Snacking problem

Options
I go to the gym 3 times a week and spend 45 - 60 mins mainly on cardio but I also do legs, bums and tums once a week. However, I'm struggling so much with my diet so I've actually gained weight. I keep snacking on biscuits and cakes. How can I reduce these cravings and improve my diet?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    When I get sufficient calories, protein, sleep, and exercise, I don't feel the need to snack.

Quite possibly your issue lies in one of these areas?
    1. What's your protein goal and do you hit it regularly?
    2. How many pounds do you need to lose total and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?
    3. What percentage of the calories you earn from exercise do you eat back?
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yep. That was me!

Working out would lead to increased appetite which would lead to overeating which would wipe out any calories that I'd burned in the gym and then some. Wasn't until I stopped working out that I was able to get my calories under-control and start to regularly lose weight.

Biggest lesson I learned is that weight loss happens in the kitchen and fitness happens in the gym. So there was no point trying to get fit (working out) if it was sabotaging my main goal of weight loss (calorie intake).
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving chocolate, a radish isn't going to cut it.

I allow myself 200-300 calories for dessert every night. Usually ice cream, Halo Top, or chocolate. I weigh it and log it. As long as I stick to my calorie target, weight loss will follow.

You could dip the radish in chocolate?! Now I've said that...it sounds so good I might try it! I like radishes and I like chocolate...hmmm...
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fiber one brownies? 90 cals and really chocolatey! Or emerald 100-cal cocoa roast almonds? I used to have one of these with an iced coffee or diet soda in the afternoon as a snack to fill that chocolate/seeet craving.

X2. I haven't had these in a long time but they are very good!
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    trbp72 wrote: »

I allow myself 200-300 calories for dessert every night. Usually ice cream, Halo Top, or chocolate. I weigh it and log it. As long as I stick to my calorie target, weight loss will follow.

You could dip the radish in chocolate?! Now I've said that...it sounds so good I might try it! I like radishes and I like chocolate...hmmm...

:sick:
    I just threw up a little bit at that thought...

MFP read needs to add an LMAO reaction. Lol
  • PickledBeets8
    PickledBeets8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lashuntae wrote: »
    I go to the gym 3 times a week and spend 45 - 60 mins mainly on cardio but I also do legs, bums and tums once a week. However, I'm struggling so much with my diet so I've actually gained weight. I keep snacking on biscuits and cakes. How can I reduce these cravings and improve my diet?

Is your struggle with food limited to after you've worked out, or are you struggling all of the time? Are you trying to lose weight or maintain your weight? Are you weighing and logging everything you eat/drink?

It sounds like your snacking is making you unhappy and it seems as if you don't feel like you are totally in control of your behavior. I think figuring out what function your snacking behavior is serving for you will help you develop strategies to stay in control and make choices you don't later regret.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I'm the same as you. I don't think a radish would any way satisfy my cravings. I just factor in all the sweets I like into my calorie budget. This week I've had ice cream, brownies, tim tams and a variety of chocolates and biscuits ...
    Just make sure I do extra exercise to increase my calorie budget ... I'd much rather have them than crave or eat a substitute that doesn't hit the spot ...