cutting crust off bread to save calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you really want to be able to enjoy a low calorie diet, eat lentils, salads with balsamic vinegar, egg whites, not meat, granola sans sugar, oatmeal, brown rice, miso soup, etc. I eat under 1000 calories a day and I run and I feel great and satisfied. When I need dessert, I eat a nutrigrain bar which is only 120 calories. Similarly, pickles have zero calories. Less processed food=fewer calories honestly. And if you want to lose weight, I suggest going vegan+seafood if you are athletic or just vegan if you aren't. There is a reason that fat vegan people are rare. If you want more suggestions, just message me or reply to this, etc.

Aside from resurrecting a super-zombie thread... :huh:

how exactly can one be vegan+seafood? That is technically a pescatarian. :huh: :huh:
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    edit
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I said this on another thread but my grandfather always said that the nutrition was in the crust. Don't know how accurate that is but if you don't like crust maybe you should try some other kinds of bread. It might be fun to experiment.

Do they use different dough for the crust?

is there something about the baking process that makes the crush inherently more "nutritious"??

Have I been baking bread wrong all these years?
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sh.. isn't that serious. Eat the dang bread people. Train hard and it won't matter. People make this way too hard.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Think of all the calories you'd expend cutting the crust off.
  • ItzAlex76
    ItzAlex76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had two slices of bread, weighing 73g together. When I cut the crust off the crust weighed 36g. So that means the total bread weight leftover was 37g. Is that what I count for calories? Would it be accurate to say the crust has more calories in it since it weighs more?

in this bread 1g= 2.27 calories
    If the crust weighs 36g and there are 2.27 calories per g then you know how many calories are in the crust... what was the question again?

The question was if there is more calories in the crust than the rest of the bread and I think there is but not a huge amount and it also depends on who’s making it because sometimes when you buy bread in shops, they put butter on the crust therefore more calories, just not a lot, and plus it’s optional, so if you just make it at home and you don’t put butter on the outside than the calories would be the same as the rest of the bread.

• Aalps
    Aalps Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love a pie. I have wondered about getting a pie, eating the inside then throwing away the pastry. This would save a whole load of calories.

Then I realised my life would be worthless, so on days when I have cycled, walked a lot and had a game of netball I eat a pie. A whole pie (usually chicken and mushroom for anyone who is interested) and my life is just brilliant. No guilt, within goals and a big smile on my face. Nobody should ruin my pie day <3
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have the crust and cut the bread part out. The crust is the best part IMHO. ;)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ItzAlex76 wrote: »
    I had two slices of bread, weighing 73g together. When I cut the crust off the crust weighed 36g. So that means the total bread weight leftover was 37g. Is that what I count for calories? Would it be accurate to say the crust has more calories in it since it weighs more?

If the crust weighs 36g and there are 2.27 calories per g then you know how many calories are in the crust... what was the question again?

The question was if there is more calories in the crust than the rest of the bread
    and I think there is but not a huge amount and it also depends on who’s making it because sometimes when you buy bread in shops, they put butter on the crust therefore more calories, just not a lot, and plus it’s optional, so if you just make it at home and you don’t put butter on the outside than the calories would be the same as the rest of the bread.

The question was also asked 6 years ago. ;)

Meh, insignificant details!
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Aalps wrote: »
    I love a pie. I have wondered about getting a pie, eating the inside then throwing away the pastry. This would save a whole load of calories.

Then I realised my life would be worthless, so on days when I have cycled, walked a lot and had a game of netball I eat a pie. A whole pie (usually chicken and mushroom for anyone who is interested) and my life is just brilliant. No guilt, within goals and a big smile on my face. Nobody should ruin my pie day <3

This is me actually as I love pasties but dont like pastry that much. I wish I could just buy pasty filling and eat it with a spoon. I particularly hate the crimped edge, which was never meant to be eaten anyway, just thrown to the knockers to keep the bad spirits at bay!
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Necro'd, but since other people read this: That's a lot of work to save like 50 calories. Easier to just shave off a scoop of sugar in your coffee than to perform surgery on your food.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    eelane wrote: »

If you like bread enough to fit it into your meal plans, just eat it. You're going to stress yourself out ripping it apart.

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. ❤
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Deleted because I don't want zombies coming to eat my brains. Or my crusts. Or cutting the crusts off my bread and just leaving the crusts.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Deleted because I don't want zombies coming to eat my brains. Or my crusts. Or cutting the crusts off my bread and just leaving the crusts.

Or they might cut the crust off your brain. I hate when that happens. 😬