Keto - Fatigue/Tiredness

Options
Hello, I am 7 days in to the Keto Diet and things are going great. 7lb down and I’ve finally got my sugar addiction under control (for now), but past day or so I’ve just felt completely drained or one minute I’m fine and the next I could just literally close my eyes and fall a sleep. Has anyone any advice for me on how to deal with this? X

Replies

• lmcdonald1979
    lmcdonald1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The ~7 pound water weight drop has lowered your electrolytes. I suggest getting a sugar free sports drink or 3 and adding more salt to your diet until this passes.

Ideally the "keto flu" would have been something you found during your research before choosing to start this new, and for some people, drastically different way of eating.

I did my research, but was just wanting some advice from others. Will give the electrolytes a try. Have never felt the fatigue before, maybe I had more sodium last time I did this. Thanks :-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating? What is your protein goal and are you hitting it?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 7 days in to the Keto Diet and things are going great. 7lb down and I’ve finally got my sugar addiction under control (for now), but past day or so I’ve just felt completely drained or one minute I’m fine and the next I could just literally close my eyes and fall a sleep. Has anyone any advice for me on how to deal with this? X

That 7 lbs was mostly water weight, so I agree that your first shot should be sports drinks to see if it's just an electrolyte problem. You need to eat higher sodium on keto so keep that in mind.

I'd also make sure you aren't undereating as that can lead to fatigue as well.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but sometimes people are so caught up in their new diet they miss the obvious - how are you sleeping well? Any unusual stress this week?

I thrive on a higher carb diet, so I have no personal experience eating keto, but it does seem like some people do struggle a little transitioning, and some people it just doesn't agree with.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Yeah... eat some carbs. Why did you choose keto? Sugar is not addictive.

Anything is addictive. Some substances are physically addictive, but anything can be addictive.

Fair. To be clear then sugar is not brain addictive like say cocaine, tobacco or alcohol .

Those are physically addictive. All addictions have a brain component.

• lmcdonald1979
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

That 7 lbs was mostly water weight, so I agree that your first shot should be sports drinks to see if it's just an electrolyte problem. You need to eat higher sodium on keto so keep that in mind.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but sometimes people are so caught up in their new diet they miss the obvious - how are you sleeping well? Any unusual stress this week?

I thrive on a higher carb diet, so I have no personal experience eating keto, but it does seem like some people do struggle a little transitioning, and some people it just doesn't agree with.

Hitting protein goal and maintaining around 1200-1300 calories a day. Going to give the sodium intake a boostx

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Hitting protein goal and maintaining around 1200-1300 calories a day. Going to give the sodium intake a boostx

Its not an usual response. I feel exhausted and my overall sports performance will suffer and i tend to add a bunch of salt to stuff. I also regularly consume pickles.

If you are active, 1200-1300 may not be enough calories, especially if you are younger. Definitely increase sodium consumption as a start.

How much protein are you consuming, what are your stats and what is your exercise routine?
  • lmcdonald1979
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Its not an usual response. I feel exhausted and my overall sports performance will suffer and i tend to add a bunch of salt to stuff. I also regularly consume pickles.

If you are active, 1200-1300 may not be enough calories, especially if you are younger. Definitely increase sodium consumption as a start.

How much protein are you consuming, what are your stats and what is your exercise routine?

My diet is mainly fat & protein so protein is up at about 110g, fitness is limited at the minute to 2 times a week and I have a desk job. On training days I tend to eat more. Extra 200 cals. Took a Berroca before and must admit I feel a lot better... will continue to take daily.