for the love of spinach.

Options
adross3
adross3 Posts: 606 Member
Hello mfp friends,

I love spinach and the way it males me feel after I eat it. Please share your recipies and calorie count.

Replies

• futbolkt21
    Options
    sauteed with mushrooms and garlic!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Raw baby spinach with mandarin oranges (and/or watermelon, red grapes, strawberries) is a favorite salad of mine.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    chop 1 cup of spinach, mix with 2Tbs of softened 1/3 less fat cream cheese. Pound thin 4 oz. chicken breast. Spread spinach mixture on breast and roll thick side first. secure with toothpicks and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 min.
    Per Serving:

258 calories

3 carbs

10 fat

30 protein

592 sodium
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I hate spinach, lol! I put a handful of rinsed spinach into my smoothie most morning, and whatever other evil veggies I can hide in there.
  • cherylwimmers
    cherylwimmers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wilted down in my scrambled eggs, or omelet, whichever way it turns out!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya! I make these on the weekend, then take 'em to work all week for lunches and snacks.

Mini-quiche: makes 6.
    6 large eggs
    Pepper (to taste; optional)
    A few shakes of hot sauce
    Salsa (try to find one with no sugar or corn syrup) or diced jalapenos
    10 oz.box frozen spinach OR equivalent amount of chopped fresh spinach
    Parmesan cheese (or shredded cheese of your choice)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin pan.
    Blend the eggs, pepper and hot sauce.
    Drop about a tablespoon of frozen spinach and a half tablespoon of salsa into each cup. Fill with the egg mixture then top with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
    Bake at 350 about 35-40 minutes.
    Let them cool for about 15 minutes and they pop right out.
    (If using fresh spinach, you won't need to cook as long. Start checking them with a toothpick after 25 minutes, & remove when the toothpick comes out clean.)
    These can be individually wrapped & refrigerated or frozen for later, they microwave well.
    Nutrition: this info was compiled using frozen spinach and Kirkland’s organic salsa.
    Cal: 99 carbs: 3g fat: 6g protein: 9g sugar: 1g sodium: 206 m
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a big spinach fan but have recently started switching out spinach in some recipes with swiss chard. OMG i went to a workshop at a botanical garden and we picked out own swiss chard from the planting area and made these grilled swiss chard packets filled with part skim mozzarella and sliced heirloom tomatoes! To Freakin Die For!!!
  • fronc
    fronc Posts: 41
    Options
    Bump
  • bonitasprings
    bonitasprings Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love this juice drink. I alter it a little and put in a lot more spinach and cucumber. I also buy the lime juice in one of those plastic containers shaped like a lime because they are too expensive to buy a lot of. Just shove it all in a juicer (not a blender). It really curbs my hunger because it's so full of vitamins and minerals my body feels satisfied. I could drink one everyday but I'm too lazy to clean all the blender parts daily. Yes I'm lazy.

Dr. Oz's Green Juice

2 cups spinach
    2 cups cucumber
    1 head of celery
    1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger
    1 bunch parsley
    2 apples
    Juice of 1 lime
    Juice of 1 lemon
  • lizajanetoo
    lizajanetoo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Cream" Spinach and Shrimp Grits

2 cups frozen spinach, 1 wedge of Garlic and Herb LCC, 7 shrimp. Season with garlic and seasoning salt.

Place spinach in sauce pan and cook until thawed, add shrimp and LCC. Heat till shrimp is cooked and cheese is melted.

You can also add onion, mushroom, and bell peppers for more taste and texture.

Add to 1 package of prepared instant grits. YUM.

@ 295 calories
  • Janeeemonettt
    Janeeemonettt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I saute spinach with olive oil garlic mushrooms and a little salt. Cook up a trader joes fresh ground turkey patty and cooka approx 4 1/2 mins on eacha side. Top with 1/4c shredded mozzarella, veggies and allow it to melt. Put on a honey whole wheat bun and enjoy!
  • adross3
    Options
    Cream" Spinach and Shrimp Grits

2 cups frozen spinach, 1 wedge of Garlic and Herb LCC, 7 shrimp. Season with garlic and seasoning salt.

Place spinach in sauce pan and cook until thawed, add shrimp and LCC. Heat till shrimp is cooked and cheese is melted.

You can also add onion, mushroom, and bell peppers for more taste and texture.

Add to 1 package of prepared instant grits. YUM.

@ 295 calories
    Perfect recipie for me. I'll add it. Nice lite snack'me.
  • adross3
    Options
    I saute spinach with olive oil garlic mushrooms and a little salt. Cook up a trader joes fresh ground turkey patty and cooka approx 4 1/2 mins on eacha side. Top with 1/4c shredded mozzarella, veggies and allow it to melt. Put on a honey whole wheat bun and enjoy!
    A thousand ways to add spinach.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like this spinach salad:

1-2 cup baby spinach leaves
    1 tablespoon gorgonzola cheese crumbles
    2 tablespoons Wishbone Light Balsamic & Basil Vinegarette
    1/4 cup walnut halves or chopped

Yummmmm!
  • billak
    billak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1 Onions
    1/2 Green and 1/2 red peppers
    Fresh baby spinach ( this can be omitted)
    2 eggs scrambled with a little salt & pepper ( this can be omitted)
    1/2 can of black beans rinsed well
    1 can of pink salmon.
    Garlic ( fresh or the powder) and cayenne pepper to taste
    A little olive oil.

Scramble eggs and set aside.
    Lightly saute onions and peppers with fresh garlic then add cayenne to taste, ( you can add fresh baby spinach here)
    Add 1 can of pink salmon, break up. Add black beans and eggs. Cook on low until hot.
    Eat plain or with rice.
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    Spinach is awesome! I love it in fresh salads or thrown in pasta with mushrooms and garlic with a dash of olive oil. It also adds a nice flavor to omlets with chopped onions and salsa with fat free sourcream. You can't go wrong with spinach. Yum!
  • Magic_Girl
    Magic_Girl Posts: 158
    Options
    bump
  • MysterriGal
    MysterriGal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love love love spinach. Going to make the mini quiche!
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding vinegar to steamed spinach? I love to steam it add about 2-3 tsp of vinegar and some sea salt. It really brings out the flavor.