Why do I get bloated in the summer?

I feel puffier, bloated and heavier since it's been hot outside. During the winter I have more definition in my stomach and feel slimmer. What can I do/take to help with this? I've maintained the same weight for months but my stomach is just not right. I know water retention, magnesium or potassium imbalance may be causes? Any advice or tips and appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I swell up like a balloon in the heat. And it doesnt even need to be that hot either, anything over about 24 and I get tummy aches and swelling, particularly around my ankles
  • frezisha
    frezisha Posts: 21 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    I swell up like a balloon in the heat. And it doesnt even need to be that hot either, anything over about 24 and I get tummy aches and swelling, particularly around my ankles

I thought I was crazy! I keep making sure I'm eating right, drinking a lot of water & knew there was something else going on..so it is this ridiculous heat!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Electrolyte drinks or a supplement (I use MyProtein's tablet form as only really drink water most of the time).
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Yep, it's the heat and humidity. 😩
  • frezisha
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Yep, it's the heat and humidity. 😩

I hate it sooo much!! 😩
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Salt balance (because of heat, humidity, and fluids). Like people say, electrolytes. Drink fluids. My mother recommends taking a hot bath or shower and drinking ice water with lemon. It works for me.
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    Thank you so much for asking this question. I have been wondering the same thing.
    I am sorry you are experiencing this discomfort, but please know that you are not alone. You never are!!

In my situation, I do still fret that it is fat gain -- and not just water weight.

If it is not inappropriate, I would like to pose another question in this discussion:
    Is there a way to distinguish between fat gain and water weight gain, without using a scale or other forms of measurement (personal preference)?

One more pesky question: Any opinions on Mio water enhancers? I've been doing some research on this, but I am wondering about YOUR ideas regarding the effects "zero-calorie" (??) water flavorings have on fat loss!

Thank you so much. Stay hydrated, and be well (:
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited July 2019
    Heat.

My feet get bloated like no tomorrow during the summer.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    For me, I can always tell the difference between weight gain and water gain and it's simple: my rings are too tight overnight ... water gain! Weight gain, as noted above, creeps up on you slowly, but water retention not so much. If my wedding ring has suddenly become tight, I know what it is and I know it's time to watch salt intake, drink a ton of water, and wait for the scale to change. This pretty much happens after a restaurant meal. SO much salt that you can't control in restaurant food. I ask for no extra salt to be thrown on before serving, but it's still there in everything before that. And I love places that tell me: "We don't use salt." HA! But summer also does this to me.
  • frezisha
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    For me, I can always tell the difference between weight gain and water gain and it's simple: my rings are too tight overnight ... water gain! Weight gain, as noted above, creeps up on you slowly, but water retention not so much. If my wedding ring has suddenly become tight, I know what it is and I know it's time to watch salt intake, drink a ton of water, and wait for the scale to change. This pretty much happens after a restaurant meal. SO much salt that you can't control in restaurant food. I ask for no extra salt to be thrown on before serving, but it's still there in everything before that. And I love places that tell me: "We don't use salt." HA! But summer also does this to me.

Makes sense! As you mentioned it appears I have more water weight going on...Do you do high protein days to get the salt retention down?
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    @frezisha : nope. Maybe you’re supposed to but I always just drink water
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    frezisha wrote: »

Makes sense! As you mentioned it appears I have more water weight going on...Do you do high protein days to get the salt retention down?

AFAIK, protein doesn't affect water retention caused by salt consumption. Drinking a little extra water (not massive amounts, but within reason) may help with shedding water weight from salt consumption, but is less likely to help if the water retention is from some other cause.

Major water retention (which it doesn't sound like you have) can be a medical issue. People who think they have extreme retention that won't go away should see their doctor.

The rest of us are (IMO only) best served by learning that it's part of how a healthy body functions, and living with it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    frezisha wrote: »

Water in, water out. Flush water retention out by drinking water.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    In the summer, I tend to do two things that can cause water retention:

1) I'm more active...although the weather is mild here, so I'm not working out in the heat or humidity, and
    2) I go out to more restaurants, parties, etc., where I eat differently than I otherwise would at home.

So in addition to the things people already mentioned, it's worth considering whether your summer routine is similar to mine :)