Finding time

Eamon32
Eamon32 Posts: 13 Member
It's hard trying to log everything all the time, if I don't log it straight away I find I forget or don't log it accurately, just starting out again after piling on weight over the past six years, I am a stay at home dad of my two gorgeoy birth children but I also foster another two gorgeous kids. Probably like most parents the kids came my fitness lifestyle went out the window it's only now I am trying to claw it back.

Replies

• TurnThePage55
    TurnThePage55 Posts: 16 Member
    I find it helpful if I can plan my meals for the day and log it all in the morning. That way, I don't forget to log and it makes it easier to not add any little nips and bites along the way.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    If I have meal prepped and know what i'm eating, I pre-log. Right now I know what I had for breakfast and what I'm having for lunch, so those are logged already.

Agree with TurnthePage55, it keeps me from sneaking snacks when I already know how many calories I'm committed to with meals.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited July 2019
    Try pre-logging, that way you just need to remember to adjust it if anything changes and set a reminder in your phone to update it at the end of the day.

As you log more regularly, more of the foods you regularly use will be in the Recent Foods. If you make things from scratch, use the recipe builder and you can save yourself from adding things ingredient by ingredient.

It only takes a couple of minutes out of your day to log, you've 1440 minutes in a day and this is an opportunity to improve your health and wellbeing, not only for you but for those kids. So it's worth putting a couple of minutes aside, so you can be your healthiest self, not only for you but for them too.

You don't need a fitness lifestyle to stay in shape, you just need to eat a little better and be a little more active and with 4 kids around, you shouldn't have any trouble with the latter :-)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    pre-logging for the win. Before bed each night I pre-log for the next day as much as possible, which for me is usually about 90%. I find it also forces the "what should we do for dinner?" conversation with my wife earlier than it used to, allowing us to set frozen proteins out to defrost, plan to stop by the grocery on the way home or at lunch rather than flying by the seat of our pants so much. For things that need weighing I'll either pick the weight ahead of time (like protein powder) and make sure I hit that weight, or will ballpark and fill in based on actual weight (like for chicken, pork, or beef, right before cooking).
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    I use the laptop at home and smart phone app when away. Works for me......
  • FitAddiction9
    FitAddiction9 Posts: 494 Member
    No excuses. Let’s gooooo. How bad do you want to see the results and take care of your health. Let’s goooo.
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    I keep a notebook in the kitchen by my scale. I weigh and log everything in the notebook while I'm making the food, and then add it to MFP once I have a couple of minutes to do so. I find that I am able to enjoy my food more when I'm not trying to look everything up while I'm preparing it.
  • Lynn_091819
    Lynn_091819 Posts: 45 Member
    Welcome to MFP! If MFP taught me anything, it's that the logging daily is what made me successful. The day I let life's stresses keep me from logging, became 2...then three, then a month, etc. You get out of this what you put into it. You can do this! You just gotta DO IT. 🙂
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I agree ore logging is best but it's hard sometimes. Maybe if you can't get on to log straight away just make a note somewhere of what you ate. I'm a stay at home mom and while it seems like it would be easy to log stuff right away often you're just pulled in 42 opposite directions and you lose track it's easy.

Not sure how old your kids are but getting out and being active with them is awesome. Burns some calories. Sometimes you've just got to make time for yourself to get some exercise in.
  • Eamon32
    Eamon32 Posts: 13 Member
    I like the ideas, I will put my note book beside my cooker in the kitchen as you all say we are all in the same boat and if I want it I will do it no mater what ☺️ thanks guys