I'm lowering my calories back down

Options
OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
About 2 to 3 weeks ago I upped my calories to 2,000-2,100 from 1,500-1,600 after being down 70 pounds with just 12 to go.
Well I'm going back down to 1,600 to 1,700. I just do not like what is going on with the scale, especially this week. I have an extremely active job so I especially do not like what is going on with the scale in the morning.
2 days ago I was back down to 204.6 and the last 2 days 205.2 and 205.4 after hitting a low of 202.6 when I upped my calories. I did see 202.8 with the upped calories about 5 or 6 days ago but I think I'm still gonna lower my calories down.
What do you guys think? Am I just panicking? Any advice would be great. I will say I am freaking pissed this morning at the last 2 weigh ins and today's in particular. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

If you weigh your food and log accurately you need to trust that you are in a deficit and the bathroom scale will show your weight loss when the fluctuation noise dies down for a moment.

• OAS5
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    I weigh daily and take a weekly average. I have read that you can weigh daily and as long as you hit a new low sometime during the week, you are on track.
    Have you always weighed daily?
    Also, does the higher calorie target still leave you with a deficit?

I started weighing every day any 3 months ago and I knew it would be an up and down thing.
    By MFP .5 pounds a week they have my calories target at 2,500 and change. I usually do 2,000-2,100, maybe 2,200.
    Maybe it's the change to weighing everyday and upping calories and I just need to get used to ask that?
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Can you compromise and back off just some of what you added vs. going all.the way back? Maybe do this for a couple of weeks and then decide where to go from there?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I`ve been at 0.5lb for a number of months now. it`s a hard slog and requires patience and constant reminders to focus on the process. it's a mind game.

I don't see drops weekly. in fact it can be 2-3 weeks before I see one (though it's usually 1lb at that point - so ON AVERAGE looking back my progress is ok but i don't see that for months). And yes i can have "gone up" for a week sometimes before dropping back down. when things look bleak i double down on weighing, logging, double checking entries. i've fixed most issues by now so it's mostly a water fluctuation. Pretty sure i had a major hold back due to stress. or maybe it was adding the cycling.
  • OAS5
    Options
    I guess I'll just push through. I'll give it about 3-4 weeks and see what's going on. I'm still not going over 2,000. I think I'll cut it off there.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    setting limits isn't helpful. your body needs what it needs. just play around and see what works for your body without random limits. (not saying jump to that number but as you test and adjust you may find you indeed need to be over 2000 and there is nothing wrong with that). There is no random reason women shouldn't eat 2000+ if that is what that particular woman needs given her activity level.
    I guess I'll just push through. I'll give it about 3-4 weeks and see what's going on. I'm still not going over 2,000. I think I'll cut it off there.

• OAS5
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    setting limits isn't helpful. your body needs what it needs. just play around and see what works for your body without random limits. (not saying jump to that number but as you test and adjust you may find you indeed need to be over 2000 and there is nothing wrong with that). There is no random reason women shouldn't eat 2000+ if that is what that particular woman needs given her activity level.

Yeah your right, I just had a moment of insanity. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. It's pizza night tonight and in not giving that up. Around 60 pounds down I started doing pizza night on Friday. My 6 year old son loves pizza party Friday.

It's really important to look at trends over time and not tie your emotions to short term scale fluctuations. They are just data points along the way. I think it will help you if you can learn to just view them as an observer and not have any expectations. Weigh in, log it in a trending app. Look at it once a week or so. Adjust based on real world results over a 4 to 6 week trend.

Yeah usually I take everything in stride but the last week have annoyed me. I guess I just got a little too annoyed this morning and posted. 😁 I'll stick with the plan.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Boy you guys are right, when you are right you are right. I started to panic and really get annoyed this week with the scale. I didn't change anything or lower my calorie intake because of this thread. last 3 days on the scale in the morning I was 205.2, 205.4, and 205.8 which really annoyed me. But this morning 203.4. 202.6 was my lowest. I'm in a plateau/whoosh effect thing which is fine. That scale and human body is crazy.

Congratulations on your whoosh!!
  • OAS5
    Options
    Boy you guys are right, when you are right you are right. I started to panic and really get annoyed this week with the scale. I didn't change anything or lower my calorie intake because of this thread. last 3 days on the scale in the morning I was 205.2, 205.4, and 205.8 which really annoyed me. But this morning 203.4. 202.6 was my lowest. I'm in a plateau/whoosh effect thing which is fine. That scale and human body is crazy.

Thankn you. I'm not sure in ready to drop but I might be. It might be one of those get close to your low, go back up a bit and then drop. Never can tell right?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Thankn you. I'm not sure in ready to drop but I might be. It might be one of those get close to your low, go back up a bit and then drop. Never can tell right?

Usually when I start going down unless I do something that is sure to make me retain water again I am within days of a new low. But what is usual for me may not apply to you. I think it is best to keep yourself from thinking about it too much. It is harder when you get close to a milestone number even for me and you are close to a century change.
  • OAS5
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Usually when I start going down unless I do something that is sure to make me retain water again I am within days of a new low. But what is usual for me may not apply to you. I think it is best to keep yourself from thinking about it too much. It is harder when you get close to a milestone number even for me and you are close to a century change.

Thank you for the suggestions. Yeah best not to over think or just think about it too much at all. Easy to say, harder to do.