How many calories ?

Options
If I am on a calorie diet of 1400 cal how many calories a day do I need to burn daily to lose weight ?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    It's easier to let MFP calculate an estimate of what you burn and then give you a calorie goal based on that, rather than picking a calorie goal first.

If MFP gave you that goal, it already includes the deficit you need for whatever pace you chose.

Having said that, a 250 calorie daily deficit will give you 0.5lbs per week, a 500 cal deficit 1 lb per week. So if you're eating 1400 cals, you'd need a TDEE of 1650 to lose 0.5lbs, and 1900 TDEE to lose 1 lb per week.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Did MFP give you 1400 calories when you set it up? If so, MFP has already put you in a deficit.

How much weight did you select to lose per week? If you set it at 2lb/week then MFP put you in a 1000 cal/day deficit. If you set it at 1.5lb/week then you are in a 750 cal/day deficit. If you set it at 1lb/week you are in 500 cal/day deficit. If you set it at 0.5lb/week then you are in a 250 cal/day deficit.

Just eat the amount of calories that MFP has given you and you will lose weight, providing you log accurately.

Also, log and eat back your exercise calories too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    dee3mom30 wrote: »
    If I am on a calorie diet of 1400 cal how many calories a day do I need to burn daily to lose weight ?

Before anyone can answer the question we would need to know your current age, height and weight, weekly loss goal, and your non-exercise activity level. When you plugged your stats into MFP, what did it give you as a calorie target?
  • dee3mom30
    dee3mom30 Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    MFP GAVE ME 1490 daily
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    What did you select for your Activity level? (Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active etc). What did you select as the rate you'd like to lose? How old are you, how tall and what's your current weight? MFP will have allocated 1490 based on the answers to those questions, particularly the rate you said you want to lose at. Therefore you should be eating 1490 calories a day. Plus, if you do any exercise over and above your chosen activity level, you should log that and eat those calories too.
  • dee3mom30
    dee3mom30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for your help I will reread the setup guide as well
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Also remember that the setup does what you tell it to do.

1.5 and 2lb a week loss rates are not suitable for all individuals. I almost wish MFP would default to 1lb...

I'd be happy if it would just give "suggestions" based on your current weight and goal weight. I know there are people out there averaging 2 pounds a week. As for me, I haven't averaged a pound a week in a loooong time! More like a pound a month.