Hypertrophy & Strength building

Options
I think I understand the basics of hypertrophy training (low - moderated weight, increased reps with shorter rest periods in between each set) and strength training (heavy weight, lower reps and longer rest periods). I’m looking to up my game a little bit. I was just wondering if it was a good idea to combine strength and hypertrophy training or is that too much of a overload? Should I split the 2 and do each on seperate days?

What do you guys think? Just looking for ideas 🙂

Replies

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    So Chieflrg, how could we get more info about your templates? Thanks,
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I would just find a good beginner program that suits your goals. Here's a link to a great post on choosing a training program that's right for you and your goals:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »

You giving it away for free, @chieflrg? :D

I was thinking maybe he'd send a link to his online catalog- so I can shop and input my credit card number.

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

You giving it away for free, @chieflrg? :D

I was thinking maybe he'd send a link to his online catalog- so I can shop and input my credit card number.

IF HE WON'T, I WILL... haha.
  • Morningstar25
    Morningstar25 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if a days rest on push ups is good or should I do them everyday?
  • MT1134
    Options
    Does anyone know if a days rest on push ups is good or should I do them everyday?

All depends on what you're trying to accomplish, how much you're currently doing, how you're recovering, and so on. Post your goals and what you're currently doing so that we can know a bit more before offering advice to you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Typically, you should never keep working the same muscle group everyday. The gains in strength and muscle growth come during the rest phase not the work phase. Do them every 2nd or 3rd day and so something else using a different muscle group on the other days.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Alia_R wrote: »
    I think I understand the basics of hypertrophy training (low - moderated weight, increased reps with shorter rest periods in between each set) and strength training (heavy weight, lower reps and longer rest periods). I’m looking to up my game a little bit. I was just wondering if it was a good idea to combine strength and hypertrophy training or is that too much of a overload? Should I split the 2 and do each on seperate days?

A couple of things, the rest between sets is not necessarily different for strength and hypertrophy. It depends on the structure of the program. If you are not supersetting (alternating 2 different exercises that don't work the exact same muscles the same way) shorter rest, say 1 minute, is fine. If you are lifting for either strength or hypertrophy without super setting, 2 minutes is recommended from what I have read and heard listening to Dr. Eric Helms and Dr. Mike Israetel, 2 of the foremost experts on muscle building.

I totally agree with chieflrg that a good program will incorporate both strength and hypertrophy as the build off each other. Typically, they will be done on different days.
  • MT1134
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Typically, you should never keep working the same muscle group everyday. The gains in strength and muscle growth come during the rest phase not the work phase. Do them every 2nd or 3rd day and so something else using a different muscle group on the other days.

Typically? So in what cases would it be acceptable to break these typical rules?

Most professional athletes work the same muscle groups everyday as it's part of their job and they are performing at world class levels. I think it's hard to prescribe any type of advice at all without knowing the training experience and their goals.
  • MT1134
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Alia_R wrote: »

A couple of things, the rest between sets is not necessarily different for strength and hypertrophy. It depends on the structure of the program. If you are not supersetting (alternating 2 different exercises that don't work the exact same muscles the same way) shorter rest, say 1 minute, is fine. If you are lifting for either strength or hypertrophy without super setting, 2 minutes is recommended from what I have read and heard listening to Dr. Eric Helms and Dr. Mike Israetel, 2 of the foremost experts on muscle building.

I totally agree with chieflrg that a good program will incorporate both strength and hypertrophy as the build off each other. Typically, they will be done on different days.

The rest between sets depending on the goal is absolutely different. If you think any major player in the powerlifting game is pulling (for example - 950 pounds for a 1000 pound deadlift max) a 95% 1rm deadlift every two minutes because that's all it takes to recover, you're out of your mind. Heavy strength training can tax the neurological system like no other.

Having strength and hypertrophy in a program can be great things. However, it's not necessary to train them both in a given session. That's why it's a program. It has phases with a major focus for the program.

We know beginner lifters often don't have the neurological capacity to get and stay tight during a heavy lift which is why they are prescribed with repetitive efforts at lighter loads to gain that neurological capacity and skill.

Most beginner lifters can actually benefit greatly from adding muscle to their frame before going into pure strength work because 1)mass moves mass and 2) they gain repetitions, learning to handle the weight properly before getting under a heavy load.

All of this depends on your goals and training background just like all other intelligently designed programs.