anyone tried keto and got off to just eating healthier and at a deficit with successful steady weight loss? Would love to make new friends with open diaries that have / had success in losing weight..

What has worked for you? I’m sedentary and only run 2x week for about 30 mins - a mom of 3 kids and working full time. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You said:

"I’m sedentary and only run 2x week for about 30 mins - a mom of 3 kids and working full time."

That's not sedentary in any way, shape, or fashion. Very few people actually need to eat as low as 1200 to lose weight. Trying to more often than not backfires, leading to binges that wipe out your deficit.

I can't speak to keto, as I've never done it and haven't been tempted to try. I lost my weight eating pizza, chips, burgers (along with plenty of veggies, chicken, and other "healthy" stuff).

Good catch.

OP read this too:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Thanks for linking. I'm too lazy :smiley:
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    My body didn't get confused when I would try keto but my brain would,I was too used to logging and sticking to my 1550 calories a day but when I was trying keto I'm positive that my calories were going waaaay over that! I'd mindlessly eat cheese,keto friendly chocolate,slices of pepperoni and tell myself it was fine it's low carb,after dealing with serious stomach issues and feeling deprived like you described I decided to just go back to eating small bits of what I wanted and logging it,I can't and won't live the keto lifestyle.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello OP - the change to a sucessful way of eating is finding the one that works for you. It really does need to be sustainable. I dont claim to be a KETO'er bcos they tend to get upset when I say to OP's you can up your carbs beyond 20g NET or even 50g and still get the benefits of Keto (appetite supression, less rumbly tum etc). I also think you need to track calories on Keto to understand the CICO impact to your weightloss. I follow a Keto diet and keep my NET carbs between 50g and 100g and stay in Ketosis as long as I exercise.

That being said, from your post, it seems you had a WOE that worked for you before - my thoughts are if that worked for you, go back to it.

We are all individuals and no matter what people say, there is not one diet plan to suit all - not even CICO e.g. diabetics can benefit from moderarating added sugar (as can we all).

Like trying to be like someone else, trying to eat like someone else is not sustainable.

Just be great at being you :)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I was researching keto as a lifestyle (note I didn't say diet) and realized it wouldn't be sustainable for me due to the food restrictions.

Find a path that works for you. <3