How to NOT hate exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    How does anyone hate hiking? Did somebody bring you on a steep and nasty trail for your first time? Maybe try an easier trail with a big payoff?

I love hiking. I would never call it fun, and the enjoyable part isn't sweating up a hill being bit by flies and mosquitoes, that's stuff I put up with for the views and the time with nature.

I loathe hiking because it involves the two things I find most uncomfortable and exhausting: walking and being outside.

I only go for walks because the alternative is leg pain and swollen feet and that sucks more. Often when we go for a walk, we go to the mall and walk there because it's air conditioned and I won't get bit, stung or sunburned. I'm terrified of sunburn.

More to the point, OP, have you tried video games? I know some people who love Wii Fit still, or DDR. I play virtual reality games. Burns lots of calories dodging bullets or punching things. But it's not exercise, I don't do it to exercise, I play because I like games and getting high scores and I don't have to be around people.

There is a reason they make sunblock and UPF clothing. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Earlier this year I was obsessed with laser tag. Even if you've tried many activities, there are still loads of others to try. Do you like window shopping? Have you tried Pokemon Go or some more involved activities like planned treasure hunts? That's walking and walking is exercise. I actually did "Zombies! Run" without running, because I was not fit enough to run, I just walked. It was interesting!

If you decide you're done trying new activities, you could try linking something you like to the activity you hate the least. For example, I dedicate the most exciting audio books to "only while walking", so I walk in order to enjoy them and it becomes more about the audio book than the walking, deflecting the point of focus (since you're mentally resistant to the idea of exercise, making it about something else may help).

The other option is to do it because you need to do it regardless if you like it or not. Pick the activity you hate the least and force yourself to do it on a schedule without a fail. Even if you don't like something, if you do it often enough and consistently enough, it becomes a habit. You may not ever enjoy it, but you'll feel like something is missing if you skip a day for some reason and that feeling will be more annoying than the activity itself. That's how I deal with strength training because without it I get injured so I need to do it even though I hate every second of it. Although I do enjoy some of the activities I do, I do most of it in order to eat more, otherwise, I would do it less often. I love food, so it's a great motivator because if I don't move I don't get to eat the way I like to eat. Maybe there is a goal that is important to you and you're willing to feel discomfort in order to achieve it?

If you're not willing to do that, you could simply be active throughout the day. Don't delegate chores, do them yourself. Walk around the house when you're on the phone or waiting for coffee. Fold laundry in another room and make several trips to put it away...etc. That's physical activity too. I'm the designated garbage person in the house, for example.

If, in the end, you decide you don't really want to exercise, that's a choice to make too. If you understand that it may mean being unfit and are okay with that, then it's okay to make that choice.

If you still want to pursue this, maybe if you tell us what exactly you hate about physical activity, and what activities do you really enjoy, then maybe there will be better suggestions.
  • talhonjik
    talhonjik Posts: 440 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi - I just wanted to say thanks SO much for all the replies. I really appreciate it!

There were questions about what I dislike about exercise, and what my goals are - what I dislike is mostly the physical pain and discomfort. For cardio, it’s being out of breath (lungs burning/heart pounding), too hot and muscles burning; and for strength stuff it’s the muscle pain, that painful feeling like your muscles might snap or cramp or something. Then there’s the aftereffects - feeling tired and groggy for ages afterwards, and your body aching. As far as I can tell, that’s just what any exercise feels like; I walk to work and back every day, and I get those same unpleasant sensations from that walk (although of course far less than from other exercise).

As for what my goals are - I’d love to say they are primarily to be physically fit and healthy in order to have a long life without health problems, and of course I do want that too - but if I’m honest, what really drives me is the idea of not being overweight and being able to look the way I want to in clothes I want to wear. It sounds shallow, but that’s the way it is.

It’s a great idea to push through the painful, horrible part of exercise by doing it repeatedly until it gets less awful - it’s just proved really hard for me to dig up the motivation to do something regularly for months that I’m REALLY not enjoying. A few years ago I tried to do that with swimming, which I kind of hate the least; I made it through several months of swimming 2-3 times a week, but it never seemed to get any less unpleasant or hard and eventually I (possibly unwisely) gave up. Hence why I was wondering if there was a trick to learning to hate it less, which might get me through the difficult months.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say you are not alone...I can't imagine anyone LIKING exc.
    I hate it...everything about it..LOL..being sore...sweating....As I have seen my mom and family members get older and have health issues etc...I want to exc to keep my body and mind strong...I just keep that in the back of my mind

kim
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    With new details, possible alternatives/suggestions to improve the workout itself:

"For cardio, it’s being out of breath (lungs burning/heart pounding)" : I get like this too at the gym and I hate it. I don't know about you, but I find my sinuses burn, didn't even realize that was a thing that could feel! The way I get around this at home is, I do less intense workouts. On my own I go at my own speed to workout videos, have not had a breathing problem. At the gym, I'm learning to take breaks when I need them, not judge by when others are breaking around me. And if I take a break for breath, I slowly walk in place until my breathing is under my conscious control again (can breathe deep and controlled), before trying the next station.

"for strength stuff it’s the muscle pain, that painful feeling like your muscles might snap or cramp or something": What kind of weights are you doing, because from the sound of it you are trying too heavy from the start. I do the majority of my strength through youtube workout videos, with handweights. My strength is progressing slower than some, but my limbs never feel like they are going to break/strained something. The way it was explained to me is that you should be able to keep good form, rest as soon as you can't. If you get through the max number of reps without struggling, try a heavier set next time. It has been slightly more than a year and I am only just starting to do floor pushups (on knees, not many in a row), and I only just hit 10 lb weights.

Also, a different suggestion. My hubby hates exercise because he doesn't want to take time away from hobbies to work on strength. His solution was to rig up a stationary bike in front of the tv and he plays video games while cycling. It helps him zone out from thinking of the muscle movement and fatigue, and he still gets to do his games =) Obviously he is only doing cardio and not working upper body, but any movement is a win.

Not sure if this will help, just answering from personal experience from my couch 2 fit journey.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    talhonjik wrote: »
    Hi - I just wanted to say thanks SO much for all the replies. I really appreciate it!

There were questions about what I dislike about exercise, and what my goals are - what I dislike is mostly the physical pain and discomfort. For cardio, it’s being out of breath (lungs burning/heart pounding), too hot and muscles burning; and for strength stuff it’s the muscle pain, that painful feeling like your muscles might snap or cramp or something. Then there’s the aftereffects - feeling tired and groggy for ages afterwards, and your body aching. As far as I can tell, that’s just what any exercise feels like;

What kind of cardio? You mentioned swimming and walking. But it sounds like you dug deep and went all out. Which is for sure one strategy, but it's ok to put less into it, and never become out of breath doing cardiovascular exercise.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Mindset plays a big role. It sounds like you're only trying these pursuits because "it's good for you". Viewing exercise as a necessary evil has never worked well for me. I 100% do not like to run or do any sort of cardio, but if I can mentally rephrase the purpose of it as a warm-up to lifting, improving my athleticism, and/or see how fast I can do a distance I can tolerate it. As for the act itself, I'm best off with an out-and-back route. Trying to do laps in our subdivision or even plod away on the treadmill listening to a podcast or watching TV given the opportunity to stop, I will... I've seen me do it. Same with lifting, I tried doing P90X and P90X3 to get "shredded fast" and I just didn't like the concept and was just going through the motions because I had to. Switching to a powerlifting/bodybuilding hybrid approach changed that mindset to improving my strength by x lbs or make my arms, chest, legs, etc. look better. Sure, I don't necessarily like getting up at 5am to lift before work but I'm happier when I do because I know I'm working towards my performance and physique goals. Very much n=1 observations but that's what works for me. Make it less "I need to do X because it's good for me" (or burns Y calories) and more about stimulating, improving, and enjoying what your body can do.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. I HATE exercising. Hate it. Would rather clean the toilet at the 7 11.

I just go to the gym when there is something I like to watch on tv and walk on the treadmill until the show is over.

Bought a zoo membership so I go and walk for a few hours there...see the animals, watch the tourists.

I clean the house; up and down the stairs etc. Decided to paint the house. I park the car super far away from the grocery store if I need to go shop. Every step counts.

Just (re) started trying to drop the weight and I'm down two pounds. Patience.
    I would rather clean the toilet at 7 11..LOL...that perfectly sums up my hatred for exc..LOL

• larcny2
    larcny2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do not enjoy exercise, nor do I really have the free time. My compromise is to do stairs at work. I happen to work in a 12 story building and work on the top floor. So I walk all the way down to the lobby and I'm slowly building up the amount of floors I climb. I'm currently at 9. I try for 3 times a day. mostly do it twice. I don't power climb. I just climb at a steady pace.

While climbing the stairs I play Candy Crush. It keeps my mind off the "this sucks" part and I'm motivated because I'm now hundreds of levels ahead of my husband, which bothers him and that brings me joy. LOL

Is there a way you can do something "active" that involves something you like?

As an example - I love video games. When we still had a treadmill I had it set up that I only allowed myself to play the game while walking on the treadmill. I could easily get in 3 miles while playing a game I enjoy vs hating every second of it if I went for a walk in my neighborhood.

An idea I saw above which I like is don't just walk to walk - go to a local shelter and walk the dogs. It's good for both you and them. I think you'll be much more successful if you find a way to move while doing something you already enjoy vs planned exercise.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. I second the idea to volunteer somewhere where a lot of movement is required...it feels purposeful, not like exercise. A few years back I started volunteering at a farmed animal sanctuary/rescue. They're all over the country and you can find one close to you just by doing an internet search, though sometimes it's an hour or so drive which means it's a weekend activity. You have to be okay with getting dirty, but mucking stalls, lifting hay bales, cleaning, and lugging buckets and wheelbarrows of water or food back and forth is cardio and strength training all in one. It really doesn't feel like it at all because you're so focused on the task. The bonus is getting to hang out with and being loved on by cute rescued animals during and after and especially watching them enjoy their clean bedding when you're done.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I love exercise, all of it, especially with other people. Not all of us are alike, I wish I was the intellectual type that like to go to school and study, etc but I am not. Do what is best for you.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    How does anyone hate hiking? Did somebody bring you on a steep and nasty trail for your first time? Maybe try an easier trail with a big payoff?

I love hiking. I would never call it fun, and the enjoyable part isn't sweating up a hill being bit by flies and mosquitoes, that's stuff I put up with for the views and the time with nature.

I loathe hiking because it involves the two things I find most uncomfortable and exhausting: walking and being outside.

I only go for walks because the alternative is leg pain and swollen feet and that sucks more. Often when we go for a walk, we go to the mall and walk there because it's air conditioned and I won't get bit, stung or sunburned. I'm terrified of sunburn.

More to the point, OP, have you tried video games? I know some people who love Wii Fit still, or DDR. I play virtual reality games. Burns lots of calories dodging bullets or punching things. But it's not exercise, I don't do it to exercise, I play because I like games and getting high scores and I don't have to be around people.

Thanks for sharing. This doesn't compute for me because my cabin fever is so strong and being outside is what makes me feel better. Anyway, it goes to show how different we can be. Sounds like you have things under control though. :smile:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    talhonjik wrote: »

There were questions about what I dislike about exercise, and what my goals are - what I dislike is mostly the physical pain and discomfort. For cardio, it’s being out of breath (lungs burning/heart pounding), too hot and muscles burning; and for strength stuff it’s the muscle pain, that painful feeling like your muscles might snap or cramp or something. Then there’s the aftereffects - feeling tired and groggy for ages afterwards, and your body aching. As far as I can tell, that’s just what any exercise feels like; I walk to work and back every day, and I get those same unpleasant sensations from that walk (although of course far less than from other exercise).

As for what my goals are - I’d love to say they are primarily to be physically fit and healthy in order to have a long life without health problems, and of course I do want that too - but if I’m honest, what really drives me is the idea of not being overweight and being able to look the way I want to in clothes I want to wear. It sounds shallow, but that’s the way it is.

It’s a great idea to push through the painful, horrible part of exercise by doing it repeatedly until it gets less awful - it’s just proved really hard for me to dig up the motivation to do something regularly for months that I’m REALLY not enjoying. A few years ago I tried to do that with swimming, which I kind of hate the least; I made it through several months of swimming 2-3 times a week, but it never seemed to get any less unpleasant or hard and eventually I (possibly unwisely) gave up. Hence why I was wondering if there was a trick to learning to hate it less, which might get me through the difficult months.
    I think the issue is that you're doing too much too soon. You're going doing whatever exercise too intensely. With regards to the part that I bolded - you shouldn't necessarily have to do that because what you're doing shouldn't be painful, at least not at the beginning. If that's what you associate with exercise then it's no wonder you don't like it - I wouldn't either if those were my first experiences with it.

In short - slow down. I wonder if it might be worth taking a beginners class at some activity. Preferably one that involves allowing you to go at your own pace.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

There is a reason they make sunblock and UPF clothing. :)

There's always something left uncovered. Coated myself in sunscreen once only to discover my ears weren't covered properly, and they burned so bad the skin melted off.

I've burnt the top of my head so bad I couldn't lay down, and once I burned the whites of my eyes. I've also burned through sunscreen.

The sun is the enemy, and who wants to spend three hours layering on multiple sets of clothing and chemicals just to go outside and be sweaty and chased by bees? Not me. No thanks.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    If you live in Seattle, you know the sun as "that yellow thing in the sky that we see 2 or 3 times a year." ☹️
  • mim619
    mim619 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do you know anyone who likes exercise? That would maybe be willing to drag you and help ease you in without the pain?

I love exercise, I love seeing what my body is capable of and how much more I can do. 2 extra reps on last week's weight, run for an extra 5 min before I have to stop.

My husband.... Hates it! All of it, he gives me the sourest looks especially when I add in a new exercise that he has never done before. He feels awkward and judged for not being strong. He hates running and has once or twice (lovingly) cussed me out for what I ask him do. But occasionally (and more often here lately) he says "thank you for making me do this" he has lost 100lbs and kept it off for a few years now. When people ask him "how did/do you do it" his response is always. "I just do what she tells me to" lol

You might be able to get a similar sort of help from a trainer I don't know because I've never used one. But they could definitely help so that you aren't overworking anything.