Where am I going wrong?

Options
Stats - Female, 30, small framed, height 164cm
Current - 128lb (in morning)
Goal - 112lb (been this weight all my adult life until pregnancy)

I’m measuring, weighing, logging & pretty much eating the ‘correct’ amount of food groups according to MFP. I make healthy filling choices eg porridge, skim milk, lean meats/fish, berries, lots of veg, almonds/avocado, low fat Greek yog

I do 1 x 30 min jog, 1 x 30 min walk & 1 lifts (30 min). Other than that I’m sedentary (drive lots, desk job all week). I really have to force myself to do this exercise & I hate it.

My questions are:
1. What should my calories & macros be, is MFP always really accurate?
2. Why am I always hungry & thinking about food (is it genuine hunger or is it just poor willpower)
3. Why am I maintaining?Despite following the plan?

I’d like to lose 1lb per week, but any loss would be worth the effort!

Belly fat/mid section is where I’m carrying most weight following pregnancies.

Thanks

Replies

• Iwanttobetheoldme
    Iwanttobetheoldme Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! Yes I use electronic scales & weigh in grams. I enter everything truthfully. I find that by dinner time I’m ‘running out’ of calories.

Problem is I seem to crave sugar, I’ve cut a lot of chocolate out, and now have got my taste buds used to a 25g of 85% dark chocolate. If I eat say fruit & yoghurt or something sweet to help the craving, I still keep thinking about that chocolate and end up giving in (which then results in more calories as I’ve had extra foods I didn’t really want!) so I figured just have it? This comes in at 150cal, with 13g fat, 5 carbs, 4 sugar. Is this my problem?

One app suggested 1216 calories, another 1350, and another 1400! So not sure exactly where I should be at. I’ve been at 1350 for the past 3 months which has worked, but the past 3 weeks I’ve just maintained?

Sorry, forgot to say I’ve lost 7lb over 3 months.

I know it doesn’t sound like much weight, but it is to my frame if that makes sense? None of my old clothes fit. I’m due back to work & don’t want to ask for a bigger uniform!

Perhaps I’ve got confused over macros too, I always aim to fulfill them. So if I’ve not had much fat I’ll add almonds, walnuts or avocado to my meal (but of course then the calories go up!)

Separate question, but how can I get more iron in my diet? I eat spinach every day & have skim milk & lean meats. I’m getting about 8%!

Thanks for the guidance
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    Thanks! Pre logging is a good idea :)

I think getting up with the baby during the night has some affect on my appetite too? As I’m tired & crave sugar.

Second time baby weight is really hard to shift! I lost it all without even thinking after my first baby.

Do you think it’s ok to keep the chocolate in? How could I get more iron?

I totally get I’m not huge, but for my frame I’m out of shape. And have a lot of belly fat! And can’t afford a new wardrobe! ;)
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My initiative is to always be patient with myself, to be kind to myself and forgive myself for frustrations. The more you try and cut out or try and be a martyr, the more likely you won't be able to keep at it. Find what works for you and stick with it, it's a marathon and little changes over time make the biggest differences. Be well!
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    Thanks Panini - that is music to my ears!

I used to gag at dark chocolate so I’ve come a long way too ;) but I still can’t have biscuits & kinder bueno in the cupboard - I can’t be trusted!

With a diet break, do you just eat healthily? Or just add treats? Don’t want to undo it!

I eat 2 x fish or meat every day, but only get around 8g of iron? MFP says I need 100g?!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you have your baby? Are you breastfeeding?
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    Nearly 9 months, no BF. Been tracking for 3 months. Had a junk food/sugary diet previously.

Tried a few more online calculators, averaging at:

1230 calories, or 1420 on exercise days. Yikes! 35 carb/35 protein/30 fat macro %
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Nearly 9 months, no BF. Been tracking for 3 months. Had a junk food/sugary diet previously.

1230 calories, or 1420 on exercise days. Yikes! 35 carb/35 protein/30 fat macro %

If you have been doing this for 3 months you start going by your own numbers not online calculators. If you need help with that let us know.

Are you saying "Yikes!" at the macro split? I think that is the same one I use.

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Perhaps I’ve got confused over macros too, I always aim to fulfill them. So if I’ve not had much fat I’ll add almonds, walnuts or avocado to my meal (but of course then the calories go up!)

Calories and your macros should tie out. If everything is being inputted correctly, there shouldn't be much of a difference in your calorie goal and your macro goal.

I would just stick with it. You're losing about 0.5/week which is pretty solid for your size. Generally a good rule of thumb is 1% of your BW to be a slightly aggressive weight loss and 0.5% of your body weight would be a safer and more maintainable weight loss. So losing at 0.5lb per week for you is not bad, its solid.

How long have you been stuck at your current weight?

• Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

If you have been doing this for 3 months you start going by your own numbers not online calculators. If you need help with that let us know.

Are you saying "Yikes!" at the macro split? I think that is the same one I use.

Thanks, what do you mean do by my own numbers? I’m saying yikes to the 1230 calories :neutral: I’m at 1350ish a day at the moment & struggle with that. Not sure how to cut more. So many different calculators give me different ratios, but all around the same calories
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    remember different calculators may use different numbers.

MFP gives you the calories to eat assuming NO exercise. so you'd eat back a reasonable estimate of the calories burned during your workout. Make sure to select 0.5lb/week rate of loss and an accurate activity level (few people are actually sedentary)
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Also worth bearing in mind that a lot of entries don't have full nutritional info added. So even though the calories may be correct, they may just not have their iron content listed as it's another number someone needed to add.