Vegetarian Dinner!!

Options
i need a recipe for a healthy, filling, vegetarian, dinner, that doesn't take hours to make!!! Any Suggestions?? (:

Replies

• SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    Have you checked your library and their section of cookbooks for vegetarian dinners?.. Just askin´...
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When I need filling I definitely start with beans! They fill me up and I stay full a good while :) Check out www.allrecipes.com for specific things you like - they have tons of good recipes. I do bean/rice/veggies in a tortilla, "naked burritos", omelet with black beans and Mexican-style fixings...otherwise I head straight for a veggie burger and that does the trick. I prefer Boca (it's soy) burgers, but the nutritional info on them saddens me :( But I do LOVE them once a week or so!! I'll post more as I think of them.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian enchiladas? My dad makes them, they're soooo filling.
    Wholemeal plain tortilla wrap with plain salsa, kidney beans, tomato, mushroom, red and yellow peppers & any spices you want to add. Mix all together, fill the tortilla wrap and put in the oven for about 5-10 minutes :-)

You can even grate some cheese on the top and let it melt if you want!

About 200 calories without the cheese, and depending on what cheese you use, the calories can vary.
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you like quinoa and black beans, this is a really good recipe.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/Detail.aspx

I usually find really good vegetarian recipes at allrecipes.com.
  • backwardslant
    backwardslant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Also try checking vegweb.com. It's like allrecipes but strictly for vegans/vegetarians, and there are TONS of recipes on there. You can even search by a specific ingredient if you have something on hand you are thinking about. Good luck!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian, but I do tend to eat a primarily lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, and convenience foods are a must!

Beans and rice (w/ reduced sodium canned beans and Birdseye Steamers rice)
    Cheese-stuffed ravioli and pasta sauce with salad (pre-made pasta from the refrigerated section and sauce in a jar)
    Veggie burgers (Morningstar Griller's Prime) and salad
    Stir-fry (frozen Asian-inspired veggie blend and chunked tofu)
    Stuffed portabellos http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=61963 (get the veggies pre-chopped)
    Taco salad (reduced sodium canned black beans, a little Mrs. Dash Fiesta lime)

and if all else fails... Buy an Amy's pizza and throw it in the oven!
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am disappointed by most Vegetarian cookbooks personally...What kind of vegetarian are you? Eggs and Milk okay? I know some good one's either way.

Baked Falafels [link]http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1188789[/link]
    Spinach Daal takes a while to cook, but pretty cheap and easy and reheats well [link]http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=29555[/link]
    Stirfried frozen green beans [link]http://www.cookography.com/2007/speed-beans-sauteed-frozen-green-beans[/link]

um...kind of misc. but I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

Tacos with Morningstar farmers meal starters"grillers" crumbs instead of beef?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    Vegetarian enchiladas? My dad makes them, they're soooo filling.
    Wholemeal plain tortilla wrap with plain salsa, kidney beans, tomato, mushroom, red and yellow peppers & any spices you want to add. Mix all together, fill the tortilla wrap and put in the oven for about 5-10 minutes :-)

You can even grate some cheese on the top and let it melt if you want!

About 200 calories without the cheese, and depending on what cheese you use, the calories can vary.

OMG... I must make this!
  • bluestheart
    Options
    Pasta (your favorite kind, we like angel hair and penne around here) and a veggie tomato sauce:

1-2 Cans of Hunts tomato sauce (Depending on if you want a thick sauce or a runny sauce)
    1 Can Hunts diced tomatoes
    Yellow squash
    Zucchini
    Bell peppers
    Onions

Cut your veggies and either steam them or saute them in some extra virgin olive oil. When they are cooked to your liking, add in the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Season with minced garlic or garlic powder (I use both!) Basil, Oregano, Ground Peppercorn, a touch of salt if you must have it (I don't use any) and I also like to use a bit of chili powder. You can use any kind of seasonings you want, and voila - you have veggie pasta primavera!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    And one more thing... Make friends with a crock pot. There's no better way to cook beans. A bag of dried beans is, what, $1/lb? Follow the directions on the bag for soaking, etc. and let them cook on low all day. I'm only cooking them for myself, but a bag will last me, like, a couple of weeks! They freeze well, too. I say use reduced sodium canned beans, but this is cheaper, healthier, etc.
  • AliV91
    AliV91 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Take soft tofu, smash it up, add in diced veggies. I usually use carrots, celery, onion, scallions, cucumbers, and pickles. I've had it with broccoli and cauliflower. Add mustard, soy sauce, garlic , sunflower seeds and reduced calorie mayo. Mix well. Serve as sandwiches on whole grain bread or use as a dip for chips. The mayo and sunflower seeds are high in fat, so go easy on them. Be responsible with what you dip or spread it on and you'll have a very filling healthy dish. I served this to a group of carnivores and they liked the bowl!:wink:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    Take soft tofu, smash it up, add in diced veggies. I usually use carrots, celery, onion, scallions, cucumbers, and pickles. I've had it with broccoli and cauliflower. Add mustard, soy sauce, garlic , sunflower seeds and reduced calorie mayo. Mix well. Serve as sandwiches on whole grain bread or use as a dip for chips. The mayo and sunflower seeds are high in fat, so go easy on them. Be responsible with what you dip or spread it on and you'll have a very filling healthy dish. I served this to a group of carnivores and they liked the bowl!:wink:

Kraft olive oil mayo! 1Tbsp of that and 1Tbsp of sunflower seeds ~ 100cals.
  • 1965blaze
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: anything without meat is a veg dinner i sometimes have a bocca burrito with homemade salsa
  • aniles12
    aniles12 Posts: 15
    Options
    i've been a vegetarian for 11 years so i've had a lot of the veggie dogs, burgers, ground "beef", etc., i was soooo sad to see that they were not as healthy as i had hoped..thanks for the tips! much appreciated! (:
  • aniles12
    Options
    i have, but they all call for dinners for the whole family, and right now my family doesn't really know im on a health kick, i just need more of a single person meal. but i could defiantly divide it down. i'll check some out. thanks.
  • aniles12
    Options
    sounds great..i'll totally try them! thanks! :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Make something with canned beans. Beans and rice (instant brown rice). Bean burritoes (salsa, cheese, pinto/black beans, onion, jalapeno in a low carb wrap), bean soups, whatever.
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made my version of 'fried rice'. Made some 'instant' brown rice, scrambled one egg and cut it up, stir fried some onions, peppers, carrots and frozen broccoli in a tablespoon of olive oil, threw it all together along with some soy sauce...it was yummy and an enormous amount of food for not that many calories. Really didn't take any time at all.
  • aniles12
    Options
    i've tried all of those and love all of them...you always forget things when you're thinking too hard about it. haha
  • aniles12
    Options
    I do eat eggs and milk, but no seafood, and no meat! thanks for the recipes!