Treadmill vs. Running outside

Which is better for youu? or are they the same?:tongue:

Replies

• cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    I don't know which is better but I know I prefer running outside because I can't run on a treadmill safely.
  • NBowes88
    NBowes88 Posts: 31 Member
    I don't know which one is better for you but I prefer running outside. When I run on the treadmill I tend to stop running but when I'm outside I keep going because I have to get back home somehow right? Getting some fresh air is nice too so I would pick running outside any day :)
  • RaeMe
    RaeMe Posts: 11
    The one that you will actually do is the one that is better for you! I've read that running outside burns more calories, but that doesn't matter if you won't do it. Personally I much prefer outside to the treadmill, but I know other people who are only motivated by the gym.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Whichever one you're able to do.
  • myfurturelooksgood
    myfurturelooksgood Posts: 30 Member
    I don't think there is a difference in benefit but I am an outdoor vote! Something happens when I am outside, in the fresh air, looking all around me-makes me feel humble and grateful that I have the strength to walk, two good legs to do it with, and the time to devote to myself.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    I LOVE running outside. It is my time to think and be by myself. Also, if you decide to do any 5K's or other races, you really need to get some of your running in outside - it is a lot different than running on a treadmill. Anyhoo, my vote it outside!! LOVE IT!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    According to my ortho surgeon - running inside on a treadmill or shock absorbent track is better for your joints because the base of the treadmill or the track absorb some of the shock - whereas outside your body has to deal with it. Because of steel rods in my spine, a bulging disc in my lower spine and a stress fracture in my right hip I can not run outside. Only on a treadmill or track.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    I have to treadmill. Running outside is boring. I can watch TV on the treadmill, plus there's a cup holder for my beer.
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    i prefer to be inside, watching tv :)
  • JohnnyStorm
    JohnnyStorm Posts: 43 Member
    The treadmill is easier on my knees and ankles than running on asphalt or concrete. I would rather run outside but do it sparingly because I definately feel it in my joints more.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Both are great...whichever works for you.

That being said, on a treadmill, you should set your incline to at least 1.0 to give you a flat road-like experience. (Treadmill beds tend to slope slightly downward...or so I'm told).
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I'm an outside runner.
  • Steem707
    Steem707 Posts: 9 Member
    When you run on a treadmill you don't have to push your body forward. Outside, you are pushing all of your weight. This makes it a little more involved than running on a treadmill. Either way, you'll get a good workout. Incline the treadmill for more of an outdoor experience.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    i just listened to a fat 2 fit podcast about this. Outdoors is more challenging becasue there is variations in the groud. Both are good for you it is just what you prefer.
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    I think running outside is great for the scenery and fresh air but due to issues with my hips and ankles I can't do the uneven terrain so I do a treadmill and watch tv to make the time pass easier.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Last year I started running and because I'm a natural swimmer not runner I did it almost exclusively inside so people couldnt look at me. Plus this is Minnesota and that was February. Thing is for a number of reasons, one of which I suspect is the exclusive treadmill running, I got a wicked IT band issue that kept me from my C25King. So I wasn't good at the race and was discouraged. Now, I'm running intervals for my 20 mins cardio 3 times a week outside but sometimes track, sometimes asphalt rarely concrete. I'm also lifting weights 3times a week.

Winter will come again and I still plan to run. Thinking how to extend the outside season but eventually it will be back inside with me.

My suggestion is to mix it up as much as you can between surfaces. And NEVER sacrifice strength training to get miles in. I think that was more the source of the injury than the surface but I'm gonna mix it up all I can.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Outside for me, treadmills make me sleepy, and hurt my knees.
  • I find running outside to be definitely challenging on the joints, but also more challenging just as a form of cardio. I can easily run 3 times as long on the treadmill as I can outside, and I'm fairly certain that I'm running more slowly when outside. The difference in my breathing and heart rate is HUGE. That being said, I've heard that running a lot in general is not the best form of cardio to choose, simply because it really is harsh on your body.
  • Most experts seem to recommend the treadmill if you are looking to reduce the impact on your joints.

When I first started running outside, I found it a lot harder than on the treadmill and I was a bit self-conscious about running in public. That said, I now much prefer running outside.

You'll get a good workout either way.
  • I don't know which one is better for you but I prefer running outside. When I run on the treadmill I tend to stop running but when I'm outside I keep going because I have to get back home somehow right? Getting some fresh air is nice too so I would pick running outside any day :)

I agree with this! I run in a 3.4 mile loop and I can't just quit halfway, unless I call someone for a ride home! I love being out in the sunshine in the morning and seeing other runners and waving and smiling at them, like I am part of a club. It makes for a great start to my day. The downside is that I cannot do it after dark, it just isnt safe to run alone, even in my safe neighborhood. I think when I run outside it is harder, the ground is not as even, there are hills up AND down and the temperature is not regulated like it is inside. I do enjoy just listening to my music and thinking, it is kind of like that thinking time you get in the shower where you mind wanders and solves all kinds of problems. The tv on the treadmill does not let me do that, and yet the treadmill is so boring that I need the tv to make it through.