Remaining Calories??

Options
Hello
I’m new round here or should I say I’ve finally decided to push myself and eat better

However I’m a little unsure how it works

My goal is 1340 calories today and I ate 1594 and exercise 311 which leaves me remaining with 57

Where do I go from here
Do I exercise more eat more
I’m very confused 🙈

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I’m new round here or should I say I’ve finally decided to push myself and eat better

However I’m a little unsure how it works

My goal is 1340 calories today and I ate 1594 and exercise 311 which leaves me remaining with 57

Where do I go from here
    Do I exercise more eat more
    I’m very confused 🙈

Yep, like @lynn_glenmont said, that's fine. You technically have 57 calories left you could eat. But leaving a few exercise calories like that on the table is good wiggle room in case the number is a little off.

Your MFP calorie goal is lower than you would get from most other places because it does not include exercise, it expects you to log exercise and eat back at least some of those calories. You can exercise more and eat more, or you can exercise less and eat less. Exercise is good for you in all sorts of ways, so assuming you're able to, in my mind it's a win to exercise more (because fitness & health) and eat more (because food is yummy).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    In my opinion neither. Just next time try you're best to stay within you're calorie bracket. You don't want to eat back what you have burned in excersicing. I never understood that one. Haha Good luck! I hope this helps.

That is not how MFP works. This app is designed to help people lose weight in a healthy and sustainable manner. Part of doing that is to not undereat. Since the calculation MFP uses does not account for deliberate exercise, you are intended to eat back exercise calories in order to avoid undereating and associated negative health consequences.

OP this was your day based on the numbers above:
    MFP calorie goal: 1340
    Exercise: 311
    Total calorie allowance for the day = 1340+311=1651
    You ate: 1594
    Net calories = 1651-1594=57 calories remaining

This means you could eat 57 calories more and still be within your calorie goal.

Having said that, many people find exercise calorie burn estimates to be inflated and that eating back only 50-75% of those calories is what keeps them on track. You will just have to find what works for you through trial and error.