No food cravings until I start eating for the day

Options
For some reason lately I don't ever feel hunger pangs, however I know once 11 AM rolls around I should probably eat something anyways. The problem is once I start eating I just can't stop. There is still no feeling of hunger during these times. It's like once I taste food I just want to eat all day long until I explode!!! Does anyone have any tips on how to combat this?
I have tried high fiber foods, I've tried protein rich meals, I've tried drinking loads of water. Nothing makes the cravings stop until I fall asleep and stop eating. Then once I eat the next day the cycle repeats itself. It feels like torture. I'm trying to maintain my weight but I've gained 4 lbs in a week because I've "given in" to these binge cravings. :(

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    What are you eating in the morning?

Are you filling out the food diary?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    For some reason lately I don't ever feel hunger pangs, however I know once 11 AM rolls around I should probably eat something anyways. The problem is once I start eating I just can't stop. There is still no feeling of hunger during these times. It's like once I taste food I just want to eat all day long until I explode!!! Does anyone have any tips on how to combat this?
    I have tried high fiber foods, I've tried protein rich meals, I've tried drinking loads of water. Nothing makes the cravings stop until I fall asleep and stop eating. Then once I eat the next day the cycle repeats itself. It feels like torture. I'm trying to maintain my weight but I've gained 4 lbs in a week because I've "given in" to these binge cravings. :(

If I eat before 11 a.m. I am hungry all day long regardless of what I eat or macro balance. So, I don't. No reason you have to eat in the morning.

Also, it allows me to have two larger meals and a snack before bed; all of which I find much more satiating.

It's really not uncommon at all.

Playing with macros for the rest of the day to find what is most satiating for you is the best bet. Not everyone feels full by the same things. I find carbs more filing than fat for example.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Kami3006, you and I are so opposite! I need protein as soon as I get up. Protein is the most satiating macro for me. I agree that carbs give me more of that big Sunday dinner full feeling. But if I don’t have protein early, by 7 pm, I am standing in front of the fridge with the door open, eating it all. Looking for energy to finish the day.
    I eat 4 meals a day, as well as a snack or two.
    Everyone has their own thing.
    One thing that helps me a little when I keep wanting to eat is to brush my teeth and use mouthwash.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you need to eat by 11am. Many people here follow "intermittent fasting" where they only eat within certain eating windows. Some only eat one meal a day. Maybe it is better for you to start eating later and get all of your calories within a shortened time frame.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Kami3006, you and I are so opposite! I need protein as soon as I get up. Protein is the most satiating macro for me. I agree that carbs give me more of that big Sunday dinner full feeling. But if I don’t have protein early, by 7 pm, I am standing in front of the fridge with the door open, eating it all. Looking for energy to finish the day.
    I eat 4 meals a day, as well as a snack or two.
    Everyone has their own thing.
    One thing that helps me a little when I keep wanting to eat is to brush my teeth and use mouthwash.

LOL, my husband is the same way. :)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that you didn't "gain" 4 pounds. That would mean you would have had to have eaten 14000 calories above maintenance for the week. That seems highly unlikely. More likely that you had something happen that caused a water weight spike. Maybe related to your diet, maybe not.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It's totally fine to hold off eating if you want or think it would be helpful. You don't need to eat at 11 am if you aren't hungry.

That said, it really sounds more like a habitual type thing. What's going on when you want to eat? Is food around you? Are you home and the kitchen is right there? Are you bored or stressed?

I used to snack too much for reasons other than hunger, and that was how I gained a good bit of the weight I lost. What I decided to do when I started here was take my calorie goal super seriously, not eat without logging, and --especially helpful for me -- to pick out a regular meal schedule (I prefer 3 meals, but different patterns work for different people, and I now often do 2 on Friday-Sunday), and then not eat between meals, period.

The transition was not that hard -- the first week I wanted to eat at various times and I let myself eat raw veg, and then I just adjusted to eating at my meals. I also would be reflective when I wanted to eat and journal a bit (on a computer) about the fact I wanted to eat even though I was not reasonably likely to be hungry, so brainstormed about why. Or I'd have coffee. ;-) Part of it is learning that wanting to eat and not eating when you are going to eat pretty soon (later that day) anyway is not actually a big deal (I'd sometimes use thoughts about food as an excuse to plan dinner).

I mention all this only because you said you aren't actually hungry when you are snacking, so it sounded more habitual, as I said. If it's hunger, I'd maybe push off eating so you don't start up the hunger.