Total Calories or Net??

Options
Which are you supposed to go by??

Total Calories or Net Calories??

Replies

• symonhughes88
    symonhughes88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Calories burned to calories consumed, total is more valuable......
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The calories you burn with exercise aren't any different from any of the other calories you burn. Do you eat your weekend calories? Then eat your exercise calories too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Net because you are trying to manage your calorie balance not just your intake.

Why wouldn't you use the tool you selected in the way it was designed OP?
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

A little harsh, especially when you read the responses above yours.....
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OooohToast wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

A little harsh, especially when you read the responses above yours.....

@OooohToast

You are reading tone into plain text - there is no harshness at all. I've answered the OP's question (you didn't! :)) and asked a question.

There may be an unstated and valid reason OP wants to use MFP differently, it might just be confusion that MFP works differently to TDEE sites. Without knowing OP's thoughts there's no way of knowing hence explaining what this tool is trying to do - manage the overall calorie balance.

I could have given the example of my 2,424 cal exercise yesterday as to why to use net not gross but the chances of OP also being a long distance cyclist are slim and would be irrelevant and unlikely to resonate (profile is completely blank so no clues).