Scared

Options
I'm starting to lose all the weight I gained and I hope to break the 200s soon. However, I'm scared because I've seen so many people lose the weight just to gain it all back. I don't want that to happen to me!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You can't base your journey on someone else's experience, be theirs good or bad. You sound like you're doing well, keep it up! <3
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    once I hit my goal, I'm actually going to try stopping for a month and see what happens. Will I immediately gain back? will I be able to keep myself around my goal w/out gaining? Its going to be an experiment.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to lose all the weight I gained and I hope to break the 200s soon. However, I'm scared because I've seen so many people lose the weight just to gain it all back. I don't want that to happen to me!

I know, it's scary. A lot of this stuff is scary. One day at a time, though, and work to get your head in the right place to believe you can handle, whatever, and make lasting changes.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Here’s the thing. Losing weight isn’t something you do and then go back to the way you ate before once you reach goal. Been there, done that...and that’s why I’m back on MFP eating at a deficit again. In addition to learning a way of eating that is sustainable for you IN THE LONG TERM (for the rest of your life?) you have to really shift your mind-set. Not “oooh, donuts,” but “do I REALLY want this donut and if I eat it am I okay with not having dessert later” kind of thing. This is HARD.
  • Annaleighmarie
    Annaleighmarie Posts: 200 Member
    Options

The best way I've seen to reduce/eliminate that risk, judging by others' successes is to make sustainable changes you can live with the rest of your life. Eat in a way you enjoy that aligns with your goals. Don't gravitate to something like keto or vegan or cut out foods you like purely for weight loss because you'll likely struggle to transition. That being said once you get to your goal weight, if you start to notice the weight creep back you know what to do to get it back down.

I usually see those diets fail pretty badly for that very reason. They usually cannot handle doing that forever.
    whmscll wrote: »
    Here’s the thing. Losing weight isn’t something you do and then go back to the way you ate before once you reach goal. Been there, done that...and that’s why I’m back on MFP eating at a deficit again. In addition to learning a way of eating that is sustainable for you IN THE LONG TERM (for the rest of your life?) you have to really shift your mind-set. Not “oooh, donuts,” but “do I REALLY want this donut and if I eat it am I okay with not having dessert later” kind of thing. This is HARD.

It really is!