Dogs and bikes

2»

Replies

• keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    keithwp99 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Glad you are ok. Dogs make me very nervous on the bike. Even leashed doggies can get tangled up with a bike. “Oh he’s friendly” the owner assures you. Sorry poochie, I don’t want a friendly dog anywhere near me and my bike. 🐶

owner: "Don't worry, my dog is friendly."

me: " I worry.... and your dog has teeth."

Yep. In the same vein, "I don't know you or your dog and don't want to either."

Both QFT. I used to like dogs, but I live in a part of the US where that are revered-to the point of bringing them EVERYWHERE, including the grocery store. I was bitten on a trail run by a dog on a leash. I see so many unleashed dogs on the trail, and it’s too hard to police the owners. This is America-do what you want. Those rules aren’t for my dog.

I could go on and on... 🙄

Wierd, huh?! I never see rangers up on the trails. Never. They sit in their SUV at the trail heads. They wont go after the bums who camp out in the Parks let alone some one with an off leash dog.

I see more people with dogs in my local safeway and costco too. Seems like half. Seems odd to have dogs around open food stuffs.

When I've complained, I just get the stare...
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    It was smart of you to go back in your car and ask about the rabies shot! Whenever I’m chased by a dog on my bike, I stop and start talking to the dog in a soft friendly voice, let it sniff the back of my hand, and wait for the owner, or for the dog to become uninterested. I’ve made friends with a few pooches on my route. I’m just glad I haven’t run into a dog this doesn’t work on!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i was really impressed that i was walking my dog and a kid hopped off his bike and walked slowly past my dog. i don't expect everyone to do it but i thought it was thoughtful. i said i appreciated it.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Pepper spray...I carry it when biking or walking in our local forest preserves to protect against aggressive dogs and people. I have not had to use it, and hope I never have to, but at least it gives me some defense if charged by a crazy dog/person.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Glad you are ok. Dogs make me very nervous on the bike. Even leashed doggies can get tangled up with a bike. “Oh he’s friendly” the owner assures you. Sorry poochie, I don’t want a friendly dog anywhere near me and my bike. 🐶

owner: "Don't worry, my dog is friendly."

me: " I worry.... and your dog has teeth."

me: "that doesn't mean your unleashed dogs won't run straight into my path with no warning" They don't want a dog or two to be run over by a bike and I don't want to crash and break a bone.